Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: More Speedo Woes  (Read 12829 times)

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
More Speedo Woes
« on: April 16, 2008, 08:09:14 PM »

I read a couple of the threads but didn't see an exact match so thought I'd put the question to the group.  Following a stop for gas after riding 30 minutes or so, my speedometer's needle started jumping between the actual speed I was traveling (at least it looked close) and zero.  As the bike got warmed up, the speedometer settled at zero.  I followed the HD repair manual procedure for removing the speed sensor and cleaned it.  I did find some grime and some shavings and cleaned the sensor thoroughly with a rag (no chemicals).  Put it back together and the speedo again registered for about 30 seconds, then started its dance and quickly dropped to zero. 

Ironically, the turn signal canceler seems to be not working or at least sluggish and the gas gauge began its little dance around 3/4 full.  Wonder if I am looking at something electrical and more general.  Any ideas on what to check next?  Any way to rule out the speedo itself before investing in the speed sensor for naught?  The bike has 35k on it.

thanks in advance,

Blue
Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm throttle body, Dewey's Pro-Street ported heads, SE cam plate w/Baisley HP spring, Zipper's pro-taper TC pushrods, S&S Rockers & Boxes, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Corbin, M/C Armor, HarleyGoodies

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: More Speedo Woes
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 12:35:01 AM »

Blue, I don't remember all the details.  Someone more knowledgeable than I will hopefully add to this.  But the speedo impacts more than just the happy little needle we see informing us how fast we're going down the road.

Barring diagnostic gear that might (or might not) tell you specifically what the problem is your next course of action is the old tried and true try-the-simplest/cheapest-thing-first approach.  Make sure all the connections are clean and tight.  Then replace the sensor.  When all that's left is the speedo.. well.... gulp $$$.

cash338

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2001 FLTRSEI2
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 01:20:34 AM »

I had this same problem along with the turn signal problem, and it totally cleared up after I REPLACED the speed sensor.  Sometimes those electrical gremlins don't like to get cleaned.  If I remember, the part was not that expensive, but the HD dealership did not tuck the cable all of the way back in and I had to basically do it myself.  Hope this helps.   Scot
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 01:40:23 AM »

I had this same problem along with the turn signal problem, and it totally cleared up after I REPLACED the speed sensor.  Sometimes those electrical gremlins don't like to get cleaned.  If I remember, the part was not that expensive, but the HD dealership did not tuck the cable all of the way back in and I had to basically do it myself.  Hope this helps.   Scot

For about the same price as the Harley branded part (74437-96) the aftermarket has one that's got a shiny billet end on it too. 

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 07:33:23 AM »

had same issues at around 25000 miles..replaced speed sensor and fixed problems
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

IslandUltra

• IslandUltra
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 12:24:21 PM »

I had a similar problem on my Road King and it turned out to be the ignition switch.  I was able to jiggle the switch when it occured and make it work.  Replaced it and had no further problems.

Hobo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 06:19:02 PM »

I read a couple of the threads but didn't see an exact match so thought I'd put the question to the group.  Following a stop for gas after riding 30 minutes or so, my speedometer's needle started jumping between the actual speed I was traveling (at least it looked close) and zero.  As the bike got warmed up, the speedometer settled at zero.  I followed the HD repair manual procedure for removing the speed sensor and cleaned it.  I did find some grime and some shavings and cleaned the sensor thoroughly with a rag (no chemicals).  Put it back together and the speedo again registered for about 30 seconds, then started its dance and quickly dropped to zero. 

Ironically, the turn signal canceler seems to be not working or at least sluggish and the gas gauge began its little dance around 3/4 full.  Wonder if I am looking at something electrical and more general.  Any ideas on what to check next?  Any way to rule out the speedo itself before investing in the speed sensor for naught?  The bike has 35k on it.

thanks in advance,

Blue

My complaint was exactly the same on my 03 Softail (88B Motor), new speed sensor fixed it. :2vrolijk_21:

Hobo
2001 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide (FLTRSEI2)

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

Re: More Speedo Woes - How Do You Get Thing Out of There
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 12:14:35 PM »

Thanks Cash338, Twolanerider, Screem, IslandUltra & Hobo for the feedback.  Based on the sage advice here I purchased the speed sensor (my cruise is out also) so all the symptoms pointed to the speed sensor.

