Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: The Dragon Strikes Again  (Read 8114 times)

harleync

• 2010 Street Glide
  • Senior CVO Member
Re: The Dragon Strikes Again
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2007, 08:19:04 AM »

I AM HEADING TOO THE MTNS ON SUNDAY..IVE BEEN THINKING OF STAYING AWAY FROM THE DRAGON BECAUSE OF NOT HAVING A DOT HELMENT..WITH THE COPS PULLING EVERYONE FOR NO REASON...ANYONE RIDE THE DRAGON IN THE LAST FEW MONTHS WITH A NON DOT HELMENT?
THANKS AND BE SAFE MICHAEL

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2007, 08:52:05 AM »

I AM HEADING TOO THE MTNS ON SUNDAY..IVE BEEN THINKING OF STAYING AWAY FROM THE DRAGON BECAUSE OF NOT HAVING A DOT HELMENT..WITH THE COPS PULLING EVERYONE FOR NO REASON...ANYONE RIDE THE DRAGON IN THE LAST FEW MONTHS WITH A NON DOT HELMENT?
THANKS AND BE SAFE MICHAEL

I have read reports of them writing tickets for non DOT helmets.  It's fairly easy to spot a non DOT...they are supposed to stay up there in force until the end of this month.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2007, 08:54:36 AM »

if you are going to wear a helmet, it may as well be a DOT. Mine is the Daytona brand, DOT and not much bigger then the novelty helmets. Noticeably different in size to a HD DOT helmet, but smaller and more comfortable due to less drag and weight.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2007, 09:02:09 AM »

Yep, In North Carolina, they just revisited the helmet law with some new wording or something and now a few law enforcement types (like in Randolph County) are once again writing tickets for non-approved headgear.  Last time this happened across this State was in the early 70's.  Also, heard that some were going beyond the 'ticket' phase and impounding the bike if you didn't have access to 'approved' gear to move the vehicle.  May be just a rumor, you know how these things go......but it is a new day riding in NC, at least for now.  Stay tuned.  :-\  har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2007, 11:02:53 AM »

I think if you ride within the legal speed limit, stay in your lane you will have no problems.

MV 2013

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2007, 03:16:55 PM »

I think if you ride within the legal speed limit, stay in your lane you will have no problems.

Not so!  I've been up there twice this summer.  Talked to two guys who were pulled over and ticketed for non DOT helmets and one also got a ticket for no proof of insurance (he had an expired insurance card).  No ticket for speeding or wreckless driving.

My son was also up there with about ten members of the MC club that he's in (Dragoneze) and three were ticiketed for their license plate not being displayed properly (mounted inside the rear fender in front of and above the tire).

During our two trips we made six passes thru the gap and saw no less than four TN LEO's each pass, usually more than that.  One trip we counted eight.

Seems like it's the TN LEO's that are writing the tickets.  Don't remember seeing any from NC. 

So, if you go, go legal!

:2vrolijk_21:

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2007, 03:34:34 PM »

There are ton of roads every bit as good as the Dragon in the Blue Ridge Mtns.......w/o the traffic and other hassles.  That's the 'ticket' to avoid the ticket.  ;D har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

harleync

• 2010 Street Glide
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2007, 03:49:21 PM »

THIS YEAR I AM STAYING AWAY FROM THE DRAGON...HEADING TOO BLOWING ROCK AND SURROUNDING AREA ON THE PARKWAY..KEEPING THE NON DOT HELMENT  FOR NOW UNTIL I FIND A DOT ONE TO BUY...I DID FIND OUT THAT THE ACC HELMENT WILL NOT PASS IN NC IN 2008. EVEN IF A COP PULLS YOU OVER WITH THE ACC HELMENT ON (BECAUSE ITS LOW PROFILE AND SMALL). AND LETS YOU GO BECAUSE IT IS DOT...I DONT WANT THE HASTLE. I WOULD RATHER FIND A GOOD LOW PROFILE HELMENT THAT DOESNT ATTRACT ATTENTION..WE GET ENOUGH ATTENTION AS IT IS..

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2007, 10:33:30 AM »

Talked to two guys who were pulled over and ticketed for non DOT helmets and one also got a ticket for no proof of insurance (he had an expired insurance card).  No ticket for speeding or wreck less driving.

They were pulled over because the LEO saw they were not wearing DOT helmets and one had no insurance? The LEO's were actually able to see the lack of a DOT sticker or were the helmets obviously just a plastic lid?

I don't belive in helmet laws, and I do belive in letting those who ride decide. But, if I have to wear one at least it will be approved and offer some protection.

Or were they pulled over for something else and go "non-point" tickets instead of something that would affect their license at home?

New Jersey is a reciprocating state, as are many others. Get a moving violation outside of New Jersey and you will see insurance surcharges of approximately $3000 - $3500 over the next 3.5 years.

MV 2013

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2007, 11:46:16 AM »

They were pulled over because the LEO saw they were not wearing DOT helmets and one had no insurance? The LEO's were actually able to see the lack of a DOT sticker or were the helmets obviously just a plastic lid?

I don't believe in helmet laws, and I do believe in letting those who ride decide. But, if I have to wear one at least it will be approved and offer some protection.

Or were they pulled over for something else and go "non-point" tickets instead of something that would affect their license at home?

New Jersey is a reciprocating state, as are many others. Get a moving violation outside of New Jersey and you will see insurance surcharges of approximately $3000 - $3500 over the next 3.5 years.

Yes!

I've got a few years on me and my eye sight isn't the best, but, I can see well enough to see a DOT sticker while riding behind another bike.
 :rolleyes3: :stare: :disguise: :stunned: :inquisitive: :freak: :uhoh2: :rolleyes3:

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

harleydiva

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2007, 07:05:14 PM »

There are ton of roads every bit as good as the Dragon in the Blue Ridge Mtns.......w/o the traffic and other hassles.  That's the 'ticket' to avoid the ticket.  ;D har!  :drink: spyder

Love the Dragon, but you're absolutely right Spdy!   :)

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2007, 06:02:18 PM »

The THP has left the Drogon.
   Well almost.
  I was up there playing today and it was great. Only one THP and he was just hanging around to chase the crotch rockets and I only saw about 5 of them. The rest of the bikes were mostly Harleys. I had almost forgotten what it was like to ride the old road with out the ZIP AND SPATS running up my butt and coming at me  head on in my lane.

I saw a BANNANA CVO up there today. Some dude with yellow sunglasses from Michigan.  :bananarock: Welcome to Tennessee. :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 21 queries.