Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When the sign says "Stay In Your Lane"---- STAY IN YOUR LANE!!!  (Read 2748 times)

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110

Last Saturday a few of my friends who went to Maggie Valley NC were heading home east bound on I-40.  They were in a construction zone where the road was being repaved.  One lane had been paved, the other ground down waiting on new asphalt.  The new asphalt was about four inches higher than the old.  There were several signs warning not to change lanes.  Mike, who was leading the group, was on a Boss Hoss.  They were running about 70 on the old asphalt and came up on a slow car.  Mike decided to pass.  Bob, who was directly behind Mike, said that Mikes front tire crossed the lane with no problem, but, the rear (which is a car tire) hung on the new asphalt.  This got the bike side ways and Mike high sided.  This section of I-40 has a concrete barrier as the median and is a steep down hill grade.  Bob said Mike and the bike both were tumbling down the interstate with the bike only a few feet behind Mike.  Mike and the bike hit the barrier several times with the bike almost going over the five foot barrier.

Mike was wearing jeans, a light jacket, a non DOT helmet and no gloves.  Believe it or not, his only injuries was road rash to his hands and upper body along with two black eyes and a few small cuts to his face! 

The bike didn't do as well.  Totalled.  Bob said as the bike tumbled, there was a steady trail of parts flying off!  It even ripped the foot peg bosses out of the frame.

There was another larger group of bikes that stopped and cleared the bike and all the loose parts out of the traffic lanes.

The moral of the story is if the sign says "stay in your lame"  STAY IN YOUR LANE!       
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 03:53:04 PM by 07hd110 »

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
Re: When the sign says "Stay In Your Lane"---- STAY IN YOUR LANE!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 03:17:05 PM »

Last Friday a few of my friends who went to Maggie Valley NC were heading home east bound on I-40.  They were in a construction zone where the road was being repaved.  One lane had been paved, the other ground down waiting on new asphalt.  The new asphalt was about four inches higher than the old.  There were several signs warning not to change lanes.  Mike, who was leading the group, was on a Boss Hoss.  They were running about 70 on the old asphalt and came up on a slow car.  Mike decided to pass.  Bob, who was directly behind Mike, said that Mikes front tire crossed the lane with no problem, but, the rear (which is a car tire) hung on the new asphalt.  This got the bike side ways and Mike high sided.  This section of I-40 has a concrete barrier as the median and is a steep down hill grade.  Bob said Mike and the bike both were tumbling down the interstate with the bike only a few feet behind Mike.  Mike and the bike hit the barrier several times with the bike almost going over the five foot barrier.

Mike was wearing jeans, a light jacket, a non DOT helmet and no gloves.  Believe it or not, his only injuries was road rash to his hands and upper body along with two black eyes and a few small cuts to his face! 

The bike didn't do as well.  Totalled.  Bob said as the bike tumbled, there was a steady trail of parts flying off!  It even ripped the foot peg bosses out of the frame.

There was another larger group of bikes that stopped and cleared the bike and all the loose parts out of the traffic lanes.

The moral of the story is if the sign says "stay in your lame"  STAY IN YOUR LANE!       
Holy crap. Glad Mike is O.K. Thanks for the lesson  :2vrolijk_21:

Howie

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 03:20:53 PM »

Now I guess you have to actually follow the sign, and they aren't just suggestions.
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 03:32:32 PM »

Tommy,
Sorry to hear of this, but glad Mike came out w/limited injuries. Thanks for the reminder.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

megavolt17

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 08:23:46 PM »

Wow, amazing the injuries were not much worse.  Must have a guardian angel, or a lot of luck.

A similar issue (although much slower) can happen inside a covered bridge.  I took a 90 degree right turn with a passenger into a beautiful covered bridge.  It was 1 lane so I stayed in the center.  About half way through my eyes adjusted so I could see that in the center I was on wood running across the bridge.  It was uneven and seemed a bit rotted in places (I could see light out the bottom of the bridge in places). The areas where a car tire would have been was at least 4 inches higher with lumber running lengthwise to the bridge.   I had about 14 inches in the center and a certain spill if I drifted to either side.  I came back a different route.
Megavolt17

2008 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide (FLHTCUSE3)
105th Anniversary Crystal Copper and Black Onyx
HD High Intensity Discharge (HID) Dual Bulb Headlamp
HD Illuminated LED Windshield Molding Kit
HD Air Wing Tour-Pak Luggage Rack with Smoked Lens LED Rack Light
Küryakyn Panacea Blue Dot Smoked LED Taillights and Turn Signals
"Roll Your Own" SE Air Cleaner
SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers
SE Race Tuner
Traxxion AK-20 cartridges
Bitubo HD 300mm shocks

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 07:40:07 AM »

Guess some will never learn that construction zones are very dangerous places. Loose rocks, holes, equipment, people, fast cars, slow trucks, all things that can eff you up. That's one place I make sure I've got lots of space between me and the other traffic. Glad your bud's hide is mostly intact.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 08:13:33 AM »

This will probably not be a popular response but it's the way I see it in this situation.

