CVO Technical > Twin Cam

STOCK HEADS

(1/6) > >>

STICKMAN:
I know all you guys with 103's have S.E. heads those of us with the 2002 95 inchers have stock heads.  I want to upgrade the heads, more air more compression  (i'd like to be around 10 to 1 but mainly I want to be able to go to a gear drive cam over 540 lift which I am told won't work with the stock valve springs. A mechanic friend of mine says he has had a lot of good feedback on the Edelbrock Power Package which comes with heads, pistons and 619 lift cams (gear drive of course).  So do I have my heads worked on, Buy the Power Package or buy S.E. heads and then install a gear drive by S&S, Andrews.........? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

GC_Super:
I would buy the SE heads from Benjy's or one of the other 20% off dealers and use S&S 570 cams.  Lots of guys run that combo on another board and thoise two play together real well.  To maximize the build, have the SE heads cleaned up first.  Then you could sell your heads and recoup some cash.

Unbalanced:
Personally I would take my stock heads and send them off for some TLC with a good builder they can shape / port / polish the heads add the needed seats / valves and valve springs and you would be better off since they LOOK Stock.   Next ask the head guy to match them up with a cam / pistons and boom your off and running.  

Packages are great, but they are mass production and generally not matched to each individual need / want.  By doing this you will be able to get what you want vs. over the counter bolt in that maybe close or could be exactly what you want not saying it cant, but I  prefer to let the guy who is going to do the heads to match all the rest that way I come back to one guy if its not what I want vs. it was a package of stuff.

If he wont give you a number he will stand behind then I wouldnt do it.   If he will then get it on paper where he is accountable for it.   It will cut the bull right then and there.  

STICKMAN:
 [smiley=biggthumpup.gif]That sounds like good advice. Thanks. I just happen to know a guy that rumor has it does great work.

johnsachs:
Stickman,
Port your stockers.This way they can be set up and optimized for your combination,or a suggested combo by the person that does the porting.
John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version