Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: List of riding gear for York PA Trip???  (Read 9096 times)

Copper/Black Cvo

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Screaming Eagle Road King
Re: List of riding gear for York PA Trip???
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 06:42:17 PM »

I guess I'm in need of rain gear...........

Any suggestions or links for buying rain gear.......

Thanks......
2008 Screaming Eagle Road King

Copper/Black Cvo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 07:14:47 PM »

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 07:42:29 PM »

I've got this..   Which is nice because I was able to buy the pants separate from the jacket (different sizes) as opposed to buying the whole suit...

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/mcm_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448769558&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302511643&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302511643&bmUID=1200962424527&bmLocale=en_US
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 08:15:17 PM »

When it rains & you must ride, being dry is important at times.  When its COLD & wet, it's more than important.

I have a set of H/D Pac-Lite Gore-Tex rain gear that is pricey, but it keeps me dry, even when it's wet.  Works great! When it's cold & raining, I NEVER think about the price. Other stuff is out there that will work, undoubtedly, but for the value, I'd choose Gore-Tex or a clone product essentially the same as Gore-Tex.  If it breathes & keeps you dry, you won't regret the investment.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 10:54:19 PM »

I guess I'm in need of rain gear...........

Any suggestions or links for buying rain gear.......

Thanks......

For light showers/local riding look for something small and light like FrogToggs.  For long trips where you never know if you'll opened up on or not get something good.  Aerostich (sic?) or other good brands.  Even the HD branded lines have some good stuff.  This isn't a place to cut corners.  Little is more miserable than 35-40 degrees in the wind and rain and staring to notice your wet from your back to your ass because your gear leaked.

Other thing to keep in mind in the purchase process is try it on.  I've seen some that are all but impossible to get in and out of.  Since this is something that often as not you'll be doing hopping on one leg or sitting on your ass on the side of the road find out how to do and practice it a bit before it's needed.

"Before it's needed" is also the best advice for putting it on.  Watch oncoming traffic.  If it's not raining yet but their wipers are still on you've waited just about long enough.  If not too long.  It's way to easy to not stop and put the gear on. Then all the sudden you're already wet and pulling gear on over wet clothes.  Yuck.

It's a hard thing to learn to do.  But just get the stuff on early.  When it's still easy and you're still dry.  Pull off.  Find something to sit on and don't fight it or have to rush it.  Unless the sky has shown me for sure the rain is over I'm usually in the gear for the day once it's on too.  Might shed the top. But it's not worth the hassle to fight in and out two or three times going in and out of showers all day long.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 11:08:51 PM »

When it rains & you must ride, being dry is important at times.  When its COLD & wet, it's more than important.

I have a set of H/D Pac-Lite Gore-Tex rain gear that is pricey, but it keeps me dry, even when it's wet.  Works great! When it's cold & raining, I NEVER think about the price. Other stuff is out there that will work, undoubtedly, but for the value, I'd choose Gore-Tex or a clone product essentially the same as Gore-Tex.  If it breathes & keeps you dry, you won't regret the investment.

Absolutely, Mike...invest in Gore-Tex stuff or the equivalent thereof...almost always, regardless of brand, this will be the most expensive, but 99% of the time, it will also be put together the most effectively..better stitching, flaps where they need to be to keep the wind/rain out of where it doesn't need to be, etc.  This stuff will be with you for a very LONG time, if you choose well...not a place to cut corners, and it can serve mulitiple purposes.

After many years of backpacking and skiing, I can assure you that this is one of the most important things to choose well, or you'll be doing it more than once, and it will cost you more than doing it right the first time.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 03:00:57 AM »

No doubt ---- ditto the above recommendations.  If you do not have it, get it.  Unless you are not going far from home - carry it.  Don't be a hero ---- if you are going to be out in the elements, changing zip codes, you will ride in the rain. 

