Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: satellite radio  (Read 2074 times)

sheef

satellite radio
« on: January 14, 2013, 12:03:17 PM »

Is satellite radio received through the GPS or through the onboard radio ? Also I'm currently a Sirius subscriber with my car and the bike comes with XM, so from what I understand although Sirius and XM are under the same ownership I would have to take out a new subscription for the XM on the bike. Can someone clear these up for me? Thanks.( 2013 cvo ultra on the way.)

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
Re: satellite radio
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 12:45:35 PM »

It's been several years since I attempted to do the same and they hadn't yet merged the billing systems (so no discount).  Your bike has a specific antenna number (in your owners manual) and the XM receiver is in the fairing.  Call Sirius and see if they can activate your XM# on the same account with a multivehicle discount.  I'd be curious to know what you come up with.  It's been over 4 years since the merge and I haven't bothered trying again.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 01:21:21 PM »

I've tried that around when I bought the bike and they said no.  Asked when and I just as well asked an alien from
the runaround for simply just a NO.  They would lose to much money if you think about it.  I guess its just like
everyone else all or nothing.........rotten sum *itches    >:(

Uncle Fester

• Hostage of the MoCo
  • Junior CVO Member
    • MD

• CVO1: '13 FLHRSE3 "Serafina"
    • CVO2: '11 FLTRUSE "Pazia"
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 01:25:44 PM »

It's part of the anti-trust terms that Sirius had to agree to when it bought XM.

How that helps their customers, I have no idea, but I guess it made sense to the US and Canadian governments.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »

Yep.  Haven't activated the XM on my '12 SEUC because of the same issue.  It would be nice to have, but not if I have to have a separate contract from the 2 cages.

sheef

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 04:37:04 PM »

Thanks everyone for your response . I now know what to expect but I'll give it a try anyway when I get my bike.It makes no sense at all to me. I guess it doesn't matter to them about losing the extra business . I also won't subscribe. There's no way i'll carry two subscriptions.

Uncle Fester

• Hostage of the MoCo
  • Junior CVO Member
    • MD

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 05:39:10 PM »

Thanks everyone for your response . I now know what to expect but I'll give it a try anyway when I get my bike.It makes no sense at all to me. I guess it doesn't matter to them about losing the extra business . I also won't subscribe. There's no way i'll carry two subscriptions.

Out of curiosity, how come? Only difference is having to maintain two account numbers. XM is awesome on the bike. Wish I had it on my RK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 06:08:55 PM »

I don't know about sheef, but for me, having another satellite radio provider to deal with would be like needing to have separate cable companies for every TV in the house.  The one I have to deal with is bad enough, but at least I know what to expect.  And I get a discount for multiple boxes/TVs.

Also, with the iPods the new bikes come with, it negates, at least for me, a large portion of the benefit I would get out of the satellite radio.  Near continuous tunes that I know, that never go out when you get 30 miles away from the FM tower and no commercials, either.

Uncle Fester

• Hostage of the MoCo
  • Junior CVO Member
    • MD

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 06:56:05 PM »

It's one company (SiriusXM). Since the takeover, you have to maintain different accounts for XM radios and Sirius radios. Other than having to have two logins on their website, it's transparent to the user.

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 09:38:09 PM »

I don't know about sheef, but for me, having another satellite radio provider to deal with would be like needing to have separate cable companies for every TV in the house.  The one I have to deal with is bad enough, but at least I know what to expect.  And I get a discount for multiple boxes/TVs.

Also, with the iPods the new bikes come with, it negates, at least for me, a large portion of the benefit I would get out of the satellite radio.  Near continuous tunes that I know, that never go out when you get 30 miles away from the FM tower and no commercials, either.

X2 Agree! Unless you move the XM puck out from under the fairing it is spotty reception especially in the mountains. I would just load the iPod that comes with the new bike and roll on down the rode. IMO ipod would be better.
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 09:44:06 PM »

It's been several years since I attempted to do the same and they hadn't yet merged the billing systems (so no discount).  Your bike has a specific antenna number (in your owners manual) and the XM receiver is in the fairing.  Call Sirius and see if they can activate your XM# on the same account with a multivehicle discount.  I'd be curious to know what you come up with.  It's been over 4 years since the merge and I haven't bothered trying again.
I tried about a year ago...wanted to activate the Jeep ...and get a 665 for Ruby ...they said two separate accounts and no discount. I bought a 660 instead...and they will never get me as a subscriber! The I-pods work great for the times with spotty reception.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 10:37:42 PM »

XM & Siruis are not permitted to have cross accounts as part of the deal with FCC when they merged, have to remain two seperate/but the same companies.
They will work with you after the free period though if you call them to renew. I do not remember what I paid last fall when I renewed the Denali after the trail period but by paying a year in advance it was very cheap, they agreed to this in order to keep me happy and not cancel the bike that was already on account with XM and the company car which is Sirius.
Either way it is worth it to me, the actual cost of a ipod and the songs is crazy and I prefer more variety than a ipod provides, plus I don't have (or want to waste) time to put songs on a recording device and no ipod will ever play the UK basketball game on saturday afternoon.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 06:25:24 AM »

For me it's about cost. I'm charged $53 every quarter on my charge card for XM on the bike for previously was sold as "commercial free" radio. $212 is a lot, but I can live with it. Adding 2 other vehicles with no discount puts it over $600. Maybe if I spent more time behind the wheel but that's some serious coin in my house.

