Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Heat suits  (Read 3081 times)

radonc

Heat suits
« on: January 01, 2008, 10:11:38 PM »

My wife and I took a nice warm ride today even thought the temp. was in the low 40's. Was planning to head to the Blue Ridge Parkway but the forcast was calling for snow. These Gerbing heat suits are really working out nicely. A little combersome to get everthing hooked up, socks, pants, jacket liner, gloves and then the IPODS. Don't want to make a lot of frequent stops once you get all wired up but it sure beats letting the bike sit in the garage till spring!  :huepfenjump3:

EGUC7

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
Re: Heat suits
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 10:46:09 PM »

I use H-D electric jacket and gloves.  Rest of stuff is just good cold weather gear - Red Wing work boots and heavy socks, Cabella's fleece lined wind pants, Aerostich outer jacket, full face helmet, turn the thermostat up to about 8 and I'm comfortable to about 20 degrees.  Just like riding in a toaster oven.  I'd rather ride in warm weather, but if its not, I'd rather ride.

Ride Safe.
Walt

mhjimh

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 09:23:18 AM »

What helmet do you use the one I'm using fogs up real bad if not left open a little especially at stops?

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 10:39:30 AM »

Gerbing makes HD heated clothing,  might try Scott no fog on the inside of your visor helps a lot.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 12:21:33 PM »

Gerbing makes HD heated clothing,  might try Scott no fog on the inside of your visor helps a lot.
On my full face helmet, if I open the vents on the top to let a little cool air in, it also keeps it from fogging up. 

Although, it makes the top of my head colder, so ...........  Or just crack the visor a tiny, tiny bit.

I have to try that no fog stuff.  I know I have bought enough of it over the years.

I am real good at buying solutions, but not so good at applying the same.

:cherry:

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 03:24:43 PM »

As a member of the cold climate fraternity I have  A LOT of first hand experience with full face helmets and fogging.

I'll start with the spray on chemicals out there first. While some may work for awhile I haven't found one yet to not eventually fog up. I tried the stuff you see at the events Zooks? and I proved to the people at the event it DOES fog up.

Next I tried the pin-lock system from Shoie. While it works to a degree it eventually fogs up also. Now the pin-lock system didn't fog, it was in between the two shields that fogged up. I also tried dedicated anti-fog shields. They simply took a minute or two longer before they fogged up.

Now since I also ride ATVs all winter in the snow the fogging really gets to me. One of my riding buddies purchased a Scorpion helmet. My first thought is, what is a Scorpion helmet? It is just a brand name that claims their helmets don't fog, yeah right. After a fall evening of riding my Shoie kept fogging up, his Scorpion didn't . Can't be. Winter rolled around and we were running the roads on the ATVs in one of the snow storms and sure as can be my Shoie not only fogged up it iced up. Not his Scorpion, dam. OK let me try a Scorpion... I picked one up while in Daytona so I could try it on and have it fit for my big head. I am sold, I have yet to fog it up in either the snow, cold or rain. I have a hard time accepting a $250 helmet out performs my $600 Shoie however it does. Since my buds initial purchase of his Scorpion there are now at least a dozen of them running around in town strictly for the anti fog feature. Wanna try one? I'll send you mine to try (No cooties please  ;D).
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

EGUC7

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 09:33:54 PM »

What helmet do you use the one I'm using fogs up real bad if not left open a little especially at stops?

Currently I wear a Caberg cause I love the flip down sunshade.  Rest of the helmet is OK, but it does fog up.  No chemical seems to work, Zooks, S-1, spit, nothin.  Just have to crack open the visor, freeze, then it clears up.  Like Puzzled says, a Scorpion is the only one I ever owned that does NOT fog up.  It just plain does not.  No matter what the weather or temp, it stays clear.  On really bad days I wear the Scorpion, its not as comfortable and I have to wear sunglasses, or put the dark shade on.  It really does work.  No fog.

Ride Safe.
Walt

mhjimh

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 12:02:18 PM »

Whitch modle scorpion do you have, I went to there web sight and they offer a few? I really like the price I hate buying something for big bucks, just to find it doesn't work althow I've never been steered wrong on this site!! I'm asuming it's the electric solidEXO-400 and if so can it be addapted into youre electric suit?
  JIM
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 12:10:16 PM by mhjimh »

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 12:14:15 PM »

I have the 400 series strictly because of my color choice, Orange. :orange:

I would have liked a 700 or a 1000 however I couldn't get one in Orange. I may still get a second one in Black.
2023 CVO Road Glide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 12:16:18 PM »

Check this out, inflatable cheek pads. :2vrolijk_21:
http://www.scorpionusa.com/news/product/20071029.html
2023 CVO Road Glide

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 12:30:06 PM »

We use the Gerbins Heated touring suits, and I use my 3/4 helmet with a built in neck warmer  ;D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 12:31:46 PM by VAZHOG »

EGUC7

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 03:40:55 PM »

I have the EXO700 series, a yellow one.  I have been told by numerous color consultants that is just doesn't go with the Orange and Black Jester.  Hay, what do they know.

Ride Safe.
Walt

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 04:27:19 PM »

We use the Gerbins Heated touring suits, and I use my 3/4 helmet with a built in neck warmer  ;D
Wayne, if your neck warmer gets much longer, you are going to be able to fashion a complete scarf. 

Hee Hee    :D

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 11:16:23 AM »

I'm already doing that, I'm not planning on doing any air travel either  ;D

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 04:33:01 PM »

I have the Gerbin Liner Wear, Gloves and Socks...very nice...

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.