Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Preliminary test on polishes  (Read 30757 times)

DHTDHT

Preliminary test on polishes
« on: December 10, 2006, 05:19:55 PM »

My dark blue Harley is just not ready for a polish, so I decided to do a very preliminary test on my metallic light brown jeep that is a year old and has never been polished.  I tested three products:

1. Glare Spider followed by their pro polish.

2. MeGuiar's #7 polish, no waxing.

3. Zaino.

Results are as follows:

1. Daylight viewing:  undetectable between any brand to naked eye.

2. Flourescent light:  undetectable.

3. Slippery feel to finger:  Glare is best.

4. Water beading:  Glare is slightly better.

I really need to repeat these tests on dark paint, but the preliminary results show all three products have an excellent result and shine, but the Glare seems to be better to the touch and to water beading. I am most interested in doing the test again on dark paint, under flourescent light, and to include Harley Glaze, and to add the MeGuiar's Carnuba Wax after their polish.  That is only fair to MeGuiars, since the other two products were given the "two step" process.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Preliminary test on polishes
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 07:41:32 PM »

DHTDHT that is great. I am glad we have an unbiased opinion.

Can you tell us how many coats ect????? The condition of the paint before application? Did the paint have clear coat? On the glare and Zaino products did you follow instructions to the t?

I know a lot of questions but someone on here might have beat me to them.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 07:55:37 PM »

Thanks for posting the early results. Lots of questions already asked but how easy was application? Thanks again.

DHTDHT

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 07:56:23 PM »

I did follow all instructions to the T, and I am an old Zaino pro.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 07:58:56 PM by DHTDHT »

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 10:33:35 AM »

I did follow all instructions to the T, and I am an old Zaino pro.
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 11:03:12 AM »

I agree with the abrasive nature of the Micro Polish, the harshest of the 3. I don't know about the abrasive content of the Sspider and and Polish, but that Micro Finish sure got rid of all the fine scratches on my '99 which is going up for sale just in time for Daytona.

DHTDHT

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 12:50:17 PM »

DC, I basicly agree with you on this, but I'll post more results as I'm able. I always used Zaino on my Honda S2000 sportscar, and was very impressed with its mild nature and nice shine.  It did not take out the swirl marks on my black Superglide that were visible only under flourescent light.  I suppose each product has its pluses and minuses.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 07:26:54 PM »

DC, I basicly agree with you on this, but I'll post more results as I'm able. I always used Zaino on my Honda S2000 sportscar, and was very impressed with its mild nature and nice shine.
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

DHTDHT

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 08:51:01 PM »

I believe that the pro-polish is all you need for maintenance.  I wanted to throw in the Spider as a first step on a previously unpolished paint surface.  It is so hard to make comparisons on light colored metallic paint.  I guess that's why it is so popular in the automotive industry

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 08:55:51 PM »

I believe that the pro-polish is all you need for maintenance.

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 10:38:45 PM »

Hoist, the pro polish is not abrasive and is all that is required after the intitial application process, which is very easy.  A touch up on occasion is all that is needed.  I've been using the Glare since I got the bike last June...it's the only product thats ever touched the paint on my Ultra, my Duc, and the Vrod.  It makes the red on the V and Duc really pop.

For another unbiased review,check out this site, which was what made me purchase the product last April

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/glare-polish/glare-polish.htm

There is a link at the bottom of the page for a test of the Glare Spider product as well.  Judge for yourself...these guys have tried it all.  The site is an excellent reference for other motorcycle related products as well.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 12:14:15 AM »

Hoist, the pro polish is not abrasive and is all that is required after the intitial application process, which is very easy.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 06:02:48 AM »

DHT, since it's preliminary, it sounds preliminarily good. I'd like to hear what you have to say on dark paint. Is the Glare multi-step process required every time? I thought you would do this to get the swirls out and just 1 step for maintenance or would that not work? [highlight]Would the multi-step process deteriorate the clear coat over time? [/highlight]Inquiring polishers want to know.
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 07:52:29 AM »

The one with abrasives sure will. That is why I am still going to use Zaino. If you go to their web site and read all about the multi step process including the use of a clay bar in the the very first application you will see why.

The guys on the show vehicle circuit use Zaino. There is a reason for that. If you pay 10 grand or more for a paint job you want the very best. NO ABRASIVES nadda none. Your bike takes enough of a beating on the road from simple road grime.

I have what I think is a superior product. I have used it for years. The dirty truck in MV had Zaino on it and has for years, it is a 2001 and still looks new. Toooo many people made comments on how good the truck looked.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Sure it's in here somewhere, but how about a link or number for the best (translated least expensive) place to order Zaino?

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 09:51:13 AM »

OK, I just jumped into this tread after being away for the weekend. It has obviously been alterered by our moderators a little.
I have already purchased the Glare product.
TC, are you saying that I don't need to use all 3 products on my new B/O ? There are no swirl marks just the orange peel that I can live with. All I want is a good shine & some protectant. TIA, AJ
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 24 queries.