Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Anyone changed thier front rotors yet?  (Read 5264 times)

hondo

Anyone changed thier front rotors yet?
« on: September 09, 2009, 01:40:34 AM »

One of the biggest disappointments for me on the 2010 sesg is the front rotors, the wheels look great in the black and chrome, with chrome fork legs and then there is those bulky ugly rotors, I thought CVO bikes are suppose to be taken to the next level ,,,,, looks like they forgot the rotors, anyway anyone know where a person could find some polished or chrome replacements? please chim in ...........
Funny thing, on page 330 (i think) of the 2010 HD parts book they show a black softtail with the same wheels as ours with some clean sporty rotors attached, I have asked two different parts managers about this and neither can come up with a parts number, another Harley secret? seems like it

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Anyone changed thier front rotors yet?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 09:03:02 AM »

One of the biggest disappointments for me on the 2010 sesg is the front rotors, the wheels look great in the black and chrome, with chrome fork legs and then there is those bulky ugly rotors, I thought CVO bikes are suppose to be taken to the next level ,,,,, looks like they forgot the rotors, anyway anyone know where a person could find some polished or chrome replacements? please chim in ...........
Funny thing, on page 330 (i think) of the 2010 HD parts book they show a black softtail with the same wheels as ours with some clean sporty rotors attached, I have asked two different parts managers about this and neither can come up with a parts number, another Harley secret? seems like it

That's a non-ABS model. The rotors might be different, but don't know for sure. Just a thought. ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 - FLHTCUSE6 "Big Blue"
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 10:46:16 AM »

They actually made a change to the rotors for the SESG from what is on the 08SERK and 09SERG. The SESG rotors look like they are going to warp less because they have a lot more metal to dissipate the heat. I don't know if I would be changing them. You could just end up with having to replace warped rotors every 10,000 miles like us 08SERK and 09SERG owners.

kb

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 serk twilight/cobalt blue
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 03:05:40 PM »

My 08 SERK went into the dealer yesterday to have the rotors replaced.
kb

hondo

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 06:28:15 PM »

Umm, both those posts make sense .......... I'll keep looking

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 07:34:30 AM »

Hmmm ... here is my take on that photo. Looks to me like it is a standard "Agitator" (stock SESG) rotor that has been dis-assembled, powder-coated gloss black, then re-assembled and mounted with gloss black bolts. The floating portion of that rotor in the pic is the same design as the Agitator. Also take note that you cannot readily see the rotor mount bolts, only the floating ring bushings that separate the rotor center from the actual rotor. I'll bet a round of beers on it :)

Be a bit of work but a really cool look IMHO. Add it to the list of winter (I'm really bored cause I can't ride) mod list.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 07:39:34 AM by TIF2 »
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

jacksglide

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 11:36:17 AM »

Had to change out my 06 Road Glide rotors at 6000 miles. There was a letter that came from H.D. to the dealers about noisy rotors. They had three (3) seperate fixes for this problem. NONE worked, soe H.D. replaced a few rotors with there floaters. END of problem, and when the bean counters got wind of it, NO WAY NO HOW. I paid for the new rotors and have not looked back.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 05:09:24 PM »

This is so freakin weird! I break just about everything, and don't exactly baby my brakes at the speeds I normally ride. I've replaced most EVERYTHING on my SERK3, EXCEPT the rotors! I have 32K miles on the bike, and I'm still on the original front rotors (I put a Roadwinder Floating Rotor in the rear when I got the bike)! HTF can that be when most everyone has been complaining about them? Maybe this is one item youze need to be REAL HARD on to get it to last! Seems to be working for me!!! ::) ;D ;)

When they do go, Lyndall SS rotors will be replacing them! :2vrolijk_21:

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 - FLHTCUSE6 "Big Blue"
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 05:59:48 PM »

This is so freakin weird! I break just about everything, and don't exactly baby my brakes at the speeds I normally ride. I've replaced most EVERYTHING on my SERK3, EXCEPT the rotors! I have 32K miles on the bike, and I'm still on the original front rotors (I put a Roadwinder Floating Rotor in the rear when I got the bike)! HTF can that be when most everyone has been complaining about them? Maybe this is one item youze need to be REAL HARD on to get it to last! Seems to be working for me!!! ::) ;D ;)

When they do go, Lyndall SS rotors will be replacing them! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist,

My back one is OK, it is the front rotors I have problems with. I think the Brimbo breaks drag a bit on the rotors so I wear them out every 10k, most of my riding is 150+ miles per day may days at 300+ so unlike everyone else that stop and cool the breaks every 30~60 miles, I'm stopping for gas every 100 miles and then off again. The rotors heat up and never get any cooling time.

