Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: UK Member looking for a ride in Smokey Mountain area.  (Read 1453 times)

andpopse

• Junior CVO Member
UK Member looking for a ride in Smokey Mountain area.
« on: January 12, 2015, 11:55:44 AM »

After looking at SBB's post on the roads in this area, I got to thinking........

If I could afford flights and some accommodation / food, and could find another CVO member with a HD to spare for a week or two,  I could come and visit these great roads around Maggie Valley, you all rave about.

So there it is,  if you are based in that area and think you can help with the lend / hire of a HD       ( preferably Ultra Classic or Similar) please let me know.

My Wife and I would wanting to do this for 2 weeks or so, anytime between 20th July - 30th August this year.

Of course details would need to discussed, such as insurance cover and you would need to be comfortable that great care would be taken of your Bike.  I fully understand that, and am a responsible mature rider that has ridden in USA before.

I have been a member here for 7 years and own a 2007 Jester.   I would emphasise that I don't expect something for nothing, it's just that official hire costs even as a HOG member are just too high to make this visit viable.

Look forward to hearing from someone
Andy and Jen
2007 FLHTCUSE2
2011 Yamaha R6
2004 Smart Brabus Roadster
and an old Garelli Tiger in Bits at Present
Previous Bikes
08 Yamaha R6
Triumph Sprint 1050 st
Ducati st4
Fireblade
etc.etc.

andpopse

• Junior CVO Member
Re: UK Member looking for a ride in Smokey Mountain area.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 02:09:06 PM »

Just to clarify, I am happy to pay money / hire.  So if anyone can suggest a suitable company that could do me a good deal, please let me know
Don't be shy !
Thanks All
Andy and Jen
2007 FLHTCUSE2
2011 Yamaha R6
Previous Bikes
08 Yamaha R6
Triumph Sprint 1050 st
Ducati st4
Fireblade
etc.etc.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 02:23:39 PM »

I live near a good many of the rides Chip mentioned. There are 3 HD stores near me. One not so near, but more central to the area you are wanting to ride would be Asheville HD. I will be more than happy to assist in any way I can if you nail down some dates, desired lodging, etc. Not many people will loan/rent their scooters to an unknown person, and while I'm sure you are very responsible person & the fact that you have been a member on the site for over seven yrs is good, finding a ride beside someone like HD is gonna be tough. Good luck and let me know if I can help in any other way.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

andpopse

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 03:33:20 PM »

Hi 2k,
And thanks for the reply, I did think its a long shot to find someone who would loan / rent their scooter, but maybe someone has a 2nd or 3rd scoot that they were not quite so precious about ?
I guess a normal shop rental will probably be my only option.
If you are able to find out some rental costs for say 2 weeks sometime within my timeframe that would be most helpful.
Regarding where to stay, we would be open to ideas, happy with mid range motels through to rustic log cabin type ( went to stiurgis in 2012 and saw some fab log cabins nearby ).  Being a Brit, we don't get much of that style here, they do appeal to us.  We could do a few days in several locations, and would welcome your local knowledge.  Our idea trip would be some days a few hours ride and several days of non riding, visiting interesting places.
We are really open to suggestions
Many thanks. Andy
2007 FLHTCUSE2
2011 Yamaha R6
Previous Bikes
08 Yamaha R6
Triumph Sprint 1050 st
Ducati st4
Fireblade
etc.etc.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 05:32:16 PM »

Little Switzerland would be a good location for riding, not much else in that area. Maggie Valley has good rides in any direction and many other things not ride related. If my trip was 50/50 ride/tourist.......the Valley hands down. I will check out the rental rates for the whole 2 weeks and you can trim as necessary. Sounds like a UC or RG would best, but if you aint packing tons a RK or SG would be fine. Will PM you some prices.                                          Jimmy
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

andpopse

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 05:35:10 PM »

Thanks Jimmy,
Probably UC or RG as wifey will need space for her stuff. 
Really appreciate your help
Andy
2007 FLHTCUSE2
2011 Yamaha R6
Previous Bikes
08 Yamaha R6
Triumph Sprint 1050 st
Ducati st4
Fireblade
etc.etc.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 06:18:07 PM »

I can add that the wife and I rented from Tilley's HD in Salisbury NC in the past and they are good people to deal with. Current rental rate is $75.00/day (US) for a 2015 Electra Glide Limited and they do require a security deposit(usually by credit card authorization) when you pick up the bike.
We were in the area dropping off our daughter at college and made a vacation out of it for the two of us.

we managed it this way ----  We rented an SUV one way from our home in Connecticut for the trip down  to High Point NC and after our daughter was moved into the dorm we drove to the dealer  in Salisbury and picked up the bike (we rented an Electra Glide Ultra) and dropped off the rental SUV immediately after picking up the bike. After a 7 day trip out to the Outer Banks of NC we rode to Greensboro airport, picked up a rental car (proved easier and just as cost effective as a taxi) I rode the bike to the dealership with the wife following in the rental car. We returned the bike and then went out for dinner before checking into a hotel  in Greensboro. The following morning we returned the rental car and took a flight from Greensboro airport home..

As you can tell there are many ways to do this, fly into Charlotte and rent from the dealer there....or fly into an airport of your choice that is located in the vicinity of a dealership the offers rentals and arrange your ground transportation to the dealer to pick up the bike upon arrival and of course back to the airport(or nearby hotel that offers an airport shuttle) when you ready to go home..    A little thoughtful planning and you'll be amazed how it all will work out
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.