Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HD CB issues and solutions from Clay's Radio  (Read 8034 times)

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
HD CB issues and solutions from Clay's Radio
« on: July 14, 2010, 10:16:51 AM »

A couple of months ago Texas 103 posted about a "black box" developed by Clay's Radio (http://www.claysradioshop.com/) that significantly increased the broadcast range of the '06 and newer CB module, so yesterday I had a long conversation with Clay about the product as well as HD CB performance generally.

First, the product will boost the broadcast range of the HD Harman Kardon head unit/CB set-up by at least double using a properly tuned external CB antenna.  The product will cost $199 and come with detailed instructions (incl. tools and materials required) as well as an installation video on Clay's website.  I don't understand "modulation" but the normal CB module modulates the signal 10-15%, and the black box boosts modulation to 70% which is how the broadcast range increase is achieved; the power output remains 4 watts so it's 100% legal for FCC purposes.  The product will also come with a left hand grip mounted gain control so you can modify modulation for specific conditions.  I didn't get all the installation details but the HK radio isn't opened; the modulator wire from the CB module is cut and the black box wired in series; and, there are a couple of other wire connections/splices.  Clay said the kit will be available within about 30 days for shipment.  You can, of course, take your bike to him and his shop will do the install.  Contact him for details and cost.

Second, Clay is doing installations of the box at his shop and has 13 units operating with at least double the broadcast range; often it's three times, but for marketing purposes he's guaranteeing at least double the range.  Along with the installation, his shop is tuning the CB antenna SWR because a poorly tuned antenna will limit broadcast range, and if it's too high it will lead to CB damage.  One disturbing aspect of Clay's experience with OEM HD CB antennas is that they are all showing excessive SWR; i.e. all over 3.0 which can, and typically does, lead to damaging the CB.  He said the Gold Wings are as bad or worse.

So, even if you aren't interested in his black box, it would be prudent to have the SWR checked on your CB antenna to avoid damage to the CB module.

Carl
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 11:15:24 AM by Harleypingman »

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
Re: HD CB issues and solutions from Clay's Radio
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 12:46:03 PM »

Don't know exactly what this black box is but what he is discribing sounds like an old power mic. Most truck drivers know what they are. It's just a microphone that has a battery inside it that boosts your voice, but it also increases the background noise level which makes it hard for anyone to understand what your saying. Thanks on the reminder about the SWR (standing wave ratio) forgot all about those and it does make a difference in your CB performance and will damage the radio if it's too high.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 12:51:23 PM »

I'd love to get extra range but I don't use my CB radio enough to justify $199. If it was $100 and the product had a few decent reviews I'd consider it. Also, Clay says the SWR reading on Harley CBs is quite often 3? My SWR readings on my '09 and '10 cvo ultra classics are right at about 1.3 from the factory with no tuning needed.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 09:50:15 AM »

I think this was the guy I talked to a few weeks ago. I thought he said this thing was going to be more like $300-ish, at which point I wondered if the stocker can go 1/4 mile, is another 1/4 mile really worth 3 bills?  I'm thinking no until I see some very glowing review from folks I know and trust.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 10:26:20 AM »

so yesterday I had a long conversation with Clay about the product as well as HD CB performance generally.

So you don't actually have any experience with the product but just repeating what the vendor said?

hogasm

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 12:47:20 PM »

It sounds like it is a linear. We used to use them on the boats to increase distance. They were 300-1000watt output but would only actually increase output by 100%.

The new chatterbox head sets will put out farther than HD's CB

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 02:25:33 PM »

It sounds like it is a linear. We used to use them on the boats to increase distance. They were 300-1000watt output but would only actually increase output by 100%.

Unlikely, he said power output remained the legal 4 watts.  I think more like the power mike others have spoken of.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 02:52:21 PM »

Try this link for another explanation of various methods, read all the way to the end where you will find "audio clipping" described.      http://www.cbcintl.com/docs/allabout.htm

Jerry

I don't have a CB radio, never have had one, and don't want one.  In this day and age, are these things really worth having?  I can see a very limited set of conditions where I might think it was useful, such as when trying to herd a large group of riders on a group ride, but for most other communications a hands free cell phone setup would seem superior. :nixweiss:  Enlighten me.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 04:08:16 PM »

Personally, communicating with other riders on a group ride is the single reason a CB is useful on a bike.  YMMV.

hogasm

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 06:02:29 PM »

In 2003 we were just outside Chicago headed to the 100th. There was a huge wreck on the Int and by talking to a few truckers we were able to go around Chicago by way of O"Hare...which I would never wish on anyone :huepfenlol2: but after sitting at a truck stop for 3 hours it was worth it.........damn that is the only time I can think it was worth it

