Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: For some reason the J&Ms sound better  (Read 3268 times)

led tail lights

• Junior CVO Member
For some reason the J&Ms sound better
« on: September 24, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »

Im running the fosgate PBR300x4 amp speaker level off of HK deck. I have had the fosgate power 6.5s in the fairing and they didn't sound good. Bright and tinny. I put my j&m 7.25 speakers in and they sounded a lot better, but the J&Ms are 2ohm and the amp will go into protection every once in a while. Everyone likes the Focals that are expensive, witch is fine. But before I dropped $1200 on speakers I went to best buy and picked out there best sounding 6.5 witch was the Polk dx.  Well the Polks sound like crap just like the fosgate 6.5s.  I have double and triple checked polarity.  I think I'm just limited with the HK deck. What do you think?????

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
Re: For some reason the J&Ms sound better
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 10:03:34 PM »

Having tried just a few sets of speakers I have found it doesn't always take hi dollar speakers to get the sound you are after. It takes the majic combination of parts to achieve your goal. I liked my Hertz Titan's with their amp hooked to my Pioneer. The same amp and speakers hooked to my buds HK head unit does not sound as good as mine did.

2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

led tail lights

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 10:40:08 PM »

Haha thats what my garage looks like boxes of speakers, that I can't return! Thanks for the info maybe a new head unit is going to be in the future. I know for what the iPod interface costs I can do a new head unit.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 10:51:27 PM »

I haven't found the limit of the H/K yet for sound quality so I'm not sure I would spend the money for a new head unit (unless you want different functionality).

Are you looking for a set of component speakers or coax speakers?
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 10:52:28 PM »

i want to keep my stock head unit,,,  im looking to upgrade the amps and speakers.. I did talk to Sound Designs,,  his name is Pete..  he swears on the Focals,,Im thinking about those  with some kind oif amp... Maybe Arc audio,,    Then I spoke with Tif2 and he said that Biketronics were coming out with an upgrade for the saddlebag speakers too...  the i would need a 4 channel amp..   and that takes up more room thats probably not available in the faring,,not sure what im gonna do,,  Rich's bike is amazing.. :confused5:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 10:54:21 PM by cvostu »

led tail lights

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 11:29:14 PM »

I have been using coax.  I would much rather have components. But don't know what to do with the tweeter.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 12:13:25 AM »

I did the Focals with the Arc amp and it sounds amazing! Expensive for sure but all depends what you are looking for. Clear sound at 90mph was my goal and mission accomplished. What I didn't want to do was spend lots of money (even though it would have been much less then the Focals) and not have a major difference over stock especially since everyone told me that if I added the speakers in the lids, I would "outrun" them at speed so I went "all in" with the this setup and was thrilled with the results. I have a buddy that spent just as much as me (if not more) by doing the Hawg Wired in the fairing and lids and when we switch out bikes he will admit that the setup I did (thanks to Sea Biscuit on this forum who turned me on to it) is much better at speed though his is fuller at a stop or very low speeds.
 I hope this helps.
Alan

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 01:17:01 AM »

i want to keep my stock head unit,,,  im looking to upgrade the amps and speakers.. I did talk to Sound Designs,,  his name is Pete..  he swears on the Focals,,Im thinking about those  with some kind oif amp... Maybe Arc audio,,    Then I spoke with Tif2 and he said that Biketronics were coming out with an upgrade for the saddlebag speakers too...  the i would need a 4 channel amp..   and that takes up more room thats probably not available in the faring,,not sure what im gonna do,,  Rich's bike is amazing.. :confused5:
Check out this thread guys.
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=78072.msg1064439#msg1064439
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 05:32:55 AM »

Be careful when shopping for Focal speakers. The $1200 set you reference (KRX2 - $1199 retail) are both a component set and a 2-ohm speaker. Outside of "Utopia", their best speaker in a coax setup are the 165KRC ($679 retail). These are also the highest line of Focal (again, outside of Utopia)that are 4-ohm (needed for the PBR300/4 amp).

See if you can find a JL Audio dealer in your area and listen to a set of C5.
TIF2

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 09:22:26 AM »

Haven't tried them all, but my J&M's front and rear with a Hog Tunes tweeter bar sound great. Can't get better for cheap, IMO.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

led tail lights

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 06:38:02 PM »

Tif2 are you telling me the focal 165 KRC are worth it off the HK deck. It's not going to sound tinny. Or like a old boom box like my wife says?

