Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Back rest for TP  (Read 7647 times)

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
Back rest for TP
« on: December 29, 2007, 09:18:19 AM »

Not sure where this question should go, but I'll go for it...

I have the full size tour pack but when buying the new Corbin seat, I did not want the Arm Chair back rest. So I bought the Corbin tour pack pad http://www.corbin.com/accessories/rest5.jpg and am questioning what to put in the vacant place on the bottom half of the box.

I see the new arm chair/rest http://www.corbin.com/accessories/hd-pak-6-tr.jpg is two separate pieces... has anyone ordered this yet? If so is there a separate part number for the bottom half and what was the bolt pattern? I am trying to figure out why it is listed as 06 - 08, are the tour packs different in some way?

Thanks for any help!  :2vrolijk_21:
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Back rest for TP
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 10:40:30 AM »

I have the full size tour pack but when buying the new Corbin seat, I did not want the Arm Chair back rest. So I bought the Corbin tour pack pad http://www.corbin.com/accessories/rest5.jpg and am questioning what to put in the vacant place on the bottom half of the box.

I see the new arm chair/rest http://www.corbin.com/accessories/hd-pak-6-tr.jpg is two separate pieces... has anyone ordered this yet? If so is there a separate part number for the bottom half and what was the bolt pattern? I am trying to figure out why it is listed as 06 - 08, are the tour packs different in some way?

Does Candy have a tan backrest on her tour pak?  If so take a look at the backrest that would have come on her bike stock.  Those are a much fuller piece than that hockey puck offering from Corbin and they have a lower extension.  You could send it to Corbin and they can recover it to match your seat.

If Candy doesn't have a tan backrest but might be interested in using one let me know.  My tan seat was supplied with a tan hockey puck and  I can't imagine ever using it.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 10:47:59 AM »

I can't be any help Jamie.  As fine as Corbin's seats are, their tourpack backrests (especially for the chopped) are terrible.  The backrests for the king are TOO large.  Do like Don says, have them recover a MOCO one the way you want it.  They don't like to do it but they will. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 10:53:54 AM »

They don't like to do it but they will. 

Did Corbin give you some flack Bob?  How bad?

My experience was completely different.  Just called and asked about the job.  Emailed a photo of the stock backrest so they'd know what they were working on.  The guy gave me a price and I mailed it out.  Couple weeks later it came back.

It went in traveling with my black dual tour seat when it got its "nose job."  But that didn't seem to make any differnece to the process.  It really seemed like just another job to them when I got mine done.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 11:20:39 AM »

They've had different models and styles of the pad that goes on the back rest, under the lid.  For the most part, they don't offer much in the way of padding, for the passenger.  It was explained to me that the reason they're so thin is because the backrest itself is cut much closer to the tour pack, allowing the passenger and extra inch or so in depth from the rider.  So, I guess they gave a little to get a little.

Here's a link to a slide show of my seat being made at Corbin.  You'll see this one is different from the one that is posted above.  Since you don't have a passenger, this may be the one that you're looking for.     http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=12&uid=912505&gid=4000502&
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 06:50:42 PM »

I ordered this one Jamey. It's 1-piece. I ordered it with Flame Stitching to match my Dual-Touring Heated Seat. #HD-PAK-6-TR for For 2006 and up Tour-Paks. #132 is for 2005 and prior model Tour-Paks.

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 07:54:11 PM »

black dual tour seat when it got its "nose job." 

Hey Don, does that mean your dual tour was a road king seat and you had the nose changed to match the CSE2 seat?
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 10:17:49 PM »

I forgot to mention that they're attached with a couple of the wide velcro strips that are taped to the tour pack (no holes drilled).  At least that's the way that the one in the picture and the one that I have on my bike now, are attached.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 10:18:59 PM »

Did Corbin give you some flack Bob?  How bad?

Don-
When I spoke with my Florida sales rep about the seat, they told me they wouldn't recover my tourpack backrest.  Then I told him that they did for a friend named 2Lanerider and all was good.    :)   Basically he told me they didn't advertise that they would recover your old backrest but would.

Duane-
The nose job Don is referring to is where Corbin shaves/narrows the front of the seat a little.  That's what Corbin calls it.  What they did in Don's and my cases were to cut off the sharp edges of the seat on the outside just before where your butt is and rounded the sharp edges off.  

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 11:01:02 PM »

Hey Don, does that mean your dual tour was a road king seat and you had the nose changed to match the CSE2 seat?

Duane, Bob touched on in the post above here.  For me the seat came up too high under my thighs.  From just below the hips to about half way down the thighs.  The Road Kings I'd had prior with Corbin seats had nearly identical width and general shape.  But they "sloped" more at the sides where the legs crossed over.

Corbin recognized with surprising precision the feeling I described to them.  The seat even occasionally left a case of the tinglies in one leg or the other.  Corbin offers one free "adjustment" of any seat bought new during the lifetime of that ownership.  So after I'd had it close to a year it went back to them and they shaved it down a bit in the areas they deemed correct.  It made a tremendous difference.  The seat was good before.  It was great when it was done.

Just a difference in the thickness and shape of the pad for the SEEG seats compared to other touring seats they'd done to that time.  They made their original SEEG model from JC's bike.  So I've always blamed him for the shape of the seat :huepfenlol2: .