Here's part of Tommy's post,

but, the rear (which is a car tire) hung on the new asphalt.

I agree with everyone that construction zones are dangerous but also think we sometimes have to hold ourselves responsible when things happen. The guy was riding a custom bike with a car tire on the rear. A big tire that will not climb a step up in pavement. Big tires handle different than regular bike tires and you have to allow for it. Yes it was a construction zone but I think rider inexperience also contributed to what happened. A round tire will roll up on a rise like that but a square tire will fight it. It's all in knowing what you have and using it accordingly.
For example,
A batwing dresser can go 140 MPH but you better be ready for a wild ride if there's any wind. (Ask Hubbard)
A dresser can be used as a dual sport bike but imagine picking that thing up in the mud.
My F350 4 door is a bear to park in a regular parking space so I allow for it and park away from others.

It's all in knowing what you have and what the limitations are.
I allow for possible difficult riding conditions when on the Frontier (difficult for a 280 rear tire) and all is well.
I'm sorry the guy had the accident but IMHO operator error or lack of experience was more the cause than just being in a "construction zone"

SBB

:2vrolijk_21:

« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 08:15:10 AM by Silver-Black »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 08:22:12 AM »

Ya know, I'm glad he's Ok too, but I have to say some patience is required to survive riding a motorcycle.  Even if he got over safely, the rest of the group following woulda been forced to try to make it around to stay together.  I like to get my move on as much as the next guy, but ya just gotta relax a bit sometimes.  Wait til there's a good shoulder to use or something. :huepfenjump3:

Two years ago, MD 40 near Baltimore they had paved a lane at a time and you had no choice but to go up and down over the 4 inch curb they left behind otherwise you couldn't get on and off the dang road.  Only way to do it was to slow down and move as far away from it as posible and turn sharp to hit it as straight as possible.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 09:06:20 AM »

Ya know, I'm glad he's Ok too, but I have to say some patience is required to survive riding a motorcycle.  Even if he got over safely, the rest of the group following woulda been forced to try to make it around to stay together.  I like to get my move on as much as the next guy, but ya just gotta relax a bit sometimes.  Wait til there's a good shoulder to use or something. :huepfenjump3:

Two years ago, MD 40 near Baltimore they had paved a lane at a time and you had no choice but to go up and down over the 4 inch curb they left behind otherwise you couldn't get on and off the dang road.  Only way to do it was to slow down and move as far away from it as posible and turn sharp to hit it as straight as possible.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Very wise.  One must consider the others when leading a group ride.  That lane should have been blocked off with cones if the lanes were that uneven.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 02:29:14 PM »

I often think about passing when I get behind a slllloooooowwwwww moving cage, but then I think WHO CARES I am on a beautiful bike enjoying the ride, weather etc and then wait til it is safe WAY safe to pull the trigger.  There are too many blind spots around here that could get you hurt in a big way.

Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 02:55:31 PM »

I often think about passing when I get behind a slllloooooowwwwww moving cage, but then I think WHO CARES I am on a beautiful bike enjoying the ride, weather etc and then wait til it is safe WAY safe to pull the trigger.  There are too many blind spots around here that could get you hurt in a big way.

Seegarz

Yup, and all you do is get there quicker and shorten the ride.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 05:46:18 PM »

Guess some will never learn that construction zones are very dangerous places. Loose rocks, holes, equipment, people, fast cars, slow trucks, all things that can eff you up. That's one place I make sure I've got lots of space between me and the other traffic. Glad your bud's hide is mostly intact.

I fully agree. Just last year I was riding in Montana, near Missoula, on a road leading to the the Interstate. The asphalt on both roads was approximately 3 inches different. When I joined the Interstate I had to struggle to keep the bike up. With both surfaces being almost black, it was very difficult to spot any difference. So be warned!
And: I am totally surprised that the rider on the Boss Hoss had no other injuries. That is like a second birthday! Good for him.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 11:44:38 AM »

Glad to hear he got out with minimal injuries, sorry about the loss of the bike though...hope the insurance covers it! Excellent point about obeying signage...here endeth the lesson!

Flyndyna
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 08:15:20 AM »

Thank the Lord for those Angels. I absolutely believe in them! Very glad to hear he is well as we all know you can buy another bike. Good reminder, especially given the road construction here in WA is never ending. The ABATE group actually introduced legislation specific to required Motorcycle warning signs for situations as this.
Ride Safe! :coolblue:

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 22 queries.