Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Battery  (Read 3291 times)

CVO 2015

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Re: Battery
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 10:58:22 PM »

New lithium Harley battery..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Glenncarp

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 09:54:56 AM »

Harley has a new lighter weight battery that has more cranking amps than the original batteries..The cost is $299.99 for the touring bikes.

Just bought same one at Advanced Auto for $178, fit is perfect. The HD tag on the battery doubles the price for no difference.

Tip though: the terminal posts are not threatened,they come with square nuts that are inserted into the posts from the side. With the tight working space, I used a zip tie to hold the nut to the top of the post. Zip tie was loose so loop goes through hollow terminal and around top, zip tie is used to pull nut to top of post when terminal screws are installed but also to assist in lifting the battery in and out of the battery box with help of strap on bike.

rayz1951

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2019, 11:10:49 AM »

I know they are much lighter and greater cranking amps, but $300 for an Ultra battery, :'( :'(?
RayZ

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2019, 11:47:10 AM »

https://www.renegadebattery.com/Power_Sport_Batteries-12_Volt_30_Amp_Sealed_Maintenance_Free_Battery_2.html

Been looking at this one. 600+ cca

I just bought one of the Renegade 600+ batteries and installed it last Sunday.  It seems good so far, started the bike once after the install.

Out of box voltage was around 13.9v.  Have battery tender on it now and will start again this weekend.  Cold oil and all will be a good cranking test.

Last year at ES it was cranking a bit slow in the mornings and I felt that a battery "may" be in my future.  Unfortunately we did not ride much on the CVO last summer, Linda's back was bothering.  So when she doesn't ride with me, I ride the old '76 FLH Shovelhead.  It gets lots of looks at the watering holes I frequent.

I had the tender on the CVO all winter and it would not start it, just crank a couple revs and then start to click.  I pulled out the old battery, Harley replacement by the way, I had marked it as 4-14-14, so almost 5 years on the battery.  I can live with that.  The Shovelhead on the other hand seems to still go through batteries about every other year or so.  Maybe three, but that's pushing it.  They are lead acid.  I'm sure that I could research and get a AGM battery, but the replacements are only in the $80 range, so not so bad.

I'll let you all know how the Renegade 600+ works when I get riding again.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2019, 01:30:03 PM »

Dan where did you get that battery? Was it about the same price as in my post you referenced ($109)?
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2019, 05:23:34 PM »

Wonder where I got the idea to try this battery instead of OEM?  Seems like it was from a fellow named Dood.   ;D  :2vrolijk_21:
Every now and then I stumble across something worthwhile... I probably got/found it from somebody else on the site. :D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2019, 05:29:05 PM »

Obviously your dealer is a crook.  I've never encountered any place of business that tried to charge me for taking in the old battery when selling me a new one.  In most cases they will charge you a core fee if you don't have an old one to turn in.  Used batteries are normally recycled by the industry and much of the material is reused.  In the case of buying new batteries online, I have just taken the old ones to a recycling place near me, or many auto parts places will take them for free and include them with their own returns.  They get paid by the recyclers for the old ones, so there's no reason I can think of why they would charge anyone to take it.

Jerry
Around here several of the auto parts stores will actually pay you a few bucks for your old batteries (not when exchanged for a new purchase of course).  Obviously they're getting slightly more from the recyclers.  Anything is better than zero though; so might as well take them in.
Exactly.  Several years ago I bought a Deka from batterymart.com.  After install I took my old H-D battery to Auto Zone and got some amount (don't recall) of store credit for it.  Don't think dealer would have given me anything.
As Jerry said dealer is ripping you off... taking money from you and making money on what they charged you for... imagine that. >:(

Jerry/Don/Jerry same here... had a couple old batteries and took them to battery dealer just to drop them off for them to recycle... he gave me $$ for them which I wasn't expecting... made my day. :beerchug:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2019, 06:20:10 PM »

The latest in special services from the MoCo.  Available in test markets now and rolling out to the entire American market soon.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2019, 08:07:41 PM »

The latest in special services from the MoCo.  Available in test markets now and rolling out to the entire American market soon.
You say/post this jokingly... however I've seen the drastic change since coming to H-D in 1999... long gone are the Mom/Pop dealerships that you felt like family, I would visit dealership's weekly just to shoot the chit/etc.... to now the "auto" dealership mentality where you feel like you're just another profit for them. :( >:(

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2019, 08:35:19 PM »

You say/post this jokingly... however I've seen the drastic change since coming to H-D in 1999... long gone are the Mom/Pop dealerships that you felt like family, I would visit dealership's weekly just to shoot the chit/etc.... to now the "auto" dealership mentality where you feel like you're just another profit for them. :( >:(

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
We lose out on the friendly, family atmosphere......and they gain with buying in bulk for multiple dealerships and NOT passing on any savings to the loyal customer. I'd buy aftermarket before a HD labeled battery....as I do with almost everything lately!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

CVO 2015

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2019, 08:41:28 PM »

I like to buy Harley parts, but I will shop online at Surdyke Harley, Ronnies, or whomever has the lowest price with free shipping of course.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2019, 09:19:13 PM »

I like to buy Harley parts, but I will shop online at Surdyke Harley, Ronnies, or whomever has the lowest price with free shipping of course.

Don't really have that option up here in Canada

CVO 2015

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2019, 10:12:33 PM »

Dayne 66...Last June i rode from S. California through Oregon and Washington to Canada..We even took the ferry over to Victoria and rode around a bit ..People were friendly, and one person at the dealership invited us over for dinner...The food was really good too..You cant get Harley parts shipped into Canada from the US?

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2019, 12:38:33 AM »

[/quote]
Dayne 66.....You cant get Harley parts shipped into Canada from the US?

Nope...used to get them shipped to Ship Happens......Mother Harley put a stop to that...now I get them shipped to a buds in the US....go down and install / pick up the goods. I hear that next,,,,,Harley wont be allowed to accept Canadian CCs for shipped orders. I have saved up to 42% ...I WILL NOT pay what the Canadian dealers want! Everything used to go through Deeley.....then they were getting rid of the middleman and prices were to go down.......lower prices didn't happen!

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 11:42:22 AM by dayne66 »

CVO 2015

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2019, 07:36:03 AM »

Wow..Prices were different on bikes in Canada and i never knew of i was speeding due to mph conversions..but I would save 42% too..

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 25 queries.