Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: HID Lights go out when starting---sometimes??  (Read 19820 times)

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
Re: HID Lights go out when starting---sometimes??
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2011, 06:41:16 AM »

Mine are new style digital ballasts.. but they will still drop one of the other on startup.. and the bi-xenons are unaffected by switching to hi/lo... all it does is move the focus poin, not light a second halogen bulb and power the xenon down...

UPDATE:

After a healthy thrash to make the bike ridable to work tonight... so far, moving the power to the battery instead of the HDI running light plug in the fairing seems to work.

One or the other blinks some times on startup, but never goes out, they stay lit at all times so far.. testing to continue...

now to fix the aim issue.

someone here took off the shrouding for the bulb and it seemed to work but I cannot find the thread... guess I have something to do tonight at work.

Gotta love working at night...

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=28425.45

Thanks TN for your input on this... I'll take the fairing off tomorrow and take it apart again... and try it your way. it makes sense as the OE bulb had no shrouding.

What I did discover is that most talk about the bi-xenons moving the cover to change the reflectivity... mine actually moves the bulb in and out  moving the focus point....

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2011, 05:58:43 PM »

Gotta love working at night...

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=28425.45

Thanks TN for your input on this... I'll take the fairing off tomorrow and take it apart again... and try it your way. it makes sense as the OE bulb had no shrouding.

What I did discover is that most talk about the bi-xenons moving the cover to change the reflectivity... mine actually moves the bulb in and out  moving the focus point....

let me know how it works out for ya. i'm running both my tr's that way. got them pointed a tad low so its not obnoxious to other drivers. :nixweiss: when i hit high beam it lights the road up from ditch to ditch. what brand you running? mine is the xeonlink bi-xenons 6000k.

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2011, 06:12:15 PM »

let me know how it works out for ya. i'm running both my tr's that way. got them pointed a tad low so its not obnoxious to other drivers. :nixweiss: when i hit high beam it lights the road up from ditch to ditch. what brand you running? mine is the xeonlink bi-xenons 6000k.

TN

I've been doing so much extracurricular stuff I havent had time to take everything apart again.. guess I'll order my J&M stuff so I can do all of that the next go around.

In the interrim... I have to run the high beams the damn things are set so low.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2011, 03:17:01 AM »

Longterm HID issues:

One went out recently... so I called the guy I purchased the set from and he said he would warranty it for me... It was a failed bulb, the ballasts are fine. Just gota wait for the arrival.

I still ride the bike daily so I needed to make both lights work, so I went to Wallyworld and picked up the Silverstar Ultra in a pair and installed those and corrected the aim... these are pretty nice.

In the interim, I pulled the fuse for the HID, and left the ballasts and everything else in the bike.

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2011, 03:55:20 PM »

Longterm HID issues:

One went out recently... so I called the guy I purchased the set from and he said he would warranty it for me... It was a failed bulb, the ballasts are fine. Just gota wait for the arrival.

I still ride the bike daily so I needed to make both lights work, so I went to Wallyworld and picked up the Silverstar Ultra in a pair and installed those and corrected the aim... these are pretty nice.

In the interim, I pulled the fuse for the HID, and left the ballasts and everything else in the bike.

I've gone through about a dozen Silverstars.  They only last about 6-months, so switched to HID and love 'em.
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.