Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: speedometer  (Read 1824 times)

Ripp

• Junior CVO Member
speedometer
« on: November 27, 2005, 06:29:02 PM »

I have an 01 SERG. Yesterday I was riding in town and the speedometer said between 30 and 35 mph but I could tell I was going faster than that. The tach also confirmed that I was actually doing better than 40 mph, because it was up over 2000 rpm. On my older bikes it would mean a new cable and the part that went on the front axle. With a digital speedometer what is the fix? I have the feeling it might be a more expensive fix. Any help would be much appreciated.

Later Ripp

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
Re: speedometer
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 07:35:05 PM »

Change your tranny fluid and or clean the speedometer sensor.

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 10:01:51 PM »

I have an 01 SERG. Yesterday I was riding in town and the speedometer said between 30 and 35 mph but I could tell I was going faster than that. The tach also confirmed that I was actually doing better than 40 mph, because it was up over 2000 rpm. On my older bikes it would mean a new cable and the part that went on the front axle. With a digital speedometer what is the fix? I have the feeling it might be a more expensive fix. Any help would be much appreciated.

Later Ripp

Mine SERG is a 01 it did the same thing while under warranty the speedometer had to be replaced.

OTIS
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

Ripp

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 10:22:21 PM »

I have just done the 25,000 mile maintenance a couple weeks ago, so I doubt that the fluid needs cleaning. I will check and clean the sensor when I get a chance. One more thing that may have played a part that I didn't say before is earlier that evening I rode in a stop and go Christmas parade for about an hour or more. Any way, thanks for the input.

Later Ripp

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 07:59:40 PM »

On mine, had to clean the sensor regularly also. On one occasion the speedo started running 20-30MPH slower than the tach and traffic indicated and also had some lighting problems. Ended up being an intermittent low voltage wiring problem. I don't have the maint. manual or diagrams anymore but as I remember it, it was fuse block related.
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 10:50:33 PM »

Had this happen on 3 different bikes .. go figure.

1st bike it was the sensor needed cleaning finally they replaced the sensor problem went away.
2nd bike the problem was the speedometer and it needed to be replaced ..
3rd it was the stator / voltage regulator going bad till finally it burned up the stator when it was replaced the problem went away.

Most people I know that have had this problem it ends up being the sensor either needs cleaning or replacing.   Try that first before digging in really deep :)
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.