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 06:56:12 PM »

Tif2 are you telling me the focal 165 KRC are worth it off the HK deck. It's not going to sound tinny. Or like a old boom box like my wife says?

I could never tell you that; that's something only your ears can decide.
I was just pointing out that if you want to keep your present amp, then you'll need a good quality 4-ohm speaker. If looking at Focal speakers, then the 165 KRC is the best they offer (again, excluding the "Utopia" line).

If you had a chance to hear my bike (and there were a lot of folks at Maggie Valley that did), I think you would agree that there is nothing wrong with the sound of the stock H/K head unit. Stu was at Maggie Valley - maybe he will chime in with his impressions on whether one needs to replace the stock H/K in order to achieve excellent (and amazing) SQ - even at very, VERY high volume.
TIF2

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 07:17:43 PM »

Rich,, I totally agree,, that when the proper speakers and amps are installed, the stock HK head unit is perfect,,  I'm looking at the 4 channel Arc Audio amp and  Focal component speakers in the fairing,   Coax in the lowers and in the bags.  I'm hoping I'll be good with that. Rich, you're system is insane,,, the best part other than the sound, is how no one would ever know that you ever even popped the fairing off.  You are the man!! :2vrolijk_21:

Jerry/MD

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 07:47:34 PM »

I've been happy with the J&M 7.25s too. They sound great. :2vrolijk_21:

Can't say the same for the Rokker 5.25s in my rear pods...damaged 2 pair. I suspect their advertised power rating is BS.  >:(

Jerry
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 07:50:28 PM by Jerry/MD »

led tail lights

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 08:36:04 PM »

I could never tell you that; that's something only your ears can decide.
I was just pointing out that if you want to keep your present amp, then you'll need a good quality 4-ohm speaker. If looking at Focal speakers, then the 165 KRC is the best they offer (again, excluding the "Utopia" line).

If you had a chance to hear my bike (and there were a lot of folks at Maggie Valley that did), I think you would agree that there is nothing wrong with the sound of the stock H/K head unit. Stu was at Maggie Valley - maybe he will chime in with his impressions on whether one needs to replace the stock H/K in order to achieve excellent (and amazing) SQ - even at very, VERY high volume.

So how do you get the tweeters to fit in the gauges?

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 05:06:46 AM »

Coax in the lowers and in the bags.

You may not remember us discussing this, but using a traditional coax type speaker in the bags will cause the bags to leak. You'll need a speaker that has the tweeter mounted on a bridge - the woofer needs to have a sealed dustcap. Coax in the lowers should be fine though. This is what I did with a set of JL Audio C5-570's - specifically so the bags wouldn't leak:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=69544.0

Focal makes great speakers (although I think you pay a premium for the name alone). Aesthectically, I don't like the yellow cones on the woofers :(
It would look kinda funky on my bike (conversely, it would look pretty cool on say, the yellow '12 Ultra). If the cones and tweeters were black, I'd probably try and fit a set of 165 KRXS in my rear pods  ;)
TIF2

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 05:15:50 AM »

So how do you get the tweeters to fit in the gauges?

What type of bike are you planning the install for?
TIF2

led tail lights

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 10:46:51 PM »

What type of bike are you planning the install for?
[/quote

I was talking about the batwing fairing if I went components. Anyway I did the math. About $400 for a new deck with the interface for handle bar controlls. Then $600 for the 165KRC. I'm going to go with the Focals with your recommendation. I would much rather keep the HK head unit.  Just curious what speakers do you have and how many?

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 05:13:51 AM »

I was talking about the batwing fairing if I went components. Anyway I did the math. About $400 for a new deck with the interface for handle bar controlls. Then $600 for the 165KRC. I'm going to go with the Focals with your recommendation. I would much rather keep the HK head unit.  Just curious what speakers do you have and how many?

4 sets of compenent speakers - fairing, lowers, lids, rear pods.
Here is my system and write-up of the install. First post has a listing of components.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=70520.0

An easy method to mount tweeters in the gauge openings is to get some filler "blanks" from H-D (P/N 75106-96A). Mount the tweeter to the blank, then pop the blank in the fairing. Because my tweeters were so large, I gutted 2 Air Temp gauges and mounted my tweeters in the gauge cups.
TIF2
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.