Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Oil and capacity question...  (Read 4827 times)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: Oil and capacity question...
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 04:39:45 PM »

In case you've never seen this data, I'll repost it for your consideration.

Jerry

Interesting that Redline is not in that list--but I don't want to start that debate again....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 04:55:33 PM »

Interesting that Redline is not in that list--but I don't want to start that debate again....

The Lucas Synthetic isn't there either.  But undoubtedly so are quite a few others if one took the time to compile a thorough list.    Would never be all-inclusive.  Too many options.  Of course no one will fuel a new oil/conspiracy thread by suggesting that those not tested were omitted because Amsoil (who sponsored the testing) didn't want to compete against them ??? .

I don't really believe that.  Just stirring chit.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 08:40:14 PM »

The Lucas Synthetic isn't there either.  But undoubtedly so are quite a few others if one took the time to compile a thorough list.    Would never be all-inclusive.  Too many options.  Of course no one will fuel a new oil/conspiracy thread by suggesting that those not tested were omitted because Amsoil (who sponsored the testing) didn't want to compete against them ??? .

I don't really believe that.  Just stirring chit.

Actually Don the Lucas High Performance Motorcycle Oil is synthetic, and it's the same one I highlighted with red arrows in that chart.  Considering the fact that even the old dino Harley 360 ranked higher, I don't think I will see Lucas in my garage anytime soon.

As for Redline, we've covered that subject a few times before, but I'll recap for those who missed it the first few times.  When Amsoil chose the other oils to be tested, they selected the products that represented the major players in the market at the time.  Redline didn't make a blip on the sales charts back when the other products were chosen.  Since that time, Redline has made some negative comments about the comparison test but they have never offered any test results of their own, nor have they published a similar comparison that included their product.  Why does anyone suppose that is, if in fact their product tests better?  I know if I had a product that tested better and I thought I was losing sales to one of those brands included in the  test, I'd put out some information showing how my product stacked up, and possibly even do my own comparison and publish the results just like Amsoil did.  Funny how none of the other folks, on that chart or not, have done so. :nixweiss:

Anyhow, now that I'm becoming more "green" (and cheap) in my old age I've decided to just collect all that oil the old school Harley guys are draining at 2000 or 3000 miles and using that, since it still has plenty of useful life left.   

Jerry ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 08:43:24 PM »

Actually Don the Lucas High Performance Motorcycle Oil is synthetic,

Actually I was being a smart ass with the whole post.  There's even an itty bitty tiny text remark (that only Dood would find) to confirm this.  However....

I really did think there were two flavors of the Lucas oil.  Both a synthetic and a nonsynthetic.  Thanks for the heads-up there as I was mistaken about the product.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 03:18:24 AM »

Actually Don the Lucas High Performance Motorcycle Oil is synthetic,

Was in a local Autozone this evening and saw the Lucas products on the shelf.  Did see two distinct 20-50 motorcycle oil products.  The first link (from Amazon) is their "High Performance Motorcycle Oil" seen here:

http://www.amazon.com/MOTORCYCLE-OIL----20W50-QUART/dp/B001DKV2S0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1319785675&sr=8-4

This second link is to the Lucas "High Peformance Synthetic Motorcycle Oil."

http://www.amazon.com/Lucas-10702-PK6-Performance-Synthetic-Motorcycle/dp/B001OZL9XC/ref=pd_sbs_auto_2

So there are two distinct products.  The product without "synthetic" in the name is their dino or blend product.  Knew I remembered previously seeing two distinct Lucas products though.

The chart specifies only "Lucas High Performance."  That's not Lucas's trade name for their synthetic product.  Since the oil rates below the HD dino oil I'd still guess it's not the Lucas synthetic.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 08:30:33 AM »

Not to beat a dead horse, but the full report specifically states that the 50 weight Lucas (20w50) oil in the test was synthetic.  The 40 weight (10w40) was a synthetic/dino blend.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 09:49:20 AM »

Second graph makes all the difference.  Didn't have that data in the first graph you'd posted.  Only a description that matched the company's own description of their non-synthetic product.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 25 queries.