Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wind buffeting  (Read 4657 times)

Klonko

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise (April)
Wind buffeting
« on: February 16, 2010, 11:24:36 AM »

I am 6' 2” (32” inseam). I test rode regular 2009 SG and Ultra with an Arai SZ/Ram III (jet helmet with shield). Buffeting was acceptable with the Ultra and unacceptable for my head with the SG. Changing seat position on the SG did not help, so I assume I will face the same issue on the SESG.

Coming from a FXDXI, I would prefer a low shield and the wind blowing into my face and chest, but buffeting is a no go. Do you have any experiences with following alternatives:

(1) cut down the regular shield close to 0”. Idea is that the steeper angle of the shield vs fairing increases turbulence and cutting down shield height would decrease buffeting.
(2) cut slits into the regular shield. Idea is that the air flow is more dispersed.
(3) use a short recurve shield like Klock Works Flare 3”. Idea is that the recurve shape reduces buffeting
(4) add the not so beautiful adjustable air deflectors.

If these solutions or other suggestions do not work from your experience, I would go for a taller shield. Which (low as possible) height of HD or recurve (e.g. Klock Works Flare) shield would prevent bugs from hitting my eyes.

Many thanks for your help.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Wind buffeting
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 11:38:53 AM »

Wind blowing in your face and chest without buffeting on a bagger is an oxy moron. :huepfenlol2:

But just out of curiousity......let us know what you end up trying and how it works for you. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 11:43:30 AM »

I'm not sure if the SESG comes with Front Fork Air Baffle but this may be something you want to look at...

Chrome Front Fork Air Baffle

Deflect the cold night wind rushing between the fork tubes of your Touring model. This stylish chrome air baffle replaces the Original Equipment black baffle on '00-earlier models. Includes chrome mounting hardware.

58520-79TC

Fits '80-later FLT, FLHT, FLHX and FLHR models (except Trike).

MSRP US $24.95

What you are experiencing might be coming from under the fairing between the forks and causing some/all of your problem. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 11:44:31 AM »

Although I am shorter than you I didn't like the wind buffeting either.

I called Matt to get a     Long Rides Shield

He has a recurve shield that works great and the pricing is very reasonable. Different heights are available as well as transparencies.

I have the 9" Dark Smoke on my SESG and a 10" on my Ultra Trike. I've tried different brands and just wasn't satisfied.

Several of the guys here use this shield with positive results.

Let's us know which one you get.

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 12:25:22 PM »

Consider changing your helmet. The new Arai RXQ should work MUCH better for you. The helmet you're using is way too open at the bottom to be of much help in controlling buffeting. It's designed for a different environment than you propose.

Many here have good luck with Clearview wind shields. They do offer vented versions, but a short shield with a tall guy isn't a combination that will likely lead to less buffeting regardless of the helmet you wear.

dave29

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 09:59:40 AM »

Ultra has wind deflectors on either side of the fairing, SESG does not. Makes a huge difference. Wind swirls from the side and bottom of the bike. Deflectors will run you from $30 to $109 for the adjustable ones. Try them and feel the difference.
dave29

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 01:24:08 PM »

[ Buffeting was acceptable with the Ultra and unacceptable for my head with the SG.

I re-read your post and am convinced it's all about the windshield. Ultra's have a lot taller shield than SGs...Instead of cutting down the SG shield go taller. If you want, Clearview and other recurve shields will let you go about 2" shorter than a non-recurve and get equivalent wind protection. I'm only 5'9" and the stock shield was awful, a 4" Clearview recurve better, and I ordered 6.5" recurve just before the snow arrived (and stayed), so I can't give you a ride report yet.

At 6'2", I'm betting you would be happiest with the tallest recurve you could see over. And, as long as you leave the protective film on it, Clearview will let you return/exchange if you're not happy.

I do use the front fork baffle and adjustable fairing wind deflectors others have mentioned and recommend them.

I do still think the new RXQ from Arai would help out too...

CVOTequila

• Squee's Revenge
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 02:47:42 PM »

Although I am shorter than you I didn't like the wind buffeting either.

I called Matt to get a     Long Rides Shield

He has a recurve shield that works great and the pricing is very reasonable. Different heights are available as well as transparencies.

I have the 9" Dark Smoke on my SESG and a 10" on my Ultra Trike. I've tried different brands and just wasn't satisfied.

Several of the guys here use this shield with positive results.

Let's us know which one you get.

Just got my new XStream from LRS, and it is awesome, I have noticed a big difference in wind noise....it makes my radio sound much louder!!

Mods:
Mirror Chrome Agitator Wheels
Freedom Racing Duals
C&C Seat (Squeeter's Revenge)
Hawg Wired "Double Shots"
Hawg Wired Tweeters
Boogey Lights Fireworks
Kury License Plate
HD Chrome Accents on gauges/radio
Tune Trapper Antenna (hidden)
Riders Claw
Footboard/Passenger Extensions
SE Shift Linkage
Joker Machine Saddlebag Latches
Ness Flame Grips (billet)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 03:23:01 PM »

I'm 6'4" and I wear a Nolan N-103 modular helmet and I ride with a Windvest 8" smoke  #61-8010.   http://www.windvest.com/gallery/gallery.html
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 10:52:10 PM »

I just installed the HD version of the Klockwerks 7" smoked wind screen.  Will take the bike out tomorrow for the first time with the new wind screen as I go to pick up my fix for the seat gap issue.  I'm holding out hope that all the stars will align  :)
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 11:03:46 PM »

I just installed the HD version of the Klockwerks 7" smoked wind screen.  Will take the bike out tomorrow for the first time with the new wind screen as I go to pick up my fix for the seat gap issue.  I'm holding out hope that all the stars will align  :)

I installed one earlier this week after posting its availablilty here. I like it. The styling of the upper portion is curved and does deflect the wind in my experience.

I was planning to do a 200 mile trip over the weekend to Daytona and if I do it will more than likely be Sunday. I'll post my experience when I get back.

I like the styling. It compliments the fairing curves.

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.