Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Author Topic: It's all about Doc's Performance Tuning  (Read 41241 times)

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: It's all about Doc's Performance Tuning
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 10:04:19 PM »

I pondered that for about 5 minutes before I posted that.

I'm one of those guys who always feels sorry for the poor schmuck in last place. Some people live under a rock. I being one of them I thought he might be too. I didn't know who you were until just a few days ago.

I need to get out of the house more often. :D

Yes I guess you do...lol....that masked man, Steve Cole, is the developer and CEO of TTS Powersports that makes the TTS MasterTune..... : :oops:
Now thats funny.....
Doc's Performance Tuning

www.docsperformancetuning.com

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 12:28:03 PM »

Yes I guess you do...lol....that masked man, Steve Cole, is the developer and CEO of TTS Powersports that makes the TTS MasterTune..... : :oops:
Now thats funny.....

And Doc is quality control, keeps Steve on his toes.
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

jesse111

• Full CVO Member
    • Jesse Phoenix
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 06:39:52 PM »

I've received some pm's about my choice of the Andrews 54.

As we all know, there are differing opinions on which gear performs best with which gear. I'm trying to read between the lines on all the information out there. Everyone has different opinions about the same gear. Opinions are relative.

From all the information I've been able to gather, this is my view point at this time.

I've noticed that I have more than enough power in low rpm ranges such as 2-3k which is no doubt due in part from the 255 stock cams. However, I find that when I'm passing a long vehicle like an 18 wheel rig or perhaps two or three cars, I seem to run out of steam at the top end just a bit. I want serious HP in the 4-6k rpm range so I can get the job done.

The Andrews 54 may offer more HP in that range. Even with the possible loss of a few foot pounds of torque in the low range, I am willing to make that trade. Doc has mentioned that the 54 offers a cooler temp operation over the 255. Cooler temps are high on my list of priorities.

I will be going forward with the Andrews 54. I don't know what my bike dyno's at right now but lets assume it's close to any other standard 2010 cvo 110 dyno. I'll try and find a stock dyno and post it along with the 54 dyno from Docs. Additionally, when I leave Doc's place, I'll be riding about a 750 miles home. I should certainly be able to offer a seat of the pants power opinion review by then.

Stay "tuned".
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 06:44:11 PM by jesse111 »

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 09:20:33 PM »

I've noticed that I have more than enough power in low rpm ranges such as 2-3k which is no doubt due in part from the 255 stock cams. However, I find that when I'm passing a long vehicle like an 18 wheel rig or perhaps two or three cars, I seem to run out of steam at the top end just a bit. I want serious HP in the 4-6k rpm range so I can get the job done.

The Andrews 54 may offer more HP in that range. Even with the possible loss of a few foot pounds of torque in the low range, I am willing to make that trade. Doc has mentioned that the 54 offers a cooler temp operation over the 255. Cooler temps are high on my list of priorities.

The reasons you mentioned above are exactly why I went with the SE259G (same grind as the SE251) and it filled the bill perfectly.  My bike runs WAY cooler, pulls very hard all the way to 6k and I can't tell that I lost much if any low end.  It starts making noticably more power at about 2500 and doesn't stop through the power band.  I find I'm riding a little harder because it is running so much better. Mine came in at 102hp and 101tq with intake, exhaust and cam change.  I did not do anything with compression.  I am very pleased and I think you will be to.
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

jesse111

• Full CVO Member
    • Jesse Phoenix
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 01:17:18 PM »

The reasons you mentioned above are exactly why I went with the SE259G (same grind as the SE251) and it filled the bill perfectly.  My bike runs WAY cooler, pulls very hard all the way to 6k and I can't tell that I lost much if any low end.  It starts making noticably more power at about 2500 and doesn't stop through the power band.  I find I'm riding a little harder because it is running so much better. Mine came in at 102hp and 101tq with intake, exhaust and cam change.  I did not do anything with compression.  I am very pleased and I think you will be to.

This is a good post. I will compare my results of the dyno as well as my riding experience with yours. Both cams seem to be close in performance.

jesse111

• Full CVO Member
    • Jesse Phoenix
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 09:22:47 AM »

Here's a preliminary update on the Andrews 54.

