Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Anyone changed thier front rotors yet?  (Read 5266 times)

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
Re: Anyone changed thier front rotors yet?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 07:59:02 PM »

Ok ... I have it figured out now and it is NOT gonna be easy. Dunno why but I let things get in my craw until I see the solution, and this my friends, appears to be a "one off" that the MoCo did for the catalog. Here is why:

First, according to the P&A catalog (and a search online), the Agitator wheel is only made for touring models. This is important as I'll point out later. Also, the wheel itself has been cut in such a way that the rotor mount points on the wheel are flat, or flush such that the rotor can sit against the wheel and bolt up.

Second, if you look at various pictures in the P&A book (especially in the VRSC section), you'll see what looks to be a floating rotor that is mounted in a rigid fashion, meaning that there aren't any float rivets. This was already pointed out earlier in the post referencing a 5 bolt rotor vs a 7 bolt rotor. But ... the rotor is not a solid rotor.

Now ... the rotors on the VRSC are floating rotors. I was at the dealer today and saw a Dyna that had the same type of mount for the rotor, with bolts where the rivets would normally be. The rotors still float because there are spring washers between the bolts and the rotors, so the rotor can still move (somewhat) in relation to the wheel for caliper alignment. This is mostly referred to as a "semi-floating" design because the movement is limited and requires a good amount of force on the rotor. Anyway ....

Here is the rub as they say ... in order to provide for that type of setup the wheel has to have a machined recess on the portion where the rotor sits against the wheel such that the overall rotor/wheel outer surface is flat, or flush to accept the spring washer/mounting bolt.

So ... long story short ... in order to have the setup like the picture on pages 331 and 349, you would need a notched area of the Agitator wheel AND an outer rotor portion that would sit in that notched area. If you are ever at a dealer and see that type of rotor setup (I looked at a '10 Super Glide) ... you'll see what I am talking about. Without recessing part of the wheel around the rotor mount points it wouldn't work.

Could be be that H-D is working on other applications for the Agitator wheel (like the VRSC or the Dyna) and used that wheel for the pic of the King that is on 331 and 349 ... maybe it will be available eventually ... but for now I don't see how it could be done without a lot of time, effort, and probably money.

So ... a round of beer to all whenever or if ever you're in the area ... or we meet at an event!  :bananarock:

Although ... powder-coating the center would help with that look but wouldn't achieve it  :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 08:11:22 PM by TIF2 »
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

hondo

Re: Anyone changed thier front rotors yet?
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 10:11:47 PM »

Wow,  nice job!  this is basicly what I have been trying to tell a few HD parts guys, (with no good answer) I had given up but now you have me stoked again... I hate those stock rotors!  I will keep digging, craig
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.