Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fuel Gauge fogging  (Read 3779 times)

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010flhxse
Fuel Gauge fogging
« on: September 14, 2009, 09:18:36 PM »

Has anyone  had their fuel gauge fog up. Is there any fix to it. My guess is that it has a faulty seal. My dealer says "This Is Normal, moisture is caused by the bike sitting on the side stand" The Mo-co will not replace it. Normal to me is that all gauges are the same, gas gauge is the only one that is fogged.
TJ :nixweiss: 
TJ

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
Re: Fuel Gauge fogging
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 09:26:49 PM »

Welcome to the wonderful world of Harley Davidson.

Seriously, they all do it, however I did read of a possible fix on another forum.  Someone postulated that the fogging was due to moisture running inside the fairing.  He took his outer fairing off and put duct tape over the top of each gauge and it seems to have corrected the problem.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 09:28:15 PM »

Whether it's normal (I guess they can say that when majority of them do it) or not it has been noticed on many bikes. As long as the condensation is clearing out I wouldn't worry about it. Mine and many others have had that problem.. usually occurs when you take the bike from one climate to another... as in inside to outside. Never bothered about getting mine looked at.... it's not accurate anyway. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

StrokedRider

• If i had to do it all over again i would Ride a little harder, Love a little better and Stay a little longer.
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Ride Hard, Live Free!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red / Black Ice (SOLD to Mjcw01)
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 10:40:36 PM »

I just witnessed my gauges do that. Definitely a moisture ingress issue. The worst occurrence was as i was changing elevation during a rain storm. (No telling how much water went past the windshield into the fairing)The second time was overnight after riding all day and the climate was heavy with fog. Definitely the gauges pulling in moisture but how i can only guess and that guess is past the light bulb. I plan to pop my fairing open and investigate when i perform some other tasks. Makes me wonder about the life expectancy of the gauges due to moisture. Which brings me to a related question........hows the bulb life been on these gauges????? Anyone?????

Oh ....i certainly wouldn't want to risk sealing these puppys up and encapsulate the moisture that may be left in them! But then again.... a blow dryer against the bulb hole without the bulb and an anal attempt at making th.......NAH!!!!!!!!
"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 08:38:33 AM »

I just wonder, why the gas gauge? I had this problem on all my bikes. The 06 didn't start till for a year or so. Its not the lowest gauge, that would be the air temp. Oh well, I was hoping someone got it fixed via warranty. I'll look at it next time I take the cap off.
TJ
TJ

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 08:46:45 AM »

First thing a Harley rider needs to learn is that, even though motorcycles are normally ridden outdoors where things like rain and snow and stuff happens, H-D has never seen a need to make anything actually waterproof.  Therefore, you get water in your gauges, you get water in your switches, you get water in your stereo, you get water in your turn signals, you get water in bearings, and you get water in various and sundry electrical connections.  The $1.95 gauges Harley has used for years make no pretense at being water resistant, much less water proof, so good luck getting your dealer to take this seriously.

This is where I would draw the line and refuse to accept the "normal" BS; if there is enough moisture to result in liquid being observed inside the gauge, not just fog or mist that dissipates, it isn't acceptable.  That is the standard used in automobiles for exterior lights that have venting systems.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 09:22:13 AM »

First thing a Harley rider needs to learn is that, even though motorcycles are normally ridden outdoors where things like rain and snow and stuff happens, H-D has never seen a need to make anything actually waterproof.  Therefore, you get water in your gauges, you get water in your switches, you get water in your stereo, you get water in your turn signals, you get water in bearings, and you get water in various and sundry electrical connections.  The $1.95 gauges Harley has used for years make no pretense at being water resistant, much less water proof, so good luck getting your dealer to take this seriously.

This is where I would draw the line and refuse to accept the "normal" BS; if there is enough moisture to result in liquid being observed inside the gauge, not just fog or mist that dissipates, it isn't acceptable.  That is the standard used in automobiles for exterior lights that have venting systems.

Jerry
This is normal is a response used way to often. Having spent a great deal more spent more $ than any Harley before accessory's anyway,I think I will be a great deal more picky than before. I believe this is a easy fix, just need to find the problem. Find out what is the difference between the gauges. Maybee that the vent is blocked somehow. I had hoped someone had solved this problem
TJ
TJ

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 10:53:36 AM »

I think one reason many haven't gotten passionate about fixing the gauge is because the accuracy of the gauge leaves something to be desired. Not to say that the lack of accuracy is acceptable, but the fact that it isn't accurate I don't think it really mattered to many to have the fog issue resolved. :nixweiss: That and the fact that it clears up over a few minutes after you start riding. Now water sitting in the gauge is a different story and as Jerry mentioned that would be cause for replacement.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.