Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: HID headlamp questions  (Read 5546 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
HID headlamp questions
« on: March 06, 2010, 12:58:08 PM »

I have seen a lot of posts on HID headlamps, but I'm not getting what seem to be the straightforward answers that I was hoping to find.  The issues seem to be who to buy what product from, will the lamps cause interference with other electronics on the bike and how can that be avoided, should both high and low come on together when on high beams and how do you make this happen, what brightness level should be purchased for the brightest white light, and what is the solution to get the passing lamps to closely match up in light color.  So the questions are:

1.  Where should I buy my HID headlamp from?
     2.  What exact part # should I purchase?
     3.  What brightness level should I buy to produce the brightest white light?
     4.  Does the HID lamp cause interference with other electronics such as the radio?
     5.  If yes to #4, how can the interference be avoided?
     6.  Should the high and low beams come on together when the high beams are activated?
     7.  If yes to #6, is there a special way to wire them?  Please explain.
     8.  What part(s) are needed to closely match the lighting color of the HID with the passing lamps?

I'm trying to find a solution that works so I don't have to go through the trial and error method that it appears many have gone through.  My time is very limited these days, and I'm not going to start this project until I'm confident that this is going to work correctly the first time.  I realize that without headlamps, I'm also without a bike, so I hope someone will share the information to a seamless installation.  Thanks!

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
Re: HID headlamp questions
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 01:26:48 PM »

Thank You 1abastarsmda,

I too have been watching and asking about the same issues for awhile now and I am stuck on what to do. I want the HID but the expence was keeping me from doing it as an experiment (Lack of info). Then I started to look into better bulbs and found that the Silver Stars are not working out and kinda expensive to keep blowing. Then I started to look into the PIAA's and wow they are not cheap. So I am at a stand still.

Do I do the HID's and figure out what #color I need and hope not to get any interference. Also hope that I like the HID's, cause remember that our light housings are not designed for the HID lighting and the way it cast the light is not as good as if it were designed for it.

Too bad that there is not a smaller ballast and bulb set up for the passing lamps. What I have been told is that some have bought the PIAA 880 and have been happy.

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 04:33:50 PM »

when i did mine i chose to upgrade to the dual halogen bucket (most of you guys already have this) first.

i used kits from http://www.xtralights.com they have upgraded their technology since i bought them. i think hd-dude is a dealer for these now

from their site re: "colors"

high and low should both be on when high is on, this should already happen no change in wiring is needed

you will have a hard time matching HID with non HID passing lamps
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 05:46:45 PM »

when i did mine i chose to upgrade to the dual halogen bucket (most of you guys already have this) first.

i used kits from http://www.xtralights.com they have upgraded their technology since i bought them. i think hd-dude is a dealer for these now

from their site re: "colors"

high and low should both be on when high is on, this should already happen no change in wiring is needed

you will have a hard time matching HID with non HID passing lamps

Any interference with the other electronics or radio?

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 05:49:44 PM »

i have no interference with my sony head unit. cant speak for the HD unit
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 09:16:35 PM »

Any interference with the other electronics or radio?

A few guys have reported electrical interference.  I haven't put in a ton of the HID kits but have done a half dozen.  Most of those I remember reporting interference had the module close to or on top of the radio.  Moving them further outboard seemed to solve it. 

One of the bikes I put HID lights had some interference.  He had a ton of stuff pre-existing in the fairing (even worse than my bike used to be).  Ended up having to rejig some of his other accessory mounts/installs to make room to hang the ballast out off the speaker support brackets.  Once that was done his interference went away also.

As to color temp; I've not yet seen any halogen bulb that ended up being a good color temp match to any HID.  If you find something be sure and share.  There'll be a run on bulbs somewhere when it happens.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 10:12:09 PM »

Got my xtralites from Jim (hd-dude) a couple years ago.  Very pleased with them and he told me where to position the ballasts (not on top of the radio - he can direct you to the proper support bracket to mount them to).  No interference with my stock HK radio, intercom, cb.  But like Don said, I have not found passing lamps that will match the hid  color.  But what the heck, I'm more concerned about seeing and being seen than looking 'perfect.'

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 10:22:36 PM »

And to circle the proverbial wagons on the spotlights here it should also be mentioned that trying HIDs in the spots has been done.  Using the SEEG/SEUC type spotlights the mounting brackets can have their hollow centers opened up a bit for the extra wiring.  It can be fed through and the connections repaired to tie it all together.  The bulbs will light up on a pre-final-assembly test after this is all done and the extra pair of ballasts are shoehorned inside the fairing.

All this will work; right up until it is discovered the damned HID bulbs are too long physically fit inside the lamp housing.  The only good thing to be said about this is that it wasn't discovered while working on my own bike :confused5: :oops: :huepfenlol2: .

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 10:25:54 PM »

And to circle the proverbial wagons on the spotlights here it should also be mentioned that trying HIDs in the spots has been done.  Using the SEEG/SEUC type spotlights the mounting brackets can have their hollow centers opened up a bit for the extra wiring.  It can be fed through and the connections repaired to tie it all together.  The bulbs will light up on a pre-final-assembly test after this is all done and the extra pair of ballasts are shoehorned inside the fairing.

All this will work; right up until it is discovered the damned HID bulbs are too long physically fit inside the lamp housing.  The only good thing to be said about this is that it wasn't discovered while working on my own bike :confused5: :oops: :huepfenlol2: .
I hate it when that happens.   :'(

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 10:29:39 PM »

I'm glad you brought that up, since you know the thought was lurking in the back of my head....along with several other thoughts that are probably illegal in most cultures.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 10:52:49 PM »

I'm glad you brought that up, since you know the thought was lurking in the back of my head....along with several other thoughts that are probably illegal in most cultures.

Jeff, if it wasn't you it would've been somebody else buddy.  We're sick bastards that way (not that this is a bad thing....).

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 11:21:44 PM »

Jeff, if it wasn't you it would've been somebody else buddy.  We're sick bastards that way (not that this is a bad thing....).

Yeah, but...2lane...this is Dave  :behead: :zwtf: :multi:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 11:27:49 PM »

Yeah, but...2lane...this is Dave  :behead: :zwtf: :multi:

Crap, I got my threads mixed up :huepfenlol2: :oops: !

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 07:28:53 AM »

oh.....oh......oh.....darn! Yeah I'd be happy it was not mine too after all that work... What about the PIAA'S 880's?
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 09:22:35 AM »

oh.....oh......oh.....darn! Yeah I'd be happy it was not mine too after all that work... What about the PIAA'S 880's?

Still not a visual match.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 22 queries.