Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: List of riding gear for York PA Trip???  (Read 9097 times)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: List of riding gear for York PA Trip???
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2008, 02:19:12 PM »

Sno-mobile riding suits from Columbia Sports wear.  I hear they work good.

Right Now
75° Mostly cloudy 18 mph
Winds E Feels Like: 75°F
West Palm Beach  FL

Copper/Black Cvo

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Screaming Eagle Road King
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2008, 03:13:41 PM »

Just Spoke to Gerbing Customer Service and they stated that

http://www.gerbing.com/Products/Outerwear/heatedJacket.html

is not considered rain gear but it states "Seams sealed for water resistance" is that what I am looking for in Rain Gear :nixweiss:

I would love to just buy one suit that does both.....But does it really work well in the rain  :nixweiss:

I already purchased a Gerbing Jacket/Liner and Gloves that work "GREAT" in the cold...

Any thoughts ???
2008 Screaming Eagle Road King

Copper/Black Cvo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2008, 03:15:05 PM »

Here is the website address for the pants

http://www.gerbing.com/Products/Outerwear/heatedJPants.html

Thanks

Copper/Black Cvo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2008, 03:18:25 PM »

iski

You stated:

Copper Black - I have $700-$800 invested in Gore-Tex rain gear for my wife & I.  Sounds nutty maybe.  If you get Gore-Tex or equivalent, you may find it for a little less, but make sure its seam sealed & as 2LaneRider posted - practice trying it home first & on the road BEFORE it rains.  I'm bad about that myself - riding into the rain & doing the old huh-oh.........

Is this what I am looking for in the description "but make sure its seam sealed & as 2LaneRider posted" :nixweiss:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2008, 03:48:18 PM »

C/B...it says it's urethane coated on the inside with seam sealer...this suit may work well in the colder weather months, but it will not for warmer weather.  It will keep you dry, but because it's urethane coated the moisture from your body will not escape, so you will end up damp under the suit if you wear it for any length of time.

I'm a firm believer in layers.  I do not have any heated gear, but have heated grips and seat.  I have considered a heated vest or jacket liner, but have not gone there yet.  My cold wet "system" is a base layer of wicking underwear, including boxer briefs and t-shirt.  Over that goes wicking (Patagonia, in my case) long john top and bottoms, ski shirt that zips from chest up like a turtleneck, jeans of choice.  If it's really cold, over that goes a Gore windproof layer of fleece on top, heavy leather chaps on bottom, and heavy leather jacket with vest thinsulate zip out liner (all my leather is Fox Creek).  If it rains, I can pull off a layer, and replace it with the Gore-Tex rain gear, which keeps me dry and blocks the wind like the leather.  Depending on the aniticpated weather for the trip, I can leave some at home, or have it all with me, and shed a layer as conditions warrant.

This is my system...a piece of heated gear would take the place of a couple of those.  The fleece windproof jacket is very thin, but serves double duty as a jacket to wear when kicking around the parking lot at night when I get tired of wearing the heavy leather jacket.

Variations of this theme have worked for years when backpacking/skiing.  Layers of comfortable, non absorbing garments enable me to get warmer or cooler, depending on how much I'm exerting myself, generating body heat.  Works for me.

I just think a good Gore-Tex rain suit is a more versitile option, all things considered...otherwise you'll need something for hot weather rains, in addition to the cold weather suit.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Copper/Black Cvo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2008, 05:41:19 PM »

OK....

RainGear that is made from Gortex is the material I am looking for....

Please suggest a Website or Brand of Jacket with Pants that I should go out and purchase....

I want to stay dry in both Cold and Warm weather...

I will be using the Rain Gear exclusive for Riding...

Thanks everyone for all your input... :2vrolijk_21:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2008, 05:54:24 PM »

Didn't see where anyone mentioned the FXRG High Performance Gear by H-D, and was wondering if anybody is using it and what their thoughts were on this gear. It's somewhat expensive but for someone that is doing initial outfitting of rain/cold weather gear would this be worth it. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2008, 06:35:16 PM »

Didn't see where anyone mentioned the FXRG High Performance Gear by H-D, and was wondering if anybody is using it and what their thoughts were on this gear. It's somewhat expensive but for someone that is doing initial outfitting of rain/cold weather gear would this be worth it. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Gary...the FXRG gear is very nice...the pants are leather, and are lined with a Gore-Tex material to keep you dry as well.  The Jacket, on the other hand, does not have the Gore-Tex for some reason.  Suzanne has both pieces (got them off e-bay) and they are very nice.  Only problem is you've still got the warm weather issue, as the FXRG stuff is pretty heavy duty.  I like the Gore-Tex rain gear because you can throw it on over your t-shirt in the summer and not feel like you're in a Sauna, like with the coated materials in the less expensive stuff.

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2008, 06:41:25 PM »

OK....

RainGear that is made from Gortex is the material I am looking for....

