Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 01 flhrsei  (Read 4527 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: 01 flhrsei
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2005, 02:32:33 AM »

I disagree.I just put 10,000 on my fltrsei2 and I experience (1) eratic idle,looked at several times at dealership.(2)low rpm ping,especially in the summer.(3) 400 rpm higher at crusing speed than all other big twins and twin cams.(4) hard starting sometimes when idle is acting up.So if someone knows the cure before I convert to either delphi or the new zippers conversion,Speak up please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Headpan62

Sounds like EXACTLY the problems I had on my '01 M&M Ultra. When I bought it, I had the dealer install most of the same parts of the CVO SERG. I had the .203 cams, SE intake and exhaust. The bike always ran hot, and pinged and knocked. It had a wandering idle and just ran poorly. In my effort to get the bike running right, I installed 2 oil coolers, and went through 2 TFIs, a PCII, a PCIIIr and now the SERT. The SERT brought the bike "close" but it still ran hot and pinged when heat soaked. For the longest time I thought it was an M&M FI related problem. So much so I considered the expensive change out to Delphi.

Then I installed the AMS package, and the bike runs great. I mean like magic! Runs cool, starts and idles great, no knock or ping. My torque line is flat and the bike pulls long and hard all the way to the redline. As far as I am concerned, Tom and Steve at AMS know their stuff. They told me to keep the SE 95" flat tops and sold me a package that I am so pleased with. They said my problem stemmed from the poor flowing stock OEM heads which retained too much heat, the .030 head gasket which bumped my compression up to 10.25 to 1, and the .203 cams which conflicted with the higher compression. The AMS heads flow much better, and the cermet coated exhaust ports really cut down on the heat. The .043 headgasket lowered my compression to 9.3 to 1, which got rid of the knock. Heavy baggers, they said do not like high compression. I have to say, the bike has never run as good. They also told me that if I changed out my current exhaust for a good 2-1 like the D&D FatCat, I would gain about 10 more HP/TQ. But the bike runs so good now, I really don't want to change a thing.

Now I know there are other good head porters out there that sell their own packages too, SBC, Larry Hardy, Branch, Dwight, and so on. I'm sure they do just as good of a job too. But call AMS and talk to Steve or Tom. Tell them what you want, and how you want the bike to run. Tell them where you want your torque, and what your current and future modifications are, and they will work with you.

It made a world of difference in my bike.
Maybe it will work for yours too.

That's my experience.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.