Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sorry if this is redundant.... Waterproof??????'s  (Read 3283 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Sorry if this is redundant.... Waterproof??????'s
« on: December 17, 2007, 08:42:51 PM »

I've read the 10 page thread on the 550 and several of the others, even did the search.... BUT?????

Is there a list of popular GPS models, read different brands and models, that are waterproof?  And what does waterproof mean to most manufacturers?

I'm researching one for my new SERK and would also like to use it in my vehicle when traveling for work.  Also neat to take when flying out to customer's facilities.

So without getting way deep in tech stuff, which are and aren't waterproof?

Also I see most of the GPS units are touch screen and very few have side buttons.  Do you guys find while on the bike that the touch screens are tough to work?  I also see some of the 4.3" screens now and they have to be better in some regards for entering data points etc.

Again sorry for the beginner's questions.

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: Sorry if this is redundant.... Waterproof??????'s
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 09:43:13 PM »

I've read the 10 page thread on the 550 and several of the others, even did the search.... BUT?????

Is there a list of popular GPS models, read different brands and models, that are waterproof?  And what does waterproof mean to most manufacturers?

I'm researching one for my new SERK and would also like to use it in my vehicle when traveling for work.  Also neat to take when flying out to customer's facilities.

Also I see most of the GPS units are touch screen and very few have side buttons.  Do you guys find while on the bike that the touch screens are tough to work?  I also see some of the 4.3" screens now and they have to be better in some regards for entering data points etc.

Thanks.

Dan, check out www.garmin.com
Are you planning on using it while flying? If so, the 550 series may not work best for you.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 10:27:14 PM »

Look for a unit that says it's waterproof in it's spec sheet.  Industry standard is:  IPX7  Waterproof to a couple of feet submersed for 30 minutes or so.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 10:54:20 PM »

Dan, check out www.garmin.com
Are you planning on using it while flying? If so, the 550 series may not work best for you.

What I meant was that when I have to take a commercial airline to another location I would take it with me to use in the rental car.

I'll do some research over the holidays, there may be some good deals.

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 10:57:15 PM »

Thanks.
I have no problem working the touch screen on my Zumo while bike is moving (disclaimer: Not recommended) and with gloves on.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 11:01:10 PM »

I use the Lawrance IFINDER on my boat and bike. It is waterproof and has a optional bike mount. It comes with a US map but is programable with software for custom maps as well for more detailed info on hunting and fishing areas. Offshore and lake information  is also included with the software. Other features like MP3 are nice since my older bike uses tapes and it plugs into the stock radio. Hope this helps.  Doc

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 08:50:54 AM »

What I meant was that when I have to take a commercial airline to another location I would take it with me to use in the rental car.

Thanks.

Dan,

I would checkout http://www.gpsinformation.net/ I've never found a better site discussing so many different units from so many different manufacturers. They're real good at answering emails too.

Good luck.

:indian_chief:

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 10:12:33 AM »

...great site, thanks for the info.  Doc

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 10:37:06 AM »

Thanks.

The link Chief provided is one I found very helpful in making a decision on my GPS.

There are several models out there - for me it boiled down to 2 brands - Tomtom ((MPN: 1K00080) & Garmin (Zumo 550 or 450).  These are all waterproof.  Never tried the Tomtom out of a store setting so cannot give any real info on it.  Saw the Zumo in operation & ended up buying the 550.  Touch screen works ok with gloves as do the side buttons.  Not recommended to use while moving (by manufacturerer) but hey I live in the real world & it works ok for me.  Have been using it in the car & plan to do the same as you - fly & use in rental cars.  After a few trips, its not that difficult to make it do what I want it to do. Still learning.

Good luck on your decision.  Worst question is one that should have been answered that was never asked.  GPS is a mess of confusion when one considers the myriad of varieties out there for purchase.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 06:04:14 PM »

I have the Garmin Zumo 550 and use it on my bike and in my truck when I go out of town on vacations or wherever I might want to use a GPS. It comes with Mapsource software that is great for trip planning or route planning for mapping my way on roads that I am not familiar with. It comes with the mounting hardware for both bike and vehicle. Found it at pcnation.com for a really good price and have seen it at a few other sites for less than $700 too.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 07:41:47 PM »

Thanks everyone for the great information.

After Christmas I plan to buy something, not sure yet what though.

I'll do the research on the website listed in the above post.

Thanks again.

Happy Holidays...  I think that's politically correct. ;D ;D ;D
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 06:08:32 AM »

Thanks.

I've flown several times with my Garmin 2730......and she has the 2720 (I wanted the XM on mine).  Not sure if it's "waterproof" but I've had it in some hellish storms and never had any problems with it.  They do have the remote control, but I prefer the touch screen on the bike and in the truck or car.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.