Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Alternating Break Lights on SERG  (Read 16467 times)

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
Alternating Break Lights on SERG
« on: October 12, 2008, 08:16:59 PM »

Hey gang, on my old bike I had the Kuryakyn Panacea tail lights.  I really like those lights.  They not only look cool they improve safety.  When applying the breaks the LED's flash several times, which gets the idiots attention behind ya.  I know they saved my bacon several times when stopping fast. 

I ridden with the Panacea lights in the city for many years and love them.  Now that I'm riding the SERG I noticed that they are hard to see.  The orange bike and break lights blend together.  Drivers that do not see the lights go on don't realize that I am stopping right away.  They tend to ride up on me a lot closer than I like. 

See and be seen is my motto, so I set out on a quest to address this problem.  My xenon lights take care of the front, but the breaks are a bit more of a challenge on the SERG.  Can't simply change the light or bulb.  In a tread MikeD said he wished he could get his spoiler to do the Knight Rider swooping thing, which got me thinking.  I don't have a spoiler to rig up, so I installed an LED system I found on the web under my tour pack that does the Knight Rider thing when I apply the breaks.  I also installed a flasher that alternates my break lights left to right and then flashes several times in tandem every time I put on the breaks. 

Here's a video of what I've done.  It no doubt gets the attention of the people behind me.  Most don't even get close when at a light. 

:bananarock:

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: Alternating Break Lights on SERG
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 08:20:03 PM »

Most impressive Jim. What happens when you have a turn signal on?

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 08:27:44 PM »

Most impressive Jim. What happens when you have a turn signal on?

Who uses turn signals  :nixweiss:

Kidding, they work like normal.  The breaks will do their flashing thing on the opposite side of the turn signal.  The turn signal flashes like normal when active.  Hazards work the same as well. 

FYI, the rear LED lights have three control feeds.  Break Light, Running Light and Turn Signal.  You splice into the break light portion to get this effect.  The Turn signal overrides the break light when active. It works as if it was designed that way.  No functionality issues whatsoever. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 08:30:29 PM by Jim Kerr »

roady

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 08:44:08 PM »

I like that as well Jim. Very nice. Can you post a link of the flasher that you used and some brief directions on how you did it.

Thanks
09 SERG Electric Orange
05 VW Golf Diesel
00 Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 09:01:18 PM »

I like that as well Jim. Very nice. Can you post a link of the flasher that you used and some brief directions on how you did it.

Thanks

Disclaimer:  This install is not as easy as drilling the cat or installing Fullsac baffles.  It requires a good knowledge of wiring and soldering.  You have to cut into the main break light harness.  It is not plug and play.  When you cut wires you need to make sure they are water tight when you put it back together.   

That said, it is not hard to do this. You just need to be very comfortable working with wiring.  A short could kill your very expensive, probably virtually impossible to replace, break lights. 

To get the alternating flash effect I used a product called Back Off.  There are several types of Back Off flashers that do different patterns; however, not all of them work with LED lights.  Read the specs carefully before ordering.  The one I got is called the wig-wag.  This is the one that alternates left then right and then flashes both.  It works very well on the bikes with two lights side by side like the SERG.  I got mine from Bikers Highway:

http://www.bikerhiway.com/backoff-wig-wag-brake-light-flasher-double-brake-lights-p-14.html

I found the Knight Rider LED on ebay somewhere.  Look around and you can find something similar, but in reality the wig-wag lights are very effective by themselves. 

I won't go into all of the details on the install, but you tap into the rear wire harness under the drivers seat.  The orange/Yellow wire goes to the break lights.  You cut the wiring here and put the Back Off device between the lights and the factory harness.  You also need to tap into the ground wire. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 09:03:39 PM by Jim Kerr »

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 09:04:04 PM »

My Canadian SERG doesn't have the turn signal / brake light combo. I guess from a safety issue it might be better, or at least more visable. I am going to check out the Panacea lights that you speak of.

roady

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 09:06:23 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply Jim. I do have a decent background in electrical and electronics so I would be comfortable doing this.
09 SERG Electric Orange
05 VW Golf Diesel

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 09:08:39 PM »

My Canadian SERG doesn't have the turn signal / brake light combo. I guess from a safety issue it might be better, or at least more visable. I am going to check out the Panacea lights that you speak of.

I saw a pic of a Canadian bike on this site.  The Panacea lights would work for you no problem.  They are an OEM replacement for the standard H-D tail lights and turn signals.  You will not be disappointed with them.  They are bright and clear.  A million times better than stock lights. 

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 09:12:47 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply Jim. I do have a decent background in electrical and electronics so I would be comfortable doing this.

You will not have a problem whatsoever.  Just get out the solder gun and heat shrink tubing. I would not use crimp connectors for this project.  Space is tight and water could short everything out in a heartbeat. The back off device is very small and can easily mount on the rear fender under the drivers seat. 

roady

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »

Sounds good. I don't believe in the crimp style either. Solder and heatshrink is the only way to go.
09 SERG Electric Orange
05 VW Golf Diesel

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 09:32:20 PM »

So, it sounds like you guys are going to make me go out and buy a solder kit...I hate this forum! (jk) I guess that I have to step up to real world electrical connections now, no more electrical tape and crimping the connections.  Actually, it won't cost me anything as my son-in-law already has a couple of solder kits and I asked him earlier today if he would help me with installing my tourpak spoilers and saddlebag spoilers. Nice effects on the rear of your bike Jim.

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 10:07:21 PM »

So, it sounds like you guys are going to make me go out and buy a solder kit...I hate this forum! (jk) I guess that I have to step up to real world electrical connections now, no more electrical tape and crimping the connections.  Actually, it won't cost me anything as my son-in-law already has a couple of solder kits and I asked him earlier today if he would help me with installing my tourpak spoilers and saddlebag spoilers. Nice effects on the rear of your bike Jim.

FYI, Radio Shack sells pretty much everything you need.  Just turn and walk away form the electrical tape ;)  Heat Shrink tubing is the only thing you should use on a bike.  Tape leaks and will eventually deteriorate from the heat.  Crimp connectors corrode and will eventually fail.  The vibration of the bike will also work harden wiring at the crimp and it will snap.  Heat shrink tubing & soldered connections will last forever. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 10:12:14 PM by Jim Kerr »

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 07:50:45 AM »

Jim,

you have outdone yourself on this one.  The cat was awesome, but this is just darn cool and a saftey feature on top of that.  My SERG isnt coming until December, and I have to try this.  It would be very helpful if you could post a few pics and idiot safe instructions for us novices.  Thanks very much.  Ted

Ultra Villa

• Full CVO Member
    • NJ

• CVO1: 14 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 13 FLHX
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 08:45:21 AM »

Geat job, it looks great and increases safety.   :carrot:
Live for today, for yesterday is already gone and tomorrow may never come.

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 09:41:10 AM »

Jim;
  How does it affect the security on the scooter?  When you shut down and turn the bike off, the front and rear lights flash twice.  Have you tried setting off the alarm?   Thanks,

Sam
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.