Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Security Light on Steady  (Read 2937 times)

pvanwagner

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2017 FLHXSE Starfire Black / Atomic Red
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE Candy Cobalt / Indigo Ink
Security Light on Steady
« on: October 22, 2017, 10:41:39 AM »

Bike:  2017 CVO Street Glide with 3000miles.  No changes to wiring or handlebars.  No changes to ECM by programmable tuner and no piggy-back tuner.  In other words - Completely Stock.

Background:  Wife's bike had the Security Light come on steady yesterday on the ride home and the lady riding behind her said she no no tail lights.  The bike was off so I turned it on and all the lights worked and the security light was out.

Today I checked the codes using Jerry's guide at https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=113185.msg1441059#msg1441059 and the historical codes was:

Code: B2168 "Running Lights Output Shorted High"

Question:  Anyone else have this problem and can it just be a computer glitch or do I need to start looking for pinched wires?
2017 CVO Street Glide FLHXSE Starfire Black / Atomic Red
2017 CVO Street Glide FLHXSE Candy Cobalt / Indigo Ink
2012 Softail Slim (Sold)
2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited Apple Green / Vivid Black (Sold)
2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited Psychedelic Purple / Vivid Black (Sold)
2005 Softail Deluxe (Sold)
2003 Softail Heritage (Sold)
2002 Sportster 1200 Custom (Sold)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Security Light on Steady
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 01:14:44 PM »

Still under warranty if a 17? Let them fix it, or at least take it on so it's on file as a intermittent problem.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 01:40:49 PM »

While it's always tempting to just blow off an intermittent code as a "computer glitch", in my experience it rarely is just a one time glitch unless the codes were set when tuning or doing diagnostic tests.

If you don't want to take it to the dealership under warranty, I can understand that.  Taking time to get the bike there and either waiting for them to get it in and work on it, or having to leave it, only to be told they couldn't duplicate the problem, does get frustrating.  I'd still suggest, as Don did, going through the ritual just to get it on record, but to each his own.

Since the lady behind your wife mentioned the tail lights going out, I think I'd start my search at the rear of the bike and work forward.  First look for obvious harness damage, not uncommon in the rear fender due to contact with the rear tire when the harness isn't secured properly.  That sort of thing should be obvious, and if you find such damage you could then take it in and show the dealership the problem, or fix it yourself if you're so inclined.  If there is no obvious damage, then the fun part begins.  With the lights on (switch on, engine off), have someone watch the rear lights while you start wiggling connections and the harness, starting at the rear lights and working forward.  If the lights flicker or go out, odds are you've found the problem.  Once again, either take it to the dealership and show them, or fix it yourself if you are comfortable doing wiring repairs.

Good luck.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 02:26:16 PM »

Had that problem on my Bird once...turned out to be a loose turn signal bulb, pushed it back in and security light went away.  I hope your problem is that simple, good luck.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 03:06:25 PM »

Had that problem on my Bird once...turned out to be a loose turn signal bulb, pushed it back in and security light went away.  I hope your problem is that simple, good luck.
Mine was a burned out (or bad) bulb
Alan

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHCS 114
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE Traded
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 05:55:44 AM »

Same issue on my 16.  Out of nowhere the security system would not allow me to start bike and was hard to get it to take the code.  Finally got it started but was not until we met up with the rest of the group I was told I had no lights to rear.  When we stopped I removed the seat and moved wires around and check connections and lights came on again and bike started.  However,  I have had ongoing issues with the security system allowing me to start the bike even though I now have taillights and it seems to have a mind of its own.  Booking into stealership to have it looked at as I am tired of drawing attention every time I have to start the bike.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 06:06:22 AM by fred786 »

pvanwagner

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2017 FLHXSE Starfire Black / Atomic Red
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE Candy Cobalt / Indigo Ink
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 11:52:42 AM »

Thanks guys.  Not going to be able to get it on record since I cleared the codes, but we'll watch it.  I'll put it up on the lift and check it thoroughly following you'all's advice.  If I can locate a loose connection or get it to throw the code again we'll take it in on warranty. 
2017 CVO Street Glide FLHXSE Starfire Black / Atomic Red
2017 CVO Street Glide FLHXSE Candy Cobalt / Indigo Ink
2012 Softail Slim (Sold)
2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited Apple Green / Vivid Black (Sold)
2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited Psychedelic Purple / Vivid Black (Sold)
2005 Softail Deluxe (Sold)
2003 Softail Heritage (Sold)
2002 Sportster 1200 Custom (Sold)

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.