Scot, I have no doubt that the dealer didn't route the cable correctly.  That is the problem I am having this morning.  The service manual is not very descriptive about this installation, but when I got into it, I found that the sensor cable was neatly run through a loom clip (?) at the front of the bottom of the battery box with two other wires and also clipped to the frame (in front of the right side cover) with other wires.  I got it free okay (after taking out the battery) but now I can't seem to pull the cable out for lack of room (starter, etc.).  I can cut one end off and slide it out, but that doesn't help me get the new cable in.  Scot or others who have done this replacement, what's the trick (so cussin' at it hasn't helped  :-[)...

thanks,

Blue

Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm throttle body, Dewey's Pro-Street ported heads, SE cam plate w/Baisley HP spring, Zipper's pro-taper TC pushrods, S&S Rockers & Boxes, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Corbin, M/C Armor, HarleyGoodies

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 01:00:23 PM »

The easy way to install is to de-pin the 3 pin connector and pull wire from under the starter. De-Pin the new one slide wire under starter and apply pins to connector.

:pumpkin:

Brad

I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 01:21:44 PM »

Brad,

Thanks but flustration won out while I was waiting for an answer I cut the old one (at the sensor) and slide the old one out - as I knew it had to come out anyway.  The new part number 74429-97C (original was 74429-97) doesn't want to go down the last bit (beyond the o-ring I'm guessing).  I will just have to be more persausive  ::).  The service manual shows the cable routed under the front of the chrome starter cap and behind the oil spout and it does tuck nice in there and I was able to fish the other end (without de-pinning it up through the frame in front of the battery box.  I will need to replace the wire loop that I cut that attaches to the frame to re-secure the wires. As Scot suggested, I doubt the mechanics at the dealer will be this careful so beware if you have this part installed.  I don't think heat will be a problem where I am installing it, but if someone knows better, please advise.

thanks,

Blue

cash338

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2001 FLTRSEI2
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 07:52:02 PM »

You did pretty much exactly what I did.  It almost seems they put the connectors on after the wire was run through... :nixweiss:
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 10:06:58 PM »

Thanks Scot.  I appreciated Brad's suggestion and the routing of the wire made the best sense but the de-pinning was a little too involved for me.  Mine went back together pretty simply with my (our) approach, I just need an off-set wire tie to snug up the cable, the wire loom and what ever the other cable is that were wire tied and plugged into the frame rail. 

Raining cats and dogs here so no test ride yet  8).  Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.

Randy (Blue)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 10:01:51 PM »

My complaint was exactly the same on my 03 Softail (88B Motor), new speed sensor fixed it. :2vrolijk_21:

Hobo

DITTO!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 05:22:45 AM »

hay blue,  did the sensor fix the problem?  if not what year is the bike. it makes a difference in the sensor connecting to the speedo first or the ecm first, let us know.
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 08:58:15 PM »

Axil, Hobo and the rest of the gang, thanks for all the help.  Replacing of the speed sensor did in fact fix the problem  :orange:.  Test drove it just now and it was great to have the speedo, blinker canx and cruise back.  It was the combination of these symptoms that made me confident that the speed sensor was the culprit. 

As I said earlier in the thread, the service manual is not very descriptive or helpful on the removal/install.  For me I had to take the battery out, cut off one end of the old sensor to remove it and reroute it a bit differently than the original.

Scot also made the point that the dealer didn't tuck the wires in appropriately on his and he had to work on it himself.  There would appear be a lot of room for a dealer to do a sloppy job on this one if they are "in a hurry" so beware.  Last but not least, I asked the speed sensor and the parts guy first pulled a cam sensor which looks somewhat similar (on the sensor end) so make sure you are getting the right part - 74429-97C on my bike.

thanks again to all,

Blue
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 24 queries.