HD has replaced them 4 times already under warranty, I have the extended so they'll be doing them next year a couple times as well.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 06:04:23 PM »

Hoist,

My back one is OK, it is the front rotors I have problems with. I think the Brimbo breaks drag a bit on the rotors so I wear them out every 10k, most of my riding is 150+ miles per day may days at 300+ so unlike everyone else that stop and cool the breaks every 30~60 miles, I'm stopping for gas every 100 miles and then off again. The rotors heat up and never get any cooling time.

HD has replaced them 4 times already under warranty, I have the extended so they'll be doing them next year a couple times as well.

I wonder how many '07 SERK guys are having this issue? ???

You could be 100% right, it might just be them Brembo's! :nixweiss:

I have 6-piston PM's on my front with no adverse effects! :2vrolijk_21:

The rear uses a standard rotor (I replaced it with a floating), so maybe those aren't effected by the Brembos. ;)

Snowrdr

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 12:28:13 AM »

I wonder how many '07 SERK guys are having this issue?

You could be 100% right, it might just be them Brembo's!

Not this Serk owner have 18450 miles and have no issues.

As for brembo, sorry guys Brembo has probably the best R&D department in the world when it comes to brakes. They are run not only on H-D but darn near every rice rocket as well as Moto/GP bike. Look within maybe???? :-\

hondo

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 02:25:34 AM »

Hello TIF2,  I think I might have to take you up on that wager of a round of beers, I believe the rotors on page 330 are a complete different style, if you look real close the 'arms' that go down to the wheel have a very different shape than our serg rotors, there is another picture of the mystery rotor on a RG page 349, doesn't look like there is any powdercoated parts there?
Oh ya. I'm a budlight guy, how about you?   Hondo

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 08:22:24 AM »

Oh ya. I'm a budlight guy, how about you?   Hondo

If it's beer ... I'm IN!
Be happy to pay up anytime you're in town, I'll have a bud light on ice for ya   :drink:

It's interesting for sure, the rotor in the pics is definitely a floating rotor, it it certainly mounted to an Agitator wheel, yet it doesn't seem to have the mount bolts in the pic. All I can see are the float bushings and can't see the actual mount bolts.

Wish there was a real close-up of it ... I'm really intrigued.
TIF2

Invisible68

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 11:18:18 AM »

Hmmm ... here is my take on that photo. Looks to me like it is a standard "Agitator" (stock SESG) rotor that has been dis-assembled, powder-coated gloss black, then re-assembled and mounted with gloss black bolts. The floating portion of that rotor in the pic is the same design as the Agitator. Also take note that you cannot readily see the rotor mount bolts, only the floating ring bushings that separate the rotor center from the actual rotor. I'll bet a round of beers on it :)

Be a bit of work but a really cool look IMHO. Add it to the list of winter (I'm really bored cause I can't ride) mod list.

from what I see the front rotor on page 331 is the agitator rotor... but the part number does not match up with it.(the part number is not listed in the back of the book either)  the rotor on page 330 looks likes the rotor on the reaper wheel on page 674 but that is a 5 bolt on pattern... and the one on Page 330 is a 7 bolt pattern....
that rotor is also on page 676 bottom right of page.. but again it is a 5 bolt pattern... not 7 like in the picture on page 330....

I am guessing have to see the 'I-sheet' for correct part number.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 08:05:55 AM »

I tried to look up the part number listed for the rotor on page 331, which is supposed to be the stock SESG rotor, and got no matches.

The more I study the photo the more I stick to my original theory - it is a stock SESG rotor that has had the center portion of the rotor powder coated to match the wheel (gloss back). No matter where I look I can't see the actual rotor mount bolts. What am I missing?

I like the look enough that I am gonna do that this winter. I'll take a pic when it's done.
TIF2
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 21 queries.