Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My First Scratch, and how I fixed it.  (Read 2664 times)

TORKER07

• Junior CVO Member
My First Scratch, and how I fixed it.
« on: June 04, 2008, 12:12:52 AM »

Well it was bound to happen, my bike lost it's virginity. While moving the bike around the garage the right saddlebag rubbed a roll toolbox cabinet and got a scratch about an inch long. It is a minor scratch but was down to the gray primer. What is one to do? I know from previous experience that a glob of blue touch up paint from the dealer was going to look like chit. So I thought what could I use to cover the gray primer and still be thin enough to not look like a blob.
I decided to try a Blue Sharpie Marker. WOW it worked awesome, one would really have to look hard to see the oops.

Problem resolved and allot less expensive than a repaint or touch-up up paint.

-Tork

Sean M Cary

Re: My First Scratch, and how I fixed it.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 03:31:32 PM »

Well it was bound to happen, my bike lost it's virginity. While moving the bike around the garage the right saddlebag rubbed a roll toolbox cabinet and got a scratch about an inch long. It is a minor scratch but was down to the gray primer. What is one to do? I know from previous experience that a glob of blue touch up paint from the dealer was going to look like chit. So I thought what could I use to cover the gray primer and still be thin enough to not look like a blob.
I decided to try a Blue Sharpie Marker. WOW it worked awesome, one would really have to look hard to see the oops.

Problem resolved and allot less expensive than a repaint or touch-up up paint.

-Tork

Got a gold one?  Dorked up my left saddlebag somehow today.

Sean

IRyde

• Chrome!! Zippin' by on an Electra Glide... Dual Tail Pipes... Doin' 105... In The Broad Daylight... On a Two Lane... Headin' Outta Town!!!!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE2
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 04:01:33 PM »

Got a gold one?  

We used these where I used to work.  I am thinking it would be a pretty close match.  page down the page until you see gold and silver pens.

http://www.theessentialscompany.co.uk/Markers.html#Staedtler%20Lumocolor%20Markers%20 

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 09:09:36 PM »

When I dropped my Ninja I used a sharpie and a cotton ball wet w/acetone. Ran the sharpie with the grain and the cotton right after against the grain so you wouldn't see the overlay of ink on the paint. Used a Rustoleum paint pen for the silver, they make gold ones and other colors as well.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 11:29:12 PM »

When I dropped my Ninja I used a sharpie and a cotton ball wet w/acetone. Ran the sharpie with the grain and the cotton right after against the grain so you wouldn't see the overlay of ink on the paint. Used a Rustoleum paint pen for the silver, they make gold ones and other colors as well.
How did it hold up to washing/waxing/etc?  :nixweiss:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 04:58:06 PM »

I only used spray polishes on it, no cream wax. The only problem with wax I could see is if you got it in the groove of the scratch you'd have to spend a little extra time removing it. The paint marker filled the scratch. I washed the bike frequently with car wash and one of those terry cloth/sponge type mitts and the colors never came out.

TORKER07

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 08:29:02 PM »

You could also use a thin coat of clear polyurethane over the color then sand it smooth with 1200 grit wet or dry and then polish it out.

Tork

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.