Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Chit Happens! Time to Get Creative!!!  (Read 7251 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Chit Happens! Time to Get Creative!!!
« on: April 22, 2007, 09:24:00 PM »

Hey gang. Had a fantastic time in York and the area until the ride home. I didn't make it to Harrisburg from York when I heard a bad noise. I finally got off the highway to find the whole left side of the bike covered in a film of oil. So was my left leg and boot. Saw smoke puffing out of the left side case. Low and behold, I blew out the timing plug. On an Evo, there is a plug to access the left side flywheel, where the timing marks are. I called Don to ask some technical advice about oil pressure and oil passages down there. He told me it should only be crankcase pressure. Obviously, I needed to something, as I couldn't go 200 miles with the oil blowing out of the left side of the engine.

At that point, a local asked if he could do anything to help. I called the 2 HD dealers in the area. One was Appalachian, the other was Susquehanna. The reason I mention that is that both tried to be very helpful. Either would have come and gotten me. And one offered to bring the part and tools to try to get me going. But our good Samaritan friend, Ray, went to Susquehanna and picked up a timing plug and some oil. Sounds like we'll be back in business and good to go! WRONG!!!

We went to install the new timing plug, and lo and behold, it was too small for the opening! WTF!!! I've only owned this bike a little over 10 years. There must have been a previous problem there and the hole is oversized. Dead in the water? Not so fast. I thought about the info Don gave me, and Ray went to a hardware store to bring back various plumbing fittings. I was determined to get this bitch home tonight! One of the fittings he got was a Nylon 3/8" MPT x 1/4" barbed fitting. It would not thread, so I got it lined up in the hole, put a deep socket over the Nylon fitting, and drove it into the hole with a hammer. Jammed it in there good. No chance of damage, as it's soft Nylon. The I took some clear 1/4" hose and ran it from the fitting, along the clutch cable, and up to the handlebars. I zip tied it to the fitting and the clutch cable. I had just crated a new crancase breather! It looked like a real Rube Goldberg! It's too dark, but I'll show some pics tomorrow of what I did. I filled the oil tank back up and started the bike. We all had our fingers crossed. The bike fired up and the fitting held. I let it warm up and then started revving the engine. It's still holding up. I'm going for it! I packed up my chit and hit the road.

Now you have to understand that there's only crankcase pressure under the cylinders. But you can't just leave it open. The flywheels were slinging the oil out of the hole. It wasn't being blown out. So by leaving the plug open, and running the hose 2 feet above the hole, there was no chance of losing oil. And the opening would prevent any crankcase pressure from building up and blowing the fitting out. I could only hope that vibration or thermal expansion wouldn't foil my plan. I took off!

I ran about 65-70 MPH to avoid getting run over, but didn't want to risk my usual faster pace. I rode about 90 miles, leaning down to left side of the case, what now seems like every minute to check on it. Could it be holding? Damn straight it was holding. I shoved a burger down my throat, filled the bike up with gas, and proceeded on. That was at the PA/NJ border. Only 90 miles left. I got back on the road and continued checking, but everything was still holding up fine. I got about 10 miles from the George Washington Bridge and a wall of traffic. F that! My bike's broke and I'm taking her home!!! Splitting lanes and riding on the shoulder all the way to the Toll Booths. Then splitting lanes the entire length of the bridge. No traffic for me. I was on a mission! Got to the other side and got off and took alternate route back into Queens. I think the entire country knows to stay off the Cross Bronx Expressway! I took the Deagan to the Triboro Bridge and was in Queens now! 15 minutes more. Stayed on the Grand Central, past Shea Stadium and made it home. What a relief! Desparate times call for desperate measures. It was time to get creative!!! And my perseverance paid off! My baby got me home after I gave her a little love!!! She's broken chit before, but has NEVER left me stranded!!! I love my Wide Glide. Should I blame this on MoCo too? If I had my SERK, I would have been on that bike. FTF!!!!!!!

Now I need to thank a few people. First, thanks Don for helping me keep my head on straight and give me some technical input and ideas. I actually expanded on one of your ideas as the Bandaid to get me home. Thanks to Hoody, who offered to come from Gettysburg with a trailer and bring the bike back to his house and put me up. Thanks to the 2 HD dealers that weren't going to leave my bike stranded on the road. But most of all, thanks to Ray, a total stranger, who took three hours out of his afternoon to help me until I was good to go! He even offered to store the bike and let me stay at his house. Not a CVOHarley brother. Not an HD rider at all. He was in a pick up truck. He went home and got his Kawasaki, and ran around until we got something to work!!! That is one stand up MoFo!!! I hope he visits me in NYC like I asked him to. I owe him a night on the town.

