Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Friend of mine and ex-biker...  (Read 2962 times)

Miss Kitty

• Admiral's Screaming Eagle
  • Full CVO Member
  • Silver Bullet BSR

• CVO1: 09 CUSE {BSR}
Re: Friend of mine and ex-biker...
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 07:14:21 PM »

I just received this email from David. I met him when we worked together back in 1998-2000. He always wanted to purchase a bike and I convinced his wife and he got a Dyna Wide Glide. I remember we rode together to Biketoberfest in 2003 and stayed in the same hotel room. We work in the same industry so we speak once in a while. I knew that he had fought with cancer two times and the last time was with a throat cancer (he sold the bike during this two-year fight)  and he won the fight both times. At my surprise he got again and in the lungs this time. His words have an important message............he is a real man!!

Please don’t put this out on the street but I am sharing this info with my close friends.

Well since people have been asking … here we go…but I’m telling you in advance…hold on.

Most of you know about my last cancer fight Yes I said last and that implies another. So the new fight I have on my hands, or should I say “ in my lungs”. They have been watching a few spots in my lungs very closely for the last year. They have been growing very slowly and a total of 5 are there now. I am going in for surgery on Nov 7 to have the 2 spots in my left lung cut out. YEP cut out…removed… of my lungs, it is major surgery and they will go in thru my back just below the shoulder blade and split my back ribs apart cut some muscle..don’t remember what it was called but they cut it just the same. He then reaches in with both hands…YES BOTH. Then deflates the lung..not sure how and really don’t want to know. He and his partner take turns 3 times each feeling the deflated lung and comparing notes on what they feel and what should and should not be there. Now the delicate part….hahaha…I did not know this but a deflated lung is about ¼ of an inch and feels like silk….anyway they find the spots by feel and my last scan as a road map….then using a tool…yes there is a tool special designed for this ..again not sure I want to know much but it is apparently a fancy pair of scissors. It staples 2 titanium staples side by side as it cuts the middle so the wound it closed actually before it is even cut…they simply cut out the spots…he said SIMPLY not me….and yes the staples stay in forever..all I know I get morphine…YEA…something to look forward too, and something called a upper epidural. It is higher up, just below the neck and shuts everything off below that point??? yea I asked why also…I will be a sleep for all this right?? And yes you could hear the concern in my voice at that time.. he replied, it is for when you wake up. The meds can only help so much for the pain …well let’s just say you will need this done…ok I am a little scared now…

I will stay in the hospital for 5-7 days and then home for at least 30 days rest. Then light duty.

They will look at the spots and determine what to do next. Chemo or go in on the other side then chemo or…or…or…

You know after all the other crap I have been thru this is nothing….that is a very sad statement of my past isn’t it…I have been thru so much that this seems like nothing….and I have become numb to all this…I would have never thought that was humanly  possible but to a degree  it is true.

Believe it or not the surgery is a relief to Barb and I…the waiting was HELL…Not being able to do anything, not knowing what it’s going to do..that’s the hard part.

Take it from me, hug your kids and significant other and live, love and laugh. It will end 1 day and no matter what, you will always want more time so don’t waste a day worrying. Don’t let anything  take a day from you.

Love you all & Thank you for your prayers.

I will talk to you when I catch my breath….hahaha

David Maggiore

Jorge, tell David we will be praying for him and to keep the faith. God bless.

Miss Kitty

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 01:53:11 PM »

Thanks Kitty...I will tell him  :2vrolijk_21:

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 01:56:16 PM »

This is an update from mi amigo David:

I’m back !!!!

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to keep all of you up to date on my progress.

Everything with the surgery went perfect. I went in on Friday and was released to go home that Monday Afternoon. WOW…Amazing…Everything went according to plan. The Surgeon removed the 2 spots from the left side of my lung that he wanted and found 3 more he also removed. I will spare all the details because it really wasn’t pretty and sounds even worst but all is better now.  I am resting at home only getting out to do Doc follow ups and medical stuff really. The pain is under control due to chemistry….hahaha

They ran all kinds of tests and stuff but the reader’s digest version is, Yes it was and is Cancer again. They feel that my best option is to go in and have the same procedure done on my right side in a few months after I heal up. Chemo and Radiation are not an option at this time. Hey That’s a good thing because that is usually the last option and I am not there.( been there and done that before ) Personally I feel my best option is the big man upstairs but we know how doctors feel about that. My trust is and has always been with GOD and your prayers, that is where I feel I have my best chance. I will let the doctors do what they do, but I am still asking you to do what you do and have done for me in the past….pray…its worked so far.

I should be back to work shortly and ready to put up with all of you again….ok maybe not all of you….

Thanks again for all your kind words and prayers,

David Maggiore

Coaxial Systems Associates
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.469 seconds with 21 queries.