Please suggest a Website or Brand of Jacket with Pants that I should go out and purchase....

I want to stay dry in both Cold and Warm weather...

I will be using the Rain Gear exclusive for Riding...

Thanks everyone for all your input... :2vrolijk_21:

C/B...check out these from HD:  http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/mcm_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448765996&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302511643&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302511643&bmUID=1201044965870&bmLocale=en_US

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/mcm_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448765999&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302511643&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302511643&bmUID=1201045114854&bmLocale=en_US

Believe me, this stuff is about as cheap as you'll find quality rain gear like we've been talking about.  Go to a local store to try it on and get your sizes, and if they won't offer you 20% off, call Jenni at Charlie's HD in West Virginia, and she'll get it for you at 20% off.

I have the jacket, but not the pants...only reason is I already have a pair of pants that are as good or better, though they are slightly less packable...take up just a little more space, but not enough more to make me spend the money for something that functions exactly the same.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 06:43:50 PM by TCnBham »

TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2008, 06:42:55 PM »

Gary...the FXRG gear is very nice...the pants are leather, and are lined with a Gore-Tex material to keep you dry as well.  The Jacket, on the other hand, does not have the Gore-Tex for some reason.  Suzanne has both pieces (got them off e-bay) and they are very nice.  Only problem is you've still got the warm weather issue, as the FXRG stuff is pretty heavy duty.  I like the Gore-Tex rain gear because you can throw it on over your t-shirt in the summer and not feel like you're in a Sauna, like with the coated materials in the less expensive stuff.
Ok, sounds like it's better for cold and wet rather then warm and wet (the second half of that statement could end up going so many places :nervous: ;) ;D).

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2008, 06:45:03 PM »

Ok, sounds like it's better for cold and wet rather then warm and wet (the second half of that statement could end up going so many places :nervous: ;) ;D).

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Not going there, Gary...wouldn't be prudent at this juncture... ;D ;)

TTS Mastertune

Copper/Black Cvo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2008, 07:32:35 PM »

TcnBHam,

Thanks for the Website address & info on the Rain Gear....

Will be going to my local HD Dealer to try them on...

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2008, 08:00:03 PM »

TcnBHam,

Thanks for the Website address & info on the Rain Gear....

Will be going to my local HD Dealer to try them on...

C/B...I don't know what size you wear, but this is a hell of a buy if you are a 44 or 46 waist  http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/380,14745_Lowe-Alpine-Huck-Pants-Gore-Tex-Waterproof-For-Men.html

And here's one jacket from the same place...another great deal  http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/208,44798_Lowe-Alpine-Grepon-Jacket-Waterproof-Gore-Tex-PacLite-For-Men.html

I have bought a lot of stuff from this company over the years...a lot of their things are top the line outdoor stuff.  I buy all my socks, underwear, long johns, some of my gloves, etc from this place.

I'm probably just confusing you at this point, but if you can find something you like, Sierra Trading Post is a great place!!

I like to ride, summer and winter, in lightweight ski socks...they stay up above your calf, wick moisture away from your foot, keeping your feet dry...cooler in summer, warmer in winter.  This is also a great source for long johns, shirts, etc...whatever is good for skiing/backpacking is generally good on the bike as well.

TTS Mastertune

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2008, 08:23:38 PM »

Cooper/Black - Terry gave you the links for the H/D GoreTex Pac Lite Rain Gear already.  It's what I am using & it works well in warm weather since it is not lined & it wicks perspiration away.  For cold weather, make sure you get rain gear that is big enough to go over a jacket since the pac lite stuff is not warm enough to wear by itself in 50 degree rain. Pac Lite compresses into a reasonably small area - some of the other Gore Tex stuff is kinda bulky.  I prefer lighter weight & then layer up as needed.  The H/D version has some reflective material on the outside.  Other Pac Lite is available (non HD) & you may find some deals on it.  That Sierra Trading Post (also linked above)is a GREAT company.  Had the pleasure of visiting them in person on our bike trip to Cody, WY a while ago.

BTW - TCnBham is one of the very best sources for info on this board - or anywhere for that matter on motorcycle stuff.  :2vrolijk_21: 

Years ago when I was broke, a regular black trash bag with a couple of arm holes ripped in it was my rain gear.  Did not do much for arms/legs & it leaked of course but in a pinch, its better than nothing.  Now I'm broke from buying all this spiffy gear, but I'm more comfortable, dammit.   ;D

D00d - I considered FXRG gear & have not ruled it out for a future purchase.  Watching H/D's revisions on it to see if it gets closer to what I am looking for.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2008, 08:37:59 PM »

I guess I'm in need of rain gear...........

Any suggestions or links for buying rain gear.......

Thanks......

for those of you that are not weathy, I chose a very inexpensive suit $27.00  pants and jacket
do not loose anything if engine or exhaust pipe melts and it has not let me down (I bought 3 suits)
www.jafrum.com
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.