As it turned out, it's now just another story for the Hoist Motorcycle Diaries! And it had a happy ending. At least for now. I still have to figure out what to do with that oversize hole. But it's home safe and sound. And so am I! That's what really mattered today.

So like I said, Chit Happens! You can't panic and must get as creative as necessary when you're on the road. With the help of some good people and some ingenuity, I made it home! And it feels great knowing my bike got me there!!!

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Chit Happens! Time to Get Creative!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 09:37:57 PM »

Great story, glad it all worked out and you made it home safely!

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 09:38:19 PM »

Great reading and heads up for all those who either offered or actually helped. :2vrolijk_21:
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 09:41:47 PM »

Howie,
Glad to see you made it home safely. :2vrolijk_21: You sure know how to make a trip exciting. :o

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 10:15:47 PM »

Even though the day was frustrating while it was going on you still got in by dark:30 and it's a day with a good story and a good samaritan.  All that punctuating a great long weekend trip with good friends has to have a guy feeling pretty good as he stretches at home with a beer when it's all done.  So glad you got in ok.  Pat the bike on the rear fender and tell it "good girl" for doing it's part.  It did all you needed it to today  :2vrolijk_21: .

Tros

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 12:22:49 AM »

Glad you got home OK. Now you'll just have to get a chrome plug.  ;)

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 05:54:44 AM »

Great story glad you made it safe.I lived in the area for 5 years and details about the way you went home made me remember good days I had while i was there.Its been little over 3 years since i went back to states.Hmm i guess i miss my old home.Hey Howie thanks for bringing back memories. :drink:
Ridin Legend

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 08:15:49 AM »

Howie,

Sounds like some real REDNECK engineering. Are you going to get the RK road ready in time for the pickup ride?
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 08:45:43 AM »

Howie,

Sounds like some real REDNECK engineering. Are you going to get the RK road ready in time for the pickup ride?

If you want Redneck engineering check out

www.redneckengineering.com

Take a look at the undresser!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 09:44:16 AM »

Howie, good to see you made it home with a bit of cage dodgin' throwin' in too.  Sorry you had the snafu, but certainly great that you got it patched and home.  Rog

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 10:30:49 AM »

Super impressed with the ingenuity and the perseverance to get the bike back on the road and home.  What a great story, we'll ignore the inconvenience you endured to have the story to tell.  Thanks for sharing. So sorry we missed you this weekend.  I can actually stand today, not for long and can't walk without a little bit of help, but should be strong when you pass through this area in a few weeks.  Hope we can hook up.   :bananarock: :cherry:

twincam

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 10:55:19 AM »

GLAD TO HERE EVERYTHING WORKED OUT FOR YOU BRO!!!!!!!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 11:28:21 AM »

Thanks for the kind words everyone! You sometimes have to be able to look past the normal repair methods, when you break down on the road. You have to think outside the box. I was ready to get a piece of wood and whittle it down, and beat it into the hole. It works on whiskey barrels, so why not on an engine! That would have been real Redneck engineering! Short of blowing up, when something breaks, and the normal fix doesn't work, do what it takes to get it done, and get back on the road! I'm not keen on leaving my bikes out of town for a stranger to fix.

Chip, my friend is an RE dealer, but they're not for me. If I did any other bike right now it, it would be a Rucker.

Candy, I'm glad everything went well, and you're making progress. Hopefully I'll get to meet you guys next month. I hope you'll be up to do a little riding with us. If not, maybe you guys can stop by and meet the group.

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 11:39:03 AM »

Howie,
Somehow, I don't think I would have expected anything less from you!  Sorry to hear about the problems, but glad you made it home safe and sound.  It's really interesting how nice folks can turn up at the most opportune time.
Hope to see you soon friend,
Tony

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 11:58:11 AM »

Howie,
Somehow, I don't think I would have expected anything less from you!  Sorry to hear about the problems, but glad you made it home safe and sound.  It's really interesting how nice folks can turn up at the most opportune time.
Hope to see you soon friend,
Tony

Thanks Tony. Man you've been going thru your own form of hell these days. We missed you in York, but hopefully we'll get to see you next month. I hope you have a speedy full recovery from the ordeal last week, and get to ride that shiny new bike of yours. If you're not up to riding by 5/12, pleas try to meet us for dinner in Front Royal that evening. Feel better Tony! :2vrolijk_21: Hoist! 8)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 20 queries.