Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1000 mile review  (Read 2129 times)

bigmuff

1000 mile review
« on: September 23, 2009, 10:19:22 PM »

Just under 1K on the new SESG.  Took my 2005 Road King out the other day for a ride and that prompted this report.

New frame is great.  Much stiffer and more solid feeling.  This bike rides really nice and handles great.  The four-point engine mount is a nice improvement and dampens vibrations better.

The 110 engine is strong but hesitates occasionally when just cracking the throttle.  The Super Tuner improved that but it still does it somewhat.

The drive train in general is smoother but also seems to have much more "slack" in it that my Road King.  I suspect this is the result of the compensator and the compensating rear sprocket.  It is still my opinion that these are just band-aids for an antiquated engine design.  Harley needs to put less emphasis on sound and more on drive quality.  A double-pin crankshaft and counterbalancers would obviate the need for all this stuff.

The valve train is noisy, especially when cold.  The valve noise varies with RPM which points to harmonic resonance.  I suspect the camshaft profile has a lot to do with this.  Louder pipes help mask the noise but it's still evident, especially at certain RPM's.

The bike looks incredible.  I get a lot of swivel-heads driving by.  Nice paint job, they seemed to have resolved the orange-peel issue although there's a little on my front fender.  Chrome looks good and thick.

All-in-all it's a much better bike than my Road King (which I love) and I'm actually surprised by how much better it is.  The Road King feels old in comparison (old like comparing a 57 Chevy with a new Corvette).

I'm a bit torn between wishing Harley would put a big Revo motor in the touring bikes and the nostalgia of the big air-cooled Twin.  On the one hand the big Twin sounds great, looks great and has plenty of torque, but on the other it's noisy, hot and unrefined.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: 1000 mile review
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 11:05:31 PM »

:nixweiss: :nixweiss:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 12:01:32 AM »

That was an in debth review......but appreciated. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 03:24:52 PM »

Tell us something about the two different rear adjustable hyd shocks and the comfort  , do they bottom when riding two up ?
Better than the old air-shocks ?
 Worth to buy and upgrade the 09SERG ?
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 21 queries.