Some very good news is that the decel pop at 1800 is practically gone. Most times it doesn't pop at all. Other times I can detect a slight muffled rumble that seems to be a pitiful attempt at a pop but never really happens. I have no doubt that Doc will easily eliminate an residual issue of that troubled spot.

Another noticeable benefit was the "passing lane power". I was on a country road and had 3 cars and an 18 wheel rig all in front of me and all driving like hourly employees. Passing zones were few and far between. My chance finally came and off I went. The power ceiling has definitely risen. The 110 kept delivering as the engine wound tighter and tighter. I felt more confidence as I blew away the traffic in front of me. In fact, by the time I got along side the big rig, I had to throttle back just a bit. Speeds were just rising to fast. I didn't have to wait on the bike to catch up with me if you know what I mean.

The torque on the lowest end however has seemed to have suffered. However, I am willing to admit that there could be some mind conditioning at play here. I was informed that some loss may result on the lowest end so I was expecting it. I feel some go juice kicking in around the 3k mark and from there it seems rather endless as compared to the 255. Whether or not I can truly feel a low end loss, I am not sure of quite yet. Most of my trip was rained out so I had limited opportunity repeated the testing.

As regards my "perceived" torque loss, my dealer who installed the cams told me it felt better to him than the 255's in every way. He also noted his opinion of the difference between the 54 and the HD251. He said the power surge at 3k in the 251 is significant. He felt it in the 54 but not as much as the 251. However, he also said that it is possible that the 54 offers similar power but at a better curve thus a smoother delivery across the whole rpm range. That is the way I felt about it. It seems like there is plenty of power but there isn't any defining point that over emphasizes where the power comes on like flipping on a light switch.

If my and my dealer's observation is true, this would fit my riding style as a tourer for good clean wide band power for long haul highway use.

The power curve itself seems smooth throughout but something tells me the engine could run a bit smoother. I also suspect that the temps have indeed lowered. I experienced less heat on my right leg but more miles are in order for further testing on that point.

If Doc can tune in a touch of low torque, add a touch of smoothness and completely eliminate the miniscule trace of that decel pop, this will be one very nice running 110.

As a side note, I've purchased the quiet baffles for the Jack Pot mufflers. This may offer a difference in performance (i.e.) a touch more low end torque.

I'll see you next week Doc.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 09:45:07 AM by jesse111 »

FUNGOUL

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2010, 09:44:24 PM »

Thanks Doc for the new prescription for my SESG it's just what the Doc ordered!!!!!

jesse111

• Full CVO Member
    • Jesse Phoenix
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 09:48:59 PM »

That is one cool photo. I'll be taking the same shot next week.

So give it up Fungoul, tell us about your tune. What differences have you noticed so far?

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2010, 09:29:10 AM »

Thanks Doc for the new prescription for my SESG it's just what the Doc ordered!!!!!

Can you post the dyno from the tune together with a list of the engine upgrades?

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 03:47:22 PM »

If I recall the out come was 98/118. This is a CVO with the 255 cam.
Doc
Doc's Performance Tuning

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 05:08:47 PM »

Doc

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

That's pretty consistent on what we see around here on a stock CVO. Last one I saw was 98/113!!
Depends on weather conditions and a couple other variables, but, pretty close I think!

Good job!
HOGMIKE

jesse111

• Full CVO Member
    • Jesse Phoenix
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2010, 05:16:16 PM »

Doc

Good solid numbers Doc. Fungoul PM'd me and is very happy with his tune and experience with you. Any chance of posting a pic of the dyno sheet on here? I'd like to see the curves and then of course we can make some comparisons to the 54 next week.

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 07:43:36 PM »

The graphs will have to come from Fungoul.....I won't over step my boundaries......ie... :P...thats Dr./ Patient privileges...... :D ;D :P
Doc's Performance Tuning

jesse111

• Full CVO Member
    • Jesse Phoenix
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2010, 07:48:07 PM »

Fire up that scanner Fungoul. Let's have a look.

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2010, 03:55:08 PM »

I got my bike tuned by Doc this past March!
Just DO IT!
Bike has never run so well!

TimBone
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 21 queries.