Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Which Air Cleaner Is Best?  (Read 2829 times)

laynlow

Which Air Cleaner Is Best?
« on: May 01, 2009, 06:56:44 AM »

I have a 2009 SERG and I'm looking to free up some TQ/HP. I'm starting by getting that fricken CAT out of the head pipe, then looking into some various slip-ons. I want to change out the OE air cleaner set-up and put something else on there that not only works good but looks good as well.

Any suggestions and pic's would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
Re: Which Air Cleaner Is Best?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 07:56:15 AM »

I used the Ness Big Sucker back-plate & K&N filter under the stock SE cover.
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 08:18:13 AM »

:bananarock:

The options are many but here are a few.

Fuel Moto sells a Stage one AC kit for a reasonable dollar ($140????) in non-chrome back plate.  They also sell a chrome backplate (no idea on the price) that looks like chrome.  My Se Ultra has the non-chrome and matches the engine fins just fine either.  Either is a great choice.

You can go with the Arlen Ness series and they look good and work well.

All of these will free up the breathing.

With a new AC, non-cat pipes and a free flowing exhaust, I would suggest installing a Power Commander V with autotune, Master tune TTS, fuel pak from V&H or some other fuel management system.  I am not particularly fond of the HD SSERT but a lot of bikes have them.

I have Rinehart slip-ons on my my bike and truly love the sound.  Pipes are a very subjective thing.  Lots of guys go 2 into 1, true duals, Full Sac replacement baffles ( another good choice because you can pick how loud you want), V&H pro Pipes with V&H slipons, Jackpots', Bub 7's, Rush and I am sure a whole lot more.

I spent about an hour on the phone with the Fuel Moto people and they were great.

Yes, let the beast breathe and be free.  The cat alone is a huge improvement.

:soapbox:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 08:46:41 AM »

I have a 2009 SERG and I'm looking to free up some TQ/HP. I'm starting by getting that fricken CAT out of the head pipe, then looking into some various slip-ons. I want to change out the OE air cleaner set-up and put something else on there that not only works good but looks good as well.

Thanks!!
Here is the one I put on mine, the SE Heavy Breather.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 08:53:16 AM »

:P

Looks great. 

I almost went with the HD.  Is it a true K&N or equivalent?

8)
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 1999 Road King

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 08:53:57 AM »

I was under the impression the SERG already comes with the new high flow oval filter.  I haven't seen any flow numbers for that unit, but I seriously doubt you would see an improvement by just changing to a regular SE round element air cleaner or the Ness Big Sucker.  Plus you would need a new cover, since that oval cover with the cutouts would look a little goofy with a little round element.

If you want more flow, you will have to go with something that offers a lot more filter surface area than stock.  How about a Heavy Breather? 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 08:56:12 AM »

Here is the one I put on mine, the SE Heavy Breather.

Dave

I like that one but my understanding is that you can run lowers with that breather.
But if your not then it's a great option!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 08:58:51 AM »

:o

Yes the HD standard is a high flow AC but it is still the paper version with more surface area.  One of my riding buddies has the SERG 09 and changed it to the K&N setup.  And yes, he had to change the entire outside.  He said it was worth it.  When I changed my SE Ultra, it had a very similar filter (if not identical to the SERG) it was just covered up.

:mango:

Former 1999 Road King

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 09:14:18 AM »

Dave

I like that one but my understanding is that you can run lowers with that breather.
But if your not then it's a great option!

:2vrolijk_21:

What about if it rains or how do you wash the bike.  Would it hurt it if it gets wet?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 09:54:22 AM by 49445CVO »
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »

Thanks!!

IF NOT RELACING HEADPIPE WITH FACTORY NON-CAT, MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE BOTH CATS, ZIPPERS OFFERS A GOOD PERFORMING AND LOOKS, THEY REFER TO IT AS "MAX FLO"
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 10:55:06 AM »

Thanks!!
The stock RG AC is pretty good. Only showed a 2HP loss on the dyno. The SE Heavy breather shows no HP loss and about a 2 ft torque increase due to the intake length increase. But if you don't like the looks..............

Steve
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

laynlow

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 11:14:03 AM »

If at all possible I would like to keep the SERG OE air cleaner set up. If I'm missing something please let me know, but is there anything I can do to beef up what I have. Does K&N make a filter to the SERG air cleaner? Is there another back plate I can use and still keep my SE cover?

Thanks Guys!

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 12:02:03 PM »

If at all possible I would like to keep the SERG OE air cleaner set up. If I'm missing something please let me know, but is there anything I can do to beef up what I have. Does K&N make a filter to the SERG air cleaner? Is there another back plate I can use and still keep my SE cover?

Thanks Guys!

check link below, PN 117-448C (chrome) of course  ;D
http://www.zippersperformance.com/catalogue/showproduct.asp?cat=588&prod=2207
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 03:31:36 PM »

Ditto:

Former 1999 Road King

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 03:43:13 PM »

Thanks Guys!

Supposedly K&N was working on a replacement filter element for the SERG/Ventilator air cleaner, but I haven't seen any info yet saying it's available.  Try sending them a note or giving them a call. 
http://www.knfilters.com/contact.htm

BTW, there is no guarantee that a K&N replacement element would necessarily flow any more than the stock element.  But it would definitely be of higher quality and would last the life of the bike.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 20 queries.