We all have horror stories, I'm sure, of riding in some pretty bad stuff.  Sometimes, you just can't sit on the side of the road and wait it out, sometimes you got to move in it.  Do it, but do it as comfortably and safely as you can.  And if you are smart , I don't often have this claim, do as Don suggested.  Put in on before you are pulling rain gear on over wet clothes.  Unless you are an hour from home and this is your destination, riding in wet gear just Sucks - Big Time! 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 06:04:45 AM by Mrs.We »

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 03:11:08 AM »

Bring a tool kit.  Ya never know when you may need it.  AJ has a post somewhere on a tool list.

http://micapeak.com/checklists/

Copper/Black Cvo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 07:07:00 AM »

Thanks Guy & Gales....

That's some Great Info you are passing along from past experiences....

Thanks, again also for the Motorcycle Camping list as well  :2vrolijk_21:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 07:42:53 AM »

Absolutely, Mike...invest in Gore-Tex stuff or the equivalent thereof...almost always, regardless of brand, this will be the most expensive, but 99% of the time, it will also be put together the most effectively..better stitching, flaps where they need to be to keep the wind/rain out of where it doesn't need to be, etc.  This stuff will be with you for a very LONG time, if you choose well...not a place to cut corners, and it can serve mulitiple purposes.

After many years of backpacking and skiing, I can assure you that this is one of the most important things to choose well, or you'll be doing it more than once, and it will cost you more than doing it right the first time.

Terry nobody told me this starting out - if they had it's likely I would not have listened to them when I was in my 20's.  After years of biking, primitive backpacking, hunting, & boating & back to motorcycling, the gear makes a lousy weather day into a tolerable experience or even fun.  As you say, it can serve multiple purposes & even though it's expensive up front, the comfort & service outweighs the expense very quickly. 

Copper Black - I have $700-$800 invested in Gore-Tex rain gear for my wife & I.  Sounds nutty maybe.  If you get Gore-Tex or equivalent, you may find it for a little less, but make sure its seam sealed & as 2LaneRider posted - practice trying it home first & on the road BEFORE it rains.  I'm bad about that myself - riding into the rain & doing the old huh-oh.........

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 09:58:17 AM »

Terry nobody told me this starting out - if they had it's likely I would not have listened to them when I was in my 20's.  After years of biking, primitive backpacking, hunting, & boating & back to motorcycling, the gear makes a lousy weather day into a tolerable experience or even fun.  As you say, it can serve multiple purposes & even though it's expensive up front, the comfort & service outweighs the expense very quickly. 

Copper Black - I have $700-$800 invested in Gore-Tex rain gear for my wife & I.  Sounds nutty maybe.  If you get Gore-Tex or equivalent, you may find it for a little less, but make sure its seam sealed & as 2LaneRider posted - practice trying it home first & on the road BEFORE it rains.  I'm bad about that myself - riding into the rain & doing the old huh-oh.........

That's about what I've got tied up in rain gear...Arc'Terex (sp?) Gore Tex bib type pants w/suspenders...zip all the way down both legs, so easy to get on and off.  They are ski/backpacking pants, so totally seal around the boot and have a heavier piece of material on the inside portion where it goes over the boot for abrasion resisitance, and an inner gaiter to keep the snow/rain from getting up the pant leg (good for forward controls on a bike, but designed for snow).  I have a HD Gore Tex pac lite jacket.  Once the pants get put on for the day, they generally stay on, as they are quite comfortable and do not give you that "clammy" feeling because they are Gore Tex.  On weekends, I often use Bank drive thrus to put the gear on...even small towns have them if you can't find some other covered place to put gear on.  We keep both rain suits in a nice waterproof Outdoor Research stuff sac, and I keep that easily accessible so I can just grab the stuff sack without digging around...on longer trips, when saddlebags are full of clothing/tools, the stuff sack gets bungied on top of the TP so it's literally a couple of seconds to get it off and pull the gear out. 

Ski shops are a good source for this type of gear, and at certain times of year, you can find good sales.  Don't forget some kind of waterproof glove...I have a pair of waterproof/breathable shells that go over my thinner deerskin gloves, or can be worn alone.  I have another pair of canoeing gloves that are like wet suit material...precurved, so they work well with the grips, and have the added benefit of warmth plus waterproofness.

