Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Larger Rear Tire  (Read 7581 times)

btyner

Re: Larger Rear Tire
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2008, 07:49:17 PM »

I'm running a 140 right now and I get some hard rubbing when backing up. Rolling forward is no problem, but when backing up it makes an awful sound. It also scuffs up the Wide White Wall too. My next tire will be a 130.

I appreciate the real experience feedback.  Strange it only makes a sound backing up.
BenT

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2008, 11:36:03 PM »

I appreciate the real experience feedback.  Strange it only makes a sound backing up.

I saw how that sound originated when the tire was installed. When rolling forward, the belt rides against the outside edge if the rear sprocket. When backing up, it tracks over and rides against the inside edge of the rear sprocket. This slight movement to the inside is enough to make the inside edge of the belt scuff the tire sidewall.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

RANDYSEI2

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2008, 12:30:03 AM »

Great site for the fltrsei2 guys, ben. Twenty five replies and no info at all. I have not changed the size for weight and trailer reasons. Good luck on your next post. Maybe someone with a sporster will tell you about their dog brush.... RANDY

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2008, 11:36:19 AM »

Here the hell I am Don welcome Btyner I have heard of 140 and 150s on glides so I tried a 140 and it rubed the bracket on the rear fender that holds the light on the bottom of the fender so bad I went back to a 130.

OTIS

Great site for the fltrsei2 guys, ben. Twenty five replies and no info at all. I have not changed the size for weight and trailer reasons. Good luck on your next post. Maybe someone with a sporster will tell you about their dog brush.... RANDY

Maybe you should try reading all of the posts next time it may help, you sound confused.

OTIS
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2008, 12:44:38 PM »

Maybe you should try reading all of the posts next time it may help, you sound confused.

OTIS

I know what that feels like  :D

B B

kurtlange

• Full CVO Member
  • chrome me
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »

.... Twenty five replies and no info at all. .....Good luck on your next post. Maybe someone with a sporster will tell you about their dog brush.... RANDY

now that's funny...

btyner, i've got a 140 metzler on the rear of my eg. didn't rub when it was lowered 1 1/2" or when it's at stock height. no rubbage on the belt guard but i don't back up much so i guess that didn't matter to me.  ;)

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2008, 07:02:48 PM »

My $.02 here.

With a 18" wheel 3.5" wide I was running a 150 on my 01 with what would have been a trimming of the belt guards. I choose to remove them. The clearance is REAL tight with the bracket under the fender that ties the saddlebags together. I loosened the bolts that tie the fender bracket to the saddlebag brackets and gave it as much clearance as possible. It fit. I wasn't totally comfortable with it so when I was due for a new tire I went back to a 140. This is my 5th-6th 140 tire on the bike. I have no issues with the 140.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2008, 06:19:11 AM »

If you mean the widest, I think it would be the MU85B or 140.. wide tire.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

btyner

« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2008, 08:51:53 PM »

it's alright....think I got the answer I was lookin for.  Figure if the thread ran long enough, we'd get around to why I have to get up to pee twice after going to bed.   ;D
BenT

btyner

« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2008, 08:56:44 PM »

now that's funny...

btyner, i've got a 140 metzler on the rear of my eg. didn't rub when it was lowered 1 1/2" or when it's at stock height. no rubbage on the belt guard but i don't back up much so i guess that didn't matter to me.  ;)

appreciate the info.

BenT

btyner

« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2008, 08:59:56 PM »

My $.02 here.

With a 18" wheel 3.5" wide I was running a 150 on my 01 with what would have been a trimming of the belt guards. I choose to remove them. The clearance is REAL tight with the bracket under the fender that ties the saddlebags together. I loosened the bolts that tie the fender bracket to the saddlebag brackets and gave it as much clearance as possible. It fit. I wasn't totally comfortable with it so when I was due for a new tire I went back to a 140. This is my 5th-6th 140 tire on the bike. I have no issues with the 140.

I just went back w/ a 130.  It's not a big deal to me, just curious.  I felt around the fender frame at the bottom and it seems a little tight so I decided not to chance it.   BenT
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 09:02:44 PM by btyner »
BenT

btyner

« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2008, 09:01:15 PM »

If you mean the widest, I think it would be the MU85B or 140.. wide tire.
thanks...that's the same size my son has on his RK Custom.  Looks pretty beefy.  BenT
BenT
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.