Now an iPhone can stream pandora over the HD stereo. Satellite has competition.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 08:52:17 AM »

It's one company (SiriusXM). Since the takeover, you have to maintain different accounts for XM radios and Sirius radios. Other than having to have two logins on their website, it's transparent to the user.
What about the two bill you have to pay, that is not transparent.

Had XM on my truck and wife's car.  When I got my Range Rover it was Sirius.  They told me I could get multi radio discount but it would be two bill.

So, that cost them a customer, a long time on as I had XM since 04.  But when I could not get one bill, canceled all radios.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

jcd520

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 05:58:48 PM »

If you call them(and that will be an experience you won't forget) they will add the xm radio to your existing account and give you a two radio discount.  YOU HAVE TO ASK FOR IT THOUGH-------------THEY WON'T OFFER.   I have the same problem. Sirius in my ford truck, xm on my HD.

paprgod

• Ridin' Harleys for 33 of my 49 years.

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 - Black & Blacker
    • CVO2: 2009 FLHTCU
    • CVO3: 1977 XLCR
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 08:30:06 PM »

For whatever it's worth, if you really like XM (I do), you can pay the lifetime fee and be done with the quarterly charges forever.
2012 FLHXSE3

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 08:46:16 PM »

For whatever it's worth, if you really like XM (I do), you can pay the lifetime fee and be done with the quarterly charges forever.
They told me that had been disco'd....mighta considered if it had been available.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 09:08:39 PM »

If you call them(and that will be an experience you won't forget) they will add the xm radio to your existing account and give you a two radio discount.  YOU HAVE TO ASK FOR IT THOUGH-------------THEY WON'T OFFER.   I have the same problem. Sirius in my ford truck, xm on my HD.
you are exactly right. they make me mad everytime i call. most of the time it is someone in a land far far away. i really like the radio on the bike,so i hang up and keep calling til i get an american voice. they will offer deals from time to time you just have to keep checking. what a pain they are.

UAV Pilot

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 11:58:17 AM »

My experience with XM has always been less than pleasant. Billing / Customer Service is the worst I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.  With that said, I sill have XM on my CVO and my wifes car.  You can negotiate with them for a lower yearly rate if you get the right sales person.  You may have to hang up a few times to get someone who will work with you though.  Just check the internet for lowest cost XM and see what people are saying about the current pricing.  My biggest grip with XM is the "auto renewal" BS.  If you do negotiate a lower rate, it will auto renew next year at the then current retail rate which will be much much higher.  The only way around this is to have the invoice you and never never never give them your credit card number.  If you have an existing contract with them, tell them to cancel the subscription near the end of your contract and just wait a few weeks. You will start to get "we want you back" coupons for lowered pricing.  Just my 2c worth.
Better to Remain Silent and Thought a Fool, Than To Open One's Mouth and Remove All Doubt......Abraham Lincoln

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 03:36:11 PM »

Jacking around with those idiots every renewal period isn't worth whatever I could save.  They've got my cc for the cages, but I won't be activating the bike.

jsa1000

• CVO1: 2011 Ultra Classic CVO Black Ember & Rio Red. Fullsac X-Pipe, 2.0 Recore, TTS ECM dyno. All done professionally by Steve at Fullsac in Lake Havasu Arizona. Worth the trip!!
    • CVO2: 2002 Road King Classic Non CVO
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 10:56:35 PM »

I too share in the XM/Sirius problem.  I have a 2011 CVO Ultra that came with the XM interface in the Harmon Kardon.  I have been a subscriber with Sirius since day one of its inception and called to add the CVO to my plan, only to find out that even though they are the same company you have to start a new contract and account for XM.  So, I mounted the Sirius Starmate 5 that I normally use in my cage to the Garmin 660 weather cover and ran a wire from it to the AUX on the Harmon Kardon.  Works great!!!  Antenna and power is inside the fairing out of view.  Now I move my Starmate from the cage to the bike whenever I want for one price. 

On another note, I am getting frustrated with the workings of the Harmon Kardon and am considering a replacement radio with bluetooth tech.  I would love to ditch the cords.  Any suggestions would be appreciated keeping in mind that whatever I consider must work with the thumb/handlebar controls.  Thanks Much!! 
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 21 queries.