Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cager hits 3 Harley's in Wiscosnin  (Read 1889 times)

WI George

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Cager hits 3 Harley's in Wiscosnin
« on: July 16, 2007, 08:56:35 AM »

Sad to report this story:

http://www.channel3000.com/news/13685564/detail.html

but what surpised me most was the statement from the Sheriff's dept. "He said that he doesn't expect criminal charges to be brought against the driver."  No charges for running down 3 bikes by swerving into their lane of traffic!  I can't understand this theory at all.

WI George

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Cager hits 3 Harley's in Wiscosnin
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 09:43:57 AM »

Hi WI George,
I just read the article, so sad that something like that happend. I hope the bikers will be OK.
I am not sure about the laws in that state but in many states there is a difference in "Criminal charges" and "traffic code offenses" issued during a traffic accident investigation. Most of the time on serious accidents they will wait for medical reports on the offending driver and the victims before charging, many times the decision is made by a prosecuting attorney not the officer or trooper especially if there is a death involved.They may delay charges some to see if the victim is going to die so they don't charge the suspect with a lesser charge and after that conviction the victim passes because they can't try the person twice.
Generally they will not charge someone with a criminal charge if they had an "Unknown medical condition" that was not foreseen. If they acted negligently though they could be charged with manslaughter if someone dies.
That all being said, that doesn't mean that the person won't go to court for the accident. It may just mean that the prosecutor feels that nothing criminal happened and it falls under the traffic violation guidelines and the person can be charged with a violation later and taken to traffic court to answer for what they did or failed to do properly. If no one dies it may fall under reckless driving which may not be a criminal charge in that state.
There is also civil court actions that can be taken by the victims to attempt compensation too.
I understand your frustration and it is a shame that it happend. My thoughts and prayers go out to those involved.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 01:35:29 PM »

Damn, hate to hear these senseless accidents.

"Authoritites said that when the car finally came to a stop, it was in the middle of the road with a motorcycle imbedded in the front bumper."  And that none of them were wearing helmets.

I know it's not a helmet state and I've ridden up there without one, but that was 5 years ago. I just won't ride without a helmet anymore.

I hope the riders all pull through OK and that the law does do whatever is necessary to the driver involved. Tragedy.
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 05:21:52 PM »

First off, best wishes for the VICTEMS of this crime. Second, no charges, what a load of crap. Lastly, was the lady in the car wearing a seat belt? Right, who fickin cares. Little microcosm of the way it is. Hope the bikers fully recover and the hell w/ cage driver. :soapbox:

bigdog257

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 08:03:34 PM »

This is why I'm a member of Abate. Our representative is fighting to get stiffer penalties for cagers that hit/kill bikers. In Florida it's not uncommon to be given an 85.00 ticket for doing this and that's not right.

Bigdog

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 09:09:45 PM »

Another bad ending for us bikers.

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 09:33:23 PM »

A tragedy to hear this, hopefully the state will act, as VAEAGLE, stated. Regardless, thoughts and prayers to our fellow bikers.

Rides2007Harley

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 07:42:01 PM »

They are still not sure what caused her to cross the center line.  I ride that same area all the time and you sure wouldn't expect a car in your lane.

It looks like they are all going to make it but were hurt badly.

http://www.gazetteextra.com/accident071707.asp
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 08:20:00 PM by Rides2007Harley »

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 21 queries.