Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: screamin eagle breather  (Read 4202 times)

JMK

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE7(sold)
    • CVO3: FLHTCUSE3(sold)
screamin eagle breather
« on: May 28, 2020, 06:43:28 PM »

I have a 15FLTRUSE, another thread in the intake exhaust section talks about the stock air cleaner reducing torque across the rpm band, and recommends the SE Heavy Breather. Anyone put this on the road glide? Problems with fit to fairing or Knee? What other breather have you used to improve flow?
Thanks

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: screamin eagle breather
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 09:28:59 PM »

on a bike with lowers, there will definitely be a lack of room with the heavy breather.  you could get it to work if you use the compact filter, that'll leave you about 1/2'' to open the lower fairing door.

i ran that way for a while, but i just couldn't get past the look.  it was too jammed up jelly tight, so i replaced the heavy breather with the ventilator.  less room issues and looked better (imo).  i certainly couldn't tell any difference in performance, but then, my bike was just a 110 with a stage 1.  it was not built, and still had the stock 255 cams.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 09:32:18 PM by skratch »
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 08:50:50 AM »

I have a 15FLTRUSE, another thread in the intake exhaust section talks about the stock air cleaner reducing torque across the rpm band, and recommends the SE Heavy Breather. Anyone put this on the road glide? Problems with fit to fairing or Knee? What other breather have you used to improve flow?
Thanks

Is the engine stock, or nearly stock?  If so, I don't think I'd worry about a couple ft-lb of torque.  Trust me, you will never be able to tell the difference with your seat-of-the-pants dyno in normal riding.  The Heavy Breather is not recommended for your bike by Harley, due to the Twin Cooling system as well as the lowers.  Yes, you can make it fit with the compact filter element, but you will have to remove it every time you want to access the coolant bottle.  And all bets are off if you've installed speakers in the lowers.

If you're determined to find a higher flow air cleaner, look to the aftermarket for things like a larger (wider) element for the Ventilator, one of the old style round filters in a high flow version, or similar ideas.  Be aware you will give up leg room with anything wider.  In other words, there is no free lunch, there will always be trade-offs as long as Harley insists on hanging the throttle body and filter off the side of the engine sharing space with your leg.

JMHO - Jerry

PS.   If you don't mind rebuilding the engine on a regular basis, I suppose a short velocity stack with a gravel strainer screen on the end might work  ;).
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JMK

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 09:35:05 AM »

Thanks, planning on at least a cam if not the full 117 kit with the tts150. The discussion on other thread was lots of torque loss early with the ventilator. Trying to see what others have used with the wet head lowers that flowed and caused less interference to the knee .

georgw221

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 10:16:27 AM »

JMK

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 05:28:02 PM »

I dont find one to fit the 15.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 06:12:33 PM »

This is what you need.
 http://www.boyesen.com/power-x-intake

This is Snake Oil George. Just a added resistion that is not needed.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 06:30:07 PM »

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/se-chisel-extreme-billet-air-cleaner-kit        i have used this on an other bike that had lower fairings with good results, air has a straight(er) shot into the TB... no 90 degree turn into the TB like the AC you now have . HD has a few that use this filter element with different cover styles and chrome  :nixweiss: 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 06:37:56 PM by fastfreddy »
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Homer 661

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 09:27:55 PM »

My 15 FLTRUSE came with the ventilator and rather than lose any legroom I modified the cover by trimming off the top and bottom tabs for a non-restricted airflow. Trimmed out the edge with black door edge guard.

joejoebobo

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 02:28:29 PM »

My 15 FLTRUSE came with the ventilator and rather than lose any legroom I modified the cover by trimming off the top and bottom tabs for a non-restricted airflow. Trimmed out the edge with black door edge guard.

interesting... Homer, could you send a pic of this mod?
-Joe

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 06:23:58 AM »

Thanks

I had an 15 FLTRUSE, the heavy breather will not fit.  When you add the short cone to make it fit, you gaining no real air flow over the stock ventilator.  Stock ventilator is good up to 118 or so torque and 105 HP or so.  So unless doing cams and so on, the ventilator will be ok.  Ventiltor on the twin cams is a better unit than the ventilator on the M8 motors. 

If you really want more air, Suburban speed makes a lager filter set up for the ventilator, a bit less the money then T-mans set up.  Fuel Moto may also have an option for the ventilator.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

georgw221

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 11:13:57 AM »

This is what you need.
 http://www.boyesen.com/power-x-intake

This is Snake Oil George. Just a added resistion that is not needed.

So you have tried one ? Please post your results using a dyno sheet.

JMK

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 04:11:00 PM »

I just did the same to mine, didnt trim it out at all and it still  looks pretty good. I think I will put some chrome paint on the metal edge where it was cut just to keep it from rusting. May be the placebo effect but it seems to run a little better at higher rpms.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 09:57:10 AM by JMK »

joejoebobo

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2020, 10:44:22 AM »

I just did the same to mine, didnt trim it out at all and it still  looks pretty good. I think I will put some chrome paint on the metal edge where it was cut just to keep it from rusting. May be the placebo effect but it seems to run a little better at higher rpms.

That looks really clean... how did you end up cutting this? What tools did you use?
-Joe

georgw221

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2020, 11:34:41 AM »

I dont find one to fit the 15.
Their website is not up to date, but I  assure you, It does fit your bike..
I have a friend that installed one on a 2016 CVO Road Glide Ultra. If you install one and retune your bike ,,,, You won't believe how much better your bike will run..
.. http://boyesen.com/power-x-intake
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 24 queries.