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 07:45:46 AM »

I ordered this one Jamey. It's 1-piece. I ordered it with Flame Stitching to match my Dual-Touring Heated Seat. #HD-PAK-6-TR for For 2006 and up Tour-Paks. #132 is for 2005 and prior model Tour-Paks.

Hoist! 8)

Are you SURE that is one piece and not one part number? :nixweiss:

Hey, I just checked that part number and it includes the corbin bubble batwing!  ::)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 08:40:32 AM by CandyMan! »
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 07:51:24 AM »

The part Jamey is missing and is looking for is to cover the expanse between the four inch wide pad on the top of the tour pack lid, and the lower part of the tour pak.  In this picture you can see the expanse in orange. If I understand JCZ' post, he has some kind of pad covering that area, attached with velcro?

We can't find this part on the corbin site or the hd site. 

« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 07:54:48 AM by Mrs.WeCVO »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 09:11:45 AM »

Are you SURE that is one piece and not one part number? :nixweiss:

Hey, I just checked that part number and it includes the corbin bubble batwing!  ::)

Since you put it that way, I guess I'm not sure. :o

It appears to be 1-piece in their pic. I ordered it by P/N though. I'll let you know when I get it, I guess! ;)

Includes their bubble batwing? :nixweiss: ;D

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 11:40:37 AM »

The part Jamey is missing and is looking for is to cover the expanse between the four inch wide pad on the top of the tour pack lid, and the lower part of the tour pak.  In this picture you can see the expanse in orange. If I understand JCZ' post, he has some kind of pad covering that area, attached with velcro?

We can't find this part on the corbin site or the hd site. 

You are right.  Where the OEM part is all one piece and the padding down below is actually attached to the back rest and lifts up with the lid when it's opened, Corbin is a two piece.  I'll get a picture of it in a short while. 

Hoist it's also two pieces in the photo that you've posted.....you can see where the lip of the lid seperates the back rest and the back rest pad down lower.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 11:49:18 AM »

I just went to the Corbin site and they do not show a seperate part number for the pad.  But the picture clearly shows that they are two different pieces.  http://www.corbin.com/accessories/rest2.jpg      Candy, if you were to call Corbin in Hollister and describe to them the piece that you're talking about, I'm sure that they'd get you one.

I've read it on other sites more so than here, but it seems like Corbin in Calif. and Corbin in Fla. have two different ideas of customer service.  I'd suggest calling the factory in Calif. :nixweiss:

West Coast GTG   

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 02:02:18 PM »

I just went to the Corbin site and they do not show a seperate part number for the pad.  But the picture clearly shows that they are two different pieces.  http://www.corbin.com/accessories/rest2.jpg      Candy, if you were to call Corbin in Hollister and describe to them the piece that you're talking about, I'm sure that they'd get you one.

I've read it on other sites more so than here, but it seems like Corbin in Calif. and Corbin in Fla. have two different ideas of customer service.  I'd suggest calling the factory in Calif. :nixweiss:

Yes, Corbin will sell the lower piece by itself.  The salesman will have to know what he's looking for and how to line item it on its own.  They didn't all know how to do that. Had to go through three of them to finally find someone who could.

Then they wanted so much for it that it was cheaper to buy a little pad, velcro and black leather and have a local leather shop quickly sew a flat pad together.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 02:31:42 PM »

As always, you guys are great.  We went to breakfast with our local HOG chapter and we were able to put eyes on the corbin solution that you have JCZ.  Now that we have seen it, it makes a lot more sense.  We also have seen the HD solution, $40 poofy little pouch that requires two holes to be drilled into the tour pak.  Everyone pretty much knows how much we all like drilling into our painted parts.  So now that we know what we have to work with, and twolanerider, you suggestion was also talked about.  Then just walking around the HD shop, Jamey eyed some fork bags - the windshield bags had an intimidating metal piece that we did not get over - and saw one that looked like it could easily fill the void, using the velcro idea, could be a bit handy and if essential to carry some passenger - don't know who that would ever be - the bag could be filled with something soft or just removed altogether.  I don't want anyone getting too comfortable back there.   :D ;)

On the first, we will have the bike at the shop for the polar bear ride, can hold the bag up to the spot and see what we think. 

Thanks all. 

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 02:55:13 PM »

I think you'll quickly see that it's an entirely different kind of leather than the seat.  You might want to take the backrest to your local leather alteration shop (to match the leather type) and have them just make you a pad 10 1/2"x6".  It's tapered a little towards the bottom and the bottom two corners are radiused.  So the pad at the bottom is only about 10" wide.   Looks like it should be pretty simple and straight forward for any leather shop worth your business.

West Coast GTG   

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 04:45:13 PM »

I think you'll quickly see that it's an entirely different kind of leather than the seat.  You might want to take the backrest to your local leather alteration shop (to match the leather type) and have them just make you a pad 10 1/2"x6".  It's tapered a little towards the bottom and the bottom two corners are radiused.  So the pad at the bottom is only about 10" wide.   Looks like it should be pretty simple and straight forward for any leather shop worth your business.

For the short period I'd needed a spare (couldn't find the one that came with the backrest--don't ask where it was eventually found) that actually worked perfect.  A leather shop had a material that was a very very good match.  In fact they had an even cheaper vinyl that was visually almost perfect as well.  The whole thing cost $25.00 to get made.

Copper/Black Cvo

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Screaming Eagle Road King
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 10:43:59 PM »

Subscribing to threat........
2008 Screaming Eagle Road King
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.