Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Hot Weather Riding Gear---2008  (Read 12303 times)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Hot Weather Riding Gear---2008
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 11:47:39 PM »

Leve it to the MoFo........ur I mean the MoCo to bring something that has a short life.......50 rides, well, a buck a ride for an hour of comfort.......Dunno!

JMO

_Beags

Well, at 4400 miles when my motor started spewing oil out the rear cylinder, I'm sure I didn't have 50 rides on her... :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

jwygo

• JWYGO
  • Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 105th
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 02:04:37 AM »

Cortech by Tourmaster make the best gear I've found in all my years of biking. 
Summer gloves:  Cortech DX:  full mesh, some armor and cool look.  http://www.newenough.com/gloves/street_short_cuff/cortech_by_tour_master/dx_motorcycle_gloves.html
I also have a pair of the GX but don't wear them as much as the DX.

I've used the Cortech Flex jacket for 3 years (http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/convertible_textile_mesh_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/flex_series_2_textile_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html).  3 weeks ago on a trip to Yellowstone and the Tetons I used it in 30 degree rain and snow and 50 mph gusts with the included waterproof liner and my heated liner.  Perfect.  The next day I used the jacket every way it was designed for.  At 6 am in Rawlins, WY it was 35 degrees and rainy.  By the time I got to Cheyenne it was 60 degrees and sunny so I took off the rain liner.  By the time I got to Ogallala, NE it was 85 and sunny so I unzipped/removed the panels, turning it into a full mesh jacket for the rest of the day.  It also has back, shoulder and elbow armor.  Last year I used the mesh option in 105 heat in southern Kansas.  I was amazed at how comfortable I was with the sun not beating directly on me but the air still flowing around my under armour tee shirt.  For under $200 it's the best deal going.  See www.newenough.com 

My Shoei X-11 full face has the best venting I've ever felt.  Todd at www.helmetharbor.com in Phoenix recommends it as the best venting full face around.  You should go to his web site and watch his video reviews of various helmets.  Terrific. 

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Black and Gray 08
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 03:14:59 PM »

I'm glad these questions were asked and answered. I just moved to El Paso, Tx and holy cow is it hot. I am definitly in the mood for some summer gear. I will have to take a closer look at the HD vest and see what it has to offer.

The only I can suggest right now is a white long sleeve shirt, half helmet and judge the lights. That way you don't have to stop as much.  Don't get me wrong TX has a lot of riding opportunities. Well enjoy them later once house hold goods are delivered. Brought the basics to ride.
Life time member VFW 7450 San Diego! Love your freedom, Thank a Vet!

Sean M Cary

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 03:58:03 PM »

I'm glad these questions were asked and answered. I just moved to El Paso, Tx and holy cow is it hot. I am definitly in the mood for some summer gear. I will have to take a closer look at the HD vest and see what it has to offer.

The only I can suggest right now is a white long sleeve shirt, half helmet and judge the lights. That way you don't have to stop as much.  Don't get me wrong TX has a lot of riding opportunities. Well enjoy them later once house hold goods are delivered. Brought the basics to ride.

Anyone shut off their bike at long lights?  I have heard of folks doing it.  I sit and watch the oil temp...and worry.   :jack:

Sean

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 04:29:08 PM »

Hey Sean,

Not at long lights, but at construction zones when the flagger holds a lane for a few minutes I do.  I basically shut it down any time I feel I'm likely to be sitting for more then a couple of minutes, but none of our lights are that long around here.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 04:45:54 PM »

I have to shut mine down at most long lights, RR crossings & draw bridges (we got alot of 'em)

Yesterday, with ambient heat of 94, got stuck at 2 trains, 1 draw bridge & bad traffic.
Even shutting her down, oil temp stayed about 240...
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 10:00:25 PM »

I try never ever to be beside one of my friends with 110's in July or August at a red light. I'm glad you mentioned this as I will tell them to turn theirs off to keep from cooking everything within 30 feet. :2vrolijk_21:

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2008, 08:29:41 PM »

104.6 (in the shade)  in Beagle's back yard this afternoon. I think we need whatever there is on this thread

B B

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 08:39:43 PM »

Anyone shut off their bike at long lights?  I have heard of folks doing it.  I sit and watch the oil temp...and worry.   
Sean

I just hit the kill switch, not the ignition.

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Black and Gray 08
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2008, 10:57:48 AM »

good question Florida Marine,
All my years of riding especially stationed in HI, I never had to be concerned about turning off the bike due to heat. Now that I am in TX, guess I better pay more attention to my surroundings.
Life time member VFW 7450 San Diego! Love your freedom, Thank a Vet!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2008, 11:21:55 AM »

I try never ever to be beside one of my friends with 110's in July or August at a red light. I'm glad you mentioned this as I will tell them to turn theirs off to keep from cooking everything within 30 feet. :2vrolijk_21:

Mark,
          Have you noticed how cool Elvis always is ?  8)

B B

Sean M Cary

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2008, 01:01:47 PM »

I just hit the kill switch, not the ignition.

Uh, yeah...  Bout two weeks ago I lost cool points at an intersection after I changed the alarm to arm after 30 seconds.  I turned off the ignition to turn the headlight off. 

I had turned it off at a REALLY long light here since it was 100+ out and just as the light turned green, "chirp, chirp" - DOH! 

Of course my keys were in my pockets and I had gloves on - and I am moving fast to get the bike started so it was harder then it should have been.

Felt like a jackass - made the light and had nobody behind me...but definite loss of CP's.

Oh well.

Sean

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008, 12:52:57 PM »

A coolmax long sleeve white shirt , prevents dehydration and sunburn . Learned the tip from a Sgt rinding buddy that did a few tours in Iraq

http://coolmaxclothing.com/longsleeve.html

The link seems to be bad. Can you try to repost it?
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2008, 05:56:24 PM »

went today and got a sampler pk of under armour. a few boxer shorts, several long sleeve loose fit tees. a few short sleeve loose fit tees, and i don't know what i was thinking but i got a few compression fit tees. :nervous: 20yrs ago it'd been good. oh well.

TN

Wut the hell was that maneuver

Sean M Cary

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2008, 06:29:38 PM »

went today and got a sampler pk of under armour. a few boxer shorts, several long sleeve loose fit tees. a few short sleeve loose fit tees, and i don't know what i was thinking but i got a few compression fit tees. :nervous: 20yrs ago it'd been good. oh well.

TN

I have Under Armor T-shirts and skivvies...its all good to 130 in Iraq/Kuwait.  I am in pretty decent shape, work out 6 days a week - I don't wear the compression stuff. :nervous:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.