Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who keeps spare parts?  (Read 2322 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Who keeps spare parts?
« on: January 24, 2013, 02:19:18 PM »

Not necessarily mechanical parts.  We're all better served to have some of the most basic parts at hand for common need.  Was thinking about who (else) horded spare painted or other aging or mftr obsolete parts for the classic SERGs or other old bikes.

Have a tank and side covers and rear fender listed in the selling section now that are redundant spares here after being picked up last week along with some other parts.  But I do have a tank, fairing and side covers spare along with some of the single color parts.  Worry less about those as they are easily painted and the codes are known.  Still have most of them though.  Same with parts for the SERK.  Not a whole bike in spare paint.  But some.

Anyone else like their old ones enough to have collected spares over the years?

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
Re: Who keeps spare parts?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 02:56:39 PM »

I keep my eyes open for parts for the 02 SERK as they can be extremely hard to come by.  She's a keeper so you never know when the need will arise.  Have a lower saddlebag and some other smaller parts.

JW

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 09:53:31 PM »

Val's  :pumpkin: I feel is a keeper. I have a new Outer fairing and Lower Fairings with glove boxes. My  :bananarock: a new Fuel tank and a left bottom saddlebag. Always looking for good deals.

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 10:21:02 PM »

I have lowers with glove boxes and a front fender tucked away for my  :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: and also the original take offs including shark fins :)  I would love to buy all those parts off off you Don but it's just not do-able right now. It is never a bad thing to stock up on obsolete original parts  :2vrolijk_21:

Marty   
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 10:39:11 PM »

I keep everything,

Sold my radio last year and wonder why now, boy I miss that thing....lol

Roy....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 12:19:23 AM »

Spare parts and a decent service parts inventory make late nights in the shop a lot more fun.  There's no pleasure in being in the middle of something and realizing  you have to stop for a couple hours or a day to wait on common parts. 

The painted bits that are obsolete are, admittedly, just an anal retentive form of insurance.  I had quite a few for the SEEG.  Have just about everything for the SERG and have a lot for the SERK.  May never need them.  Obviously hope I don't.  But just in case they're worth their weight and space to have around.

That SERG tank last listed at something like 1600 bucks.  Even the side covers got insanely expensive.  And that's when you could still get them.  Same on the SERK parts.  Those are the hardest to find spares of though.  Almost unobtainable. 

Rimjam

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 09:26:46 AM »

I'm keeping mostly the obsolete mechanical stuff for the '00 SERG  -  ECM & PC (got from you) at the suggestion of tuner (Rod's Performance), got an M-M fuel injection unit from eBay.  Got a new front fender because the orig one is dented.  Other painted parts I'm not too worried about, can find tins & have repainted  -  prefer original stuff but mine's a rider so I try to not be anal about it.

Let me turn this thread around somewhat:  Which mechanical parts would you suggest finding/keeping that are obselete or in very short supply for our classic SERGs?

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 10:05:11 AM »

I have everything I ever took off of my bike, it is a truck load, more than 100 Harley Davidson boxes with the old parts in them after removal for the new part(s) to be installed, plus wheels, rotors, seat and exhaust system, of which I had installed and no box for the old.
Does that count?

;)
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 10:24:32 AM »

M&M parts I got from you which have been used already, and you can never hoard enough shark fins, have three sets still in the original boxes somewhere.  :P   Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 10:57:54 AM »

Let me turn this thread around somewhat:  Which mechanical parts would you suggest finding/keeping that are obselete or in very short supply for our classic SERGs?

None of the mechanical stuff is a HUGE supply issue; yet.  Though some of the it is getting expensive.  Even the M&M throttle bodies still have an aftermarket.  A stupidly expensive aftermarket but it's there.  Stock M&M throttle bodies come and go on eBay.  It's not a consistent market but it's not depleted.  ECMs are the same way.

The old harnesses are going obsolete from Harley.  So watching for some of that isn't a bid idea.  The engine harness is nice to have a spare of.  I've got one very good one and a couple that are a little beat up.  They are just for connectors as parts pieces should I ever need to make a repair rather than replace.

The old instruments are becoming a concern.  Harley has moved well past them.  Again there is an aftermarket but the silver SERG specific instruments were never a high use item for the MoCo anyway.  Even more so now for the pre-04 vintage in question.

As Mother Harley integrates more and more in to the ECM eventually things like TSMs or TSSMs will become harder to get.  But that's still a long way off.  Someone told me a month ago they couldn't get a lean angle sensor, that it was back ordered for a month.  Never verified but sent the guy an old used spare I had on the shelf.

TSSM and bank sensor go away on the touring models if you've added the alarm system; so some of that becomes moot depending on the upgrades done.  Of course can't add the alarm system anymore because the supplemental harness needed to do it has been obsolete for a couple years.

Suppose if I were planning for long term use I'd stash Marelli fuel injectors, an engine harness, the fuel and engine sensors and the gauges, and an ECM as I could find them cheap on eBay.  Some day any of that might bite us in the ass for availability.  The stuff does still show up though.  So no reason not to be patient and get cheap scores on eBay or elsewhere.

That's the mechanical side of the question.  The bike specific painted parts are an individual choice.  The fenders are solid colors and easily matched.  Side covers, tank and fairing less so.  They'd also be frighteningly expensive to get painted so (even though you could) if I found cheap scores I would.  The rest of the mechanical stuff (suspension, drive, etc) was used on so many bikes for so many years it doesn't worry me.

Rimjam

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 09:58:38 PM »

Is there any way to identify an engine harness once its out of the box? Part number on a tag perhaps?  How about engine sensors?  I have a parts manual & can equip myself w/ part numbers when I go to the next indie shop or swap meet.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 10:44:17 PM »

Is there any way to identify an engine harness once its out of the box? Part number on a tag perhaps?  How about engine sensors?  I have a parts manual & can equip myself w/ part numbers when I go to the next indie shop or swap meet.

There is a part number ID tag that holds up pretty well on the old harnesses.  Subtle year to year changes can be nearly impossible to catch but broader interchange is easier by big things whether it's a Marelli versus Delphi ECM plug, which style injector connectors are on the harness or whether or not a harness has fitment for a cam position sensor.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 11:57:47 PM »

Have duplicates of painted parts for the SEEG and my back-ups have already paid off more than once (you use up those parts quickly when you T-bone a car  :nervous:)  Still collecting 'em tho as I've got another 'lower' in the mail as we speak.  Har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.