Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Garage Door Receiver Problem  (Read 13654 times)

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
Re: Garage Door Receiver Problem
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 10:56:54 PM »

At this time it is wired to the wall switch and I still can't get the darn thing to work. 

I think this is your problem, the reciever has to be wired directly to the opener, not the wall switch. (doesn't it?)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 11:07:45 PM by Bungy »
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 12:41:32 AM »

I think this is your problem, the reciever has to be wired directly to the opener, not the wall switch. (doesn't it?)

Direct to the button on the wall.  Easiest thing I think I ever did involving a Harley.  Also, one of the only things I ever got right the first time around.  At some point, you've got to wonder whether that receiver might be bad.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 08:37:43 AM »

Direct to the button on the wall.  Easiest thing I think I ever did involving a Harley.  Also, one of the only things I ever got right the first time around.  At some point, you've got to wonder whether that receiver might be bad.
Yeah I have wondered about that but it will flash once and I hear a click on the receiver when I hit the hi/low switch. I am begining to wonder if it isn't in the H-D wire from the receiver to the garage door.  I also noticed that one to the prongs on the receiver it shorter than the other.
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 08:38:47 AM »

Distructions state to use either.  Thanks though

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 10:06:24 AM »

My opener stopped working. I had to replace the unit under the fairing.
Bill

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 07:37:13 PM »

I took my bike in to have the GPS module replaced and brought it home today.  Guess what.  Now my garage door opener doesn't work either.  I have to get someone here to hold the button on the receiver since mine is plugged in behind some shelves and too close to the garage door.  If I try to do it myself, I'll end up with the door coming down on me and the bike.  Now I hope I can get mine working again.  I don't understand why it stopped working this time.  They've replaced that GPS module enough other times already, and it never caused this before.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 08:19:51 PM »

I wonder if it had something to do with disconnecting the battery?  Either that or they bumped the wires inside.  I hope you get it to work out.

Topper

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 08:22:49 PM »

I've wondered about this but the receiver acknowledges the signal.

DUDE

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3 Annie # 1420
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 02:57:10 PM »

I've wondered about this but the receiver acknowledges the signal.
It appears that the problem is not with the sending unit on the bike or the receiving portion of the HD wall unit as you have stated that the LED on the receiver flashes and you hear a click.

I would have to agree that it is either the wire between the HD wall unit and the push button on the wall or the relay in the HD wall unit is not working even though you hear it click.

If you have an ohm meter (you can get a cheap one from Radio Shack for $10 on sale) you can figure it out pretty quick.  First disconnect the wires from the wall push button and the HD wall unit. Connect the ohm meter (using the lowest setting)to the terminals of the HD wall unit and flash your high beams. When you hear the unit click you should see the ohm meter needle jump or move toward  zero momentarily. That indicates the relay is closing and opening as if you had pushed and released a switch. If the needle doesn't move it's a good bet the relay is bad and you need to replace the HD wall unit.

Next, connect the HD wire to the HD wall unit and connect the ohm meter to the other end of the wire. Flash the high beams again. If the needle moved on the first test but does not move this time then the wire is bad.  If the needle does move, your problem may be how you connected the wires to the  push button on the wall.  They should be connected to the same terminals as the wire that goes to the opener. 

When I installed mine, I plugged the HD unit into the outlet in the ceiling that the opener is plugged into and ran the wire to the opener instead of the wall button. You might give this a try if the testing shows every thing is OK and it still doesn't work wired to the push button.

I hope this helps.

Stan

PS  You can jury rig a flashlight bulb and battery to use in place of a meter.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 05:23:07 PM »

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO REPLY AND HELP ME TROUBLE SHOOT THIS.

Topper

Stan I'll run to the "SHACK" this weekend and see if I can't get one of those meters.

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 06:59:28 PM »

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO REPLY AND HELP ME TROUBLE SHOOT THIS.

Topper

Stan I'll run to the "SHACK" this weekend and see if I can't get one of those meters.

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!

Are you absolutely positive that you are running + to + and - to - ?  It sounds like you are getting the response at the receiver and it's not transfering to the button properly.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 11:55:58 PM »

So I have to assume from that statement that there is a transmitter inside the fairing.  Is this unit something that may have been disconnected when the shop replaced my GPS module or is there something else that they could have done to cause it to stop working?  It worked to close my garage door when I took the bike to the shop and when I brought it home, it no longer worked.  I cannot get it to start working again.  I tried unplugging the wall unit and plugging it back in.  Since it worked perfectly everytime prior to this, I have to assume that it's not something that I did, and that the shop had to have done something to cause this.  Is it something that they would have unplugged and forgot to plug back in possibly?

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2009, 10:57:35 AM »

So I have to assume from that statement that there is a transmitter inside the fairing.  Is this unit something that may have been disconnected when the shop replaced my GPS module or is there something else that they could have done to cause it to stop working?  It worked to close my garage door when I took the bike to the shop and when I brought it home, it no longer worked.  I cannot get it to start working again.  I tried unplugging the wall unit and plugging it back in.  Since it worked perfectly everytime prior to this, I have to assume that it's not something that I did, and that the shop had to have done something to cause this.  Is it something that they would have unplugged and forgot to plug back in possibly?

That very well may be the problem. I had my fairing off last fall & somehow managed to unhook the transmitter when reinstalling it. I was forced to take it to the dealer & they charged me 80 bucks labour to plug it in. The tech told me that's what I got for doing my own work!
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2009, 10:39:25 PM »

Are you absolutely positive that you are running + to + and - to - ?  It sounds like you are getting the response at the receiver and it's not transfering to the button properly.

Yes but I am going to check this again.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2009, 10:44:34 PM »

Yes but I am going to check this again.

Just so you know, I am now officially blaming this thread for my garage door opener ceasing to function.  I really hope that they find that they just pulled a wire off accidentally inside the fairing.  I miss having that feature already.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.