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 12:01:30 AM »

I found the Ad:

Coming Soon   *   The Compressor
Harley Davidson & Honda Goldwing Owners Check This Out! 
The compressor is a truly remarkable device. The compressor will increase your factory Harley Davidson or Honda GL1800's CB radio's loudness on transmit by 200% - 300% guaranteed. Your transmitting distance will be increased by a whopping 200% minimum. There is nothing else on the market that will come close to achieving the performance characteristics of this device. The development of this device was achieved from many years of R&D by High Tech Mobile Communications Engineers and Technicians in a joint effort to gain as much clarity and distance as possible from a bikes factory communications system.

We have achieved our goal and will be offering the Compressor soon. Prepare to be amazed!   http://www.motorcycle-communications.com/testimonials-video.html

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 11:09:51 PM »

A couple of months ago Texas 103 posted about a "black box" developed by Clay's Radio (http://www.claysradioshop.com/) that significantly increased the broadcast range of the '06 and newer CB module, so yesterday I had a long conversation with Clay about the product as well as HD CB performance generally.

First, the product will boost the broadcast range of the HD Harman Kardon head unit/CB set-up by at least double using a properly tuned external CB antenna.  The product will cost $199 and come with detailed instructions (incl. tools and materials required) as well as an installation video on Clay's website.  I don't understand "modulation" but the normal CB module modulates the signal 10-15%, and the black box boosts modulation to 70% which is how the broadcast range increase is achieved; the power output remains 4 watts so it's 100% legal for FCC purposes.  The product will also come with a left hand grip mounted gain control so you can modify modulation for specific conditions.  I didn't get all the installation details but the HK radio isn't opened; the modulator wire from the CB module is cut and the black box wired in series; and, there are a couple of other wire connections/splices.  Clay said the kit will be available within about 30 days for shipment.  You can, of course, take your bike to him and his shop will do the install.  Contact him for details and cost.

Second, Clay is doing installations of the box at his shop and has 13 units operating with at least double the broadcast range; often it's three times, but for marketing purposes he's guaranteeing at least double the range.  Along with the installation, his shop is tuning the CB antenna SWR because a poorly tuned antenna will limit broadcast range, and if it's too high it will lead to CB damage.  One disturbing aspect of Clay's experience with OEM HD CB antennas is that they are all showing excessive SWR; i.e. all over 3.0 which can, and typically does, lead to damaging the CB.  He said the Gold Wings are as bad or worse.

So, even if you aren't interested in his black box, it would be prudent to have the SWR checked on your CB antenna to avoid damage to the CB module.

Carl

Yep..everything he said...It does talk. Damned happy with mine.Did mine right before the Run. I was able to hang out with Clay as he did mine, and got to pick his brain, I now understand why most of our radios won't talk across the street...
 I used an adapter from sierra electronics http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SIE-HARLEY-ADAPT This will let you run a real, tuneable  top loaded antenna. The antenna I run is
a Firestick  http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm FL 3 , This is a hollow light weight antenna that is just perfect for our applications. I chose the three footer . The tech at Firestick told me also to get rid of the other long antenna ( Radio) and go to a shorty on that side and it will talk better because it isn't "absorbing" any of the signal. The tech guys at Firestick ROCK....they know their chit and will put it terms that we can understand. Ask Clay about it... On the Run I had no trouble talking from the rear of the pack to the front and our footprint is over 5 miles long..SWR on mine with this set -up is very respectable flat  1.5 to 1. If you talk to Clay mention the Run For The Wall  Road Guard Bike he did.. Greg              
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 11:16:58 PM by Texas 103 »
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 10:35:36 AM »

I was thinking about swapping the antenna as a first step, and thanks for the recommendation on one. However, how do you tune the antenna on these things?  I know on my truck years back, my Cobra 29 LTD had a SWR meter, so you just adjusted the antenna up and down until you got closest to zero.  However, where do you get a auxillary SWR meter, and hook it up to a bike? Can you shed any light on this.  Lastly, on the FL series with the tunable tip, is there a cover or something that goes over this?  Thanks man.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »

You can get an SWR meter from radio crap (shack) and the proper ends from them as well.  Technically, you should mount the meter as close to the radio as possible, but I plugged mine inline at the tourpak junction.  Both ours were over 3 from the factory.  Got the 06 into the low 1's and the 07 to under 2.  Just shorten the antenna by about an 1/16"-1/8" each time and recheck the swr.  Slightly time consuming but you only have to do it once, unless you make major changes to the system.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.