Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stealth Luggage Rack--Having Trouble  (Read 5786 times)

daleleo

Stealth Luggage Rack--Having Trouble
« on: December 29, 2009, 12:56:35 PM »

Ok, I hope this isn’t a stupid question. 

I know some have used the stealth rack with the four point docking hardware.  Id like to do the same but I am having trouble making it fit.

It appears that the mount is too wide to accommodate the rack.  Is there some modification necessary to the docking hardware or the rack necessary to make this fit or am I not doing something correctly?  The docking hardware was installed at the dealer so Im assuming that was done correctly but perhaps they missed something...

Thanks

Dale

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
Re: Stealth Luggage Rack--Having Trouble
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 12:59:43 PM »

Can you show a picture of the problem?
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 02:43:35 PM »

By chance, are you trying to use an older rack on the new mount? I found that all my older detachables no longer fit my '10 SESG.

daleleo

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 05:02:35 PM »

Looks like it was a faulty rack (not obvious--bent just enough to say "hey that's bent" only if it didn't fit and after having a few people at the dealer try to make it work).

No new rack in stock.  Off to a new dealer tomorrow to make sure (rain now in SF)

Sun Devil

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Rum
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 05:16:47 PM »

Now I'm not sure what docking kit is required for the Stealth Detachable Rack # 53472-09. I have a 2010 SESG that came with a 2-point docking kit 54030-09 and passenger back rest.  The description of the two point says: a simple choice if all you need is a passenger backrest OR a solo rack. Now after reading description for Stealth Detachable Rack # 53472-09, requires 4-point kit. So help if you know for sure, can I just switch back and forth between the the passenger backrest and the stealth using the 2-point (54030-09) or must I purchase a 4-point (54205-09)?
“They don’t know that we know they know we know.”

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 06:47:28 PM »

The solo luggage rack sits right behind the rider (just like the solo tour pack) and both will work with two point docking hardware. 

However, if you're wanting to add a luggage rack behind the passenger seat, then you'll need the four point docking hardware.  If you want to go all the way through my thread (it'll put you to sleep) you can see pictures of each option installed.....  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=40248.0

**Warning** That thread will also cause you to spend more money than you thought you ever had. :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Sun Devil

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 07:19:39 PM »

So, with the stock seat, I can't just take off the detachable passenger back rest (2-point) and replace it with the stealth rack, using the same 2-point.

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 01:04:51 AM »

To use ANY rack with the stock (or any seat with a passenger section) you need the 4 point docking kit.

bobroadglide

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 Silver SERG
    • CVO2: 05 Cherry SEEG
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 10:44:14 AM »

To Daleleo:  I had the same problem and more.  Both the Stealth Rack and the Tour Pack Rack were too wide.  I was able to bend them slightly (use a Vise, carefully) to make the docking points slightly narrower.  The real problem was the length.  After finding that I had to remove the rubber cushions from the forward docking points to get the locks to engage, I went to the dealer.  Removing the cushions allows the rack to vibrate just enough to be audible.  The dealer was able to get the locks to engage with the cushions in place, but this caused the black plastic pieces on the docking points to break.  He replaced them and said he would continue to replace them if they kept on breaking.  Seems the HD Engineers got the dimensions slightly wrong on the length.  I have a feeling the dimensions used for manufacture were before plating, I have made this mistake when I worked Design/Manufacturing Engineering.  There is no fix for this unless you want to grind the slots on the rack(s) which will break the palting and will eventually rust. 
To Sun Devil:  you can install the Stealth Rack and the Passenger Back rest at the same time with the four point docking system.  I did not have any problems with the Passenger back rest but did have issues with the Stealth Rack, see above.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 11:16:11 AM »

Ok, I hope this isn’t a stupid question. 

I know some have used the stealth rack with the four point docking hardware.  Id like to do the same but I am having trouble making it fit.

It appears that the mount is too wide to accommodate the rack.  Is there some modification necessary to the docking hardware or the rack necessary to make this fit or am I not doing something correctly?  The docking hardware was installed at the dealer so Im assuming that was done correctly but perhaps they missed something...

Thanks

Dale

I had the same problem with my buddy's 2009 FLHX, the rack needed to be bent a little at the mounting points so it installed and locked properly.  Easy to do with a rubber mallet and block of wood, unfortunately not everything you buy from the Moco fits as advertised out of the box.

Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Sun Devil

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 11:36:50 AM »

Thanks guys, I just cancelled my order for the stealth rack. I don't want to deal with having to use a rubber mallet and board or bend it in a vise to make it fit. I'll look for an alternative solution.

daleleo

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 07:41:47 PM »

Ok, it was the rack.  I got a new one and it went in smooth as silk. The rubber mounts on the docking hardware were damaged in this effort and the dealer was at first hesitant to replace those but eventually did.

Im surprised that the orginal rack was so out of spec (or if it wasnt out of spec that the specs are so loose) but all's well that ends well.

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.