Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Classic SERG handlebar change--10" "mini apes" Wild 1 515 bars  (Read 1340 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Classic SERG handlebar change--10" "mini apes" Wild 1 515 bars
« on: September 13, 2008, 02:22:56 PM »

Mentioned a few days ago that the SERG had gotten new bars.  Then got a request for a photo.  Being the bike show off whore that I am; here goes.  Didn't take much though.

Had originally planned for this to be a winter chore when the pipes were off as part of a cam change because was assuming the clutch cable would have to be changed also.  Then a couple weeks ago saw a pair of bars listed cheap at a shop only one day's mailing away.  Impatience once out and decided to give it try hoping would get lucky on the clutch cable. 

Fortunately using the 10" "mini apes" from Wild 1 only necessitated changing the front brake line.  The throttle and idle cables and the clutch cable were fine as is.  So lucked out saving both some time and some money there.

Here's the 515s laying against the stock bars.  Wider, more rise and more pullback (if you take advantage of the rise and lean them back some).

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Re: Classic SERG handlebar change--10" "mini apes" Wild 1 515 bars
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 02:25:06 PM »

From the side.  The "ape look" rise could be more and the pullback less.  I wanted more pullback though.  And I'm not wild about an overly pronounced ape look on a bagger.  So leaning them back a bit to me was what I'd planned on and, fortunately, what worked out well.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 02:25:40 PM »

Different view.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 02:26:50 PM »

Same view over the SEEG to compare the 515s to the 575 bars.  Both are wide.  Both are actually pretty tall bars too.  Still lots of difference between their relative rises.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 02:30:38 PM »

First time I'd ever put bars on a Road Glide.  Was surprised not to find the connectors for the harnesses under the clamps inside the speedo/tach nacelle.  Instead it all goes through fairing brackets on the neck and in to the fairing.  So a bit more to take a part to lift the bars off.

Since fairing then had to be off anyway went ahead and put in the oil temp gauge at the same time.  So the bike gained the bars, the oil temp gauge and the heat demons heated grips last week.

I'm very pleased with the feel and position of these bars.  Good height, good reach and a very pleasing look to my eyes. 

Spiderman rode it just a couple days after it was done and his RG has the same bars.  Though his are pushed forward a bit farther than are these.  He can certainly give a different comparison of how they feel though.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 02:54:58 PM »

Look good, Don.

I'm installing a different set of risers on my new ride to get them back a couple of inches and up an inch...shoulders are hurting.

Those look like they are just right on the Glide...don't generally care for apes, but those look nice.  Good job  :2vrolijk_21:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 02:59:57 PM »

Look good, Don.

I'm installing a different set of risers on my new ride to get them back a couple of inches and up an inch...shoulders are hurting.

Those look like they are just right on the Glide...don't generally care for apes, but those look nice.  Good job  :2vrolijk_21:

Especiallly on a bagger I'm not an ape fan either TC.  These are small enough they don't come off too ape-like though.  Fitting between the nacelle and the fixed inner fairing limits the options on the Road Glide a bit.  These feel great (so far) and look good too.   Sure was glad to have the bigger bars to the Heat Demons wtih too.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 03:28:33 PM »

Especiallly on a bagger I'm not an ape fan either TC.  These are small enough they don't come off too ape-like though.  Fitting between the nacelle and the fixed inner fairing limits the options on the Road Glide a bit.  These feel great (so far) and look good too.   Sure was glad to have the bigger bars to the Heat Demons wtih too.

I've just never liked the hands higher than the heart thing....did it back in my 20's, but things tend to go numb a lot more in my 50's.

Those look like they'd be about level, and a nice comfortable reach.  I like 'em.  The fatter bars just look more "right" too...they should come that way.  And with the Heat Demons, you'll be ready to go when the weather turns cooler.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 06:04:42 PM »

I've just never liked the hands higher than the heart thing....did it back in my 20's, but things tend to go numb a lot more in my 50's.

Those look like they'd be about level, and a nice comfortable reach.  I like 'em.  The fatter bars just look more "right" too...they should come that way.  And with the Heat Demons, you'll be ready to go when the weather turns cooler.

With the pullback I gave them hands are just a bit below the shoulders with a nice small bend at the elbows.  Really does seem like it'll be a good spot.  Heat Demons on before MV in case this is the bike that goes.  Ready for fall, that's for sure.  But MV was the thought right now.

Weird thing with the Heat Demons on this one bike too.  Done five sets of them now and this one had a problem.  Only ones I've heard of.  Dangling outside the bars it all worked fine.  Stick the left element in the handlebar and nothing works.

Take the element back out, all works again.  With the element hanging out you can tap the element against the bar and it's just like pushing switch.  Obviously the new left element was grounding.

Symtec was great though.  Called and told them what it was doing.  They didn't ask for receipt or any other kind of proof of purchase from the vendor.  Just stuck another on in the mail the same day.

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.