It's an investment up front, but can turn what would othewise be a miserable experience into one that is at least tolerable.  Most of us wear cotton clothing, and once cotton gets wet, it is miserable to stay in for the rest of the day and takes forever to dry.  I like the wicking type t-shirts/long sleeved shirts...no, they don't have HD written all over them, but they keep you cool/warm and dry extremely fast if wet or sweaty.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

kb

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 serk twilight/cobalt blue
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008, 01:07:33 PM »

all you guy's forgot one of the most important things MONEY$$$$$  KB
kb

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 01:22:32 PM »

That's about what I've got tied up in rain gear...Arc'Terex (sp?) Gore Tex bib type pants w/suspenders...zip all the way down both legs, so easy to get on and off.  They are ski/backpacking pants, so totally seal around the boot and have a heavier piece of material on the inside portion where it goes over the boot for abrasion resisitance, and an inner gaiter to keep the snow/rain from getting up the pant leg (good for forward controls on a bike, but designed for snow).  I have a HD Gore Tex pac lite jacket.  Once the pants get put on for the day, they generally stay on, as they are quite comfortable and do not give you that "clammy" feeling because they are Gore Tex.  On weekends, I often use Bank drive thrus to put the gear on...even small towns have them if you can't find some other covered place to put gear on.  We keep both rain suits in a nice waterproof Outdoor Research stuff sac, and I keep that easily accessible so I can just grab the stuff sack without digging around...on longer trips, when saddlebags are full of clothing/tools, the stuff sack gets bungied on top of the TP so it's literally a couple of seconds to get it off and pull the gear out. 

Ski shops are a good source for this type of gear, and at certain times of year, you can find good sales.  Don't forget some kind of waterproof glove...I have a pair of waterproof/breathable shells that go over my thinner deerskin gloves, or can be worn alone.  I have another pair of canoeing gloves that are like wet suit material...precurved, so they work well with the grips, and have the added benefit of warmth plus waterproofness.

It's an investment up front, but can turn what would othewise be a miserable experience into one that is at least tolerable.  Most of us wear cotton clothing, and once cotton gets wet, it is miserable to stay in for the rest of the day and takes forever to dry.  I like the wicking type t-shirts/long sleeved shirts...no, they don't have HD written all over them, but they keep you cool/warm and dry extremely fast if wet or sweaty.

I have some 10X (GoreTex clone) hunting stuff that I considered riding in, but the pants did not have the zipper like the Pac Lites ones do.  I have some of those precurved neoprene canoeing gloves & have ridden in them a couple of times.  Got a gift certificate for HD so bought HD GoreTex gloves with it.  Don't think they sell the style anymore - nylon medium weight.  They have never leaked & hands do not sweat as much on the hot days since GoreTex wicks away moisture.

Good suggestion on non cotton gear, Terry.  For good weather days I usually just wear a t-shirt.  I have thermax Duo-fold long underwear that I have worn skiing, backpacking, camping, duck hunting, riding, etc. forever (15-17 years).  Insulates when wet, wicks moisture & all but not as high tech as the new fibers.  But its comfortable & I like it.  I have some CoolMax t-shirts that are very comfortable, but no logos.

We keep our rain geat in 2 gallon ziplocks bungied shut usually in the Tour Pack on wet looking days.  May go the stuff sack route with these eventually - lord knows I have enough stuff sacks.  :huepfenjump3:

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 01:55:48 PM »

Save a lot of space and get a Gerbins tour ridding suit, It's got heat when you need it and it's water proof and no rain gear is needed, you just keep ridding While everyone else stops and get dressed and the stops again to get undressed  ;D

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2008, 02:17:59 PM »

I hope with everyone talking about rain gear, we WON'T need it.  Better yet, no SNOW.  75 and sunny would be great.  That time of year, many variables.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 21 queries.