Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Lost a Rider Sunday  (Read 5125 times)

yellow103

• 2005 Electra Glide SE
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2005 SEEG2
Lost a Rider Sunday
« on: June 17, 2014, 12:30:09 PM »

Lost a 59 year old rider from Gordonsville Va on Sunday in the Page County area. Rider and wife were headed east on US 211, drunk driver headed west turned left in front of them. Driver dies at the scene, wife was flown to UVA, unkow injuries at this time. I have been riding for almost 40 years, have had some close calls, in that time, just had one two weeks ago riding with a good freind, driver pulled out in front of me on a straight stretch, had the wife on the back was running about 45-50 MPH on a scenic back road, had just enough time to lock the bike up, laid rubber for a good 40 feet or more, driver stopped half way out, felt the bumper on my pants leg as I was sliding by. I was mad as hell, wife was shaking badly. I wanted to get off the bike and stomp a mud pudle in his azz, and fill it full of snapping turtles, wife calmed me down. This is the third biker in the past two months we have lost in my local area, I am almost to the point of giving it up, going out for a good ole relaxing ride with the beter half, is a thing of the past anymore.
2005 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide
Screaming Eagle 6 speed W/21 tooth primary drive
SE Race Tuner
Rhinehart Tru Dual
Traxxion Front Supension
Rear Sway Control
King Tour Pak
Panacea LED Light's front/rear
Heated Grips
LED trunk spoiler

1BdBagr

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Lost a Rider Sunday
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 12:46:38 PM »

Thats terrible to hear. I've been hearing of more and more instances where long time riders are hanging it up because of things like this. On saturday i had some idiot come into my lane and i was close enough to kick his door...but i didn't. I looked right at his face and he didn't give a sh!t at all. I just held my ground and wouldn't let him push me off the lane and he backed down and gave me room. I flipped him a long bird and he hung back then flew by me and continued cutting off other motorists' as he went away. I didn't want to go road rage on him and ruin my ride. People today just are too callous with human life.
Tim
someday i'll have a CVO...

yellow103

• 2005 Electra Glide SE
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 12:52:27 PM »

Tim,
Couldn't have said it better, and you are so right. I have had more of those type situations than I care to count, that and the flippin cell phone trance drivers. I do my best to avoid major highways, but it seems to not matter at all. Suppose to be leaving Thursday on a southern trip with a buddy and his wife, have it all mapped out, all back roads and national forest areas, down NC and Tenn way. Sort of dreading it for fear of some idiot cager.
SE Race Tuner
Rhinehart Tru Dual
Traxxion Front Supension
Rear Sway Control
King Tour Pak
Heated Grips
LED trunk spoiler

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 01:59:27 PM »

Sorry to hear this. Next time you stop at a red light with a lot of others look around most are texting as they wait at the light now.

King2013

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 11:35:15 PM »

Sorry to hear this. Next time you stop at a red light with a lot of others look around most are texting as they wait at the light now.

No need to wait for the lights, just look in the window as you go by they're texting while driving, barely paying attention to the road. Not picking on them but it's "mostly" the young women around here.
Dam idiots!

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 11:59:20 PM »

Never an issue when I ride my GS off road. Always an issue when on the road.

Since I like the GS a lot the HD might go in the fall. I ride for fun and I just don't seem to rack up any road miles anymore. Will go to Sturgis on the CVO but not sure if I ride it back.

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 11:28:39 AM »

I feel safer on the Interstate than I do riding in cities! People don't believe in stop lights or stop signs. I've seen texting people doing 75 mph, seen people reading hard copy books at 75 mph, but at least they are going the same direction! My friends wife or my wife will give them the fist action as we go by.
 It has really become a "me" world, and it's scaring the heck out of me!

Tazmun
The "TAZMUN"

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 11:30:39 AM »

I feel safer on the Interstate than I do riding in cities! People don't believe in stop lights or stop signs. I've seen texting people doing 75 mph, seen people reading hard copy books at 75 mph, but at least they are going the same direction! My friends wife or my wife will give them the fist action as we go by.

Tazmun
Yes I agree it's when they are coming head on I get really nervous!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 01:29:44 PM »

This is what worries me the most. I drive a truck in my business and I rack up tons of miles each and every week. From my vantage point I see that almost every driver is distracted. I would say 75% of the people I see driving are on their phones, mostly texting or playing games. Additionally I see people talking, holding the phone in their right hand across their face into their left ear. Or drivers who have their dogs on their laps. Or putting on makeup. I have seen people on laptops, or reading a book or newspaper. There has to be a crackdown on this mentality. I grew up of the mindset that when you're driving that paying attention to your surroundings was your number 1 priority. Nowadays it isn't even in the top 10. And I see people coming onto the highway without ever looking to yield, they just come around the ramp and right on without ever looking or signaling. Hear in Mass there was a young girl who was out jogging who got hit and killed last week by a guy who has a 2 page list of violations and suspensions. He was texting when he hit her and she was on the sidewalk. All this makes me a very, very cautious and defensive motorcyclist to the point that I am so uptight that I don't always enjoy my ride like I should.
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 03:10:28 PM »

Boy it is scary to read this. I ride downtown everyday and take a longer ride almost every weekend. I have had many close calls as well. My wife had her own bike for awhile but was tense all the time she decided to just ride behind me. I ride thinking that every car will do something stupid and that has helped me both riding and even driving.  I had a friend down from Greenbay and he was talking about all the traffic. I said just count the number of people on the phone and the number texting as they are driving. He counted 4 out of 10 drivers were texting and 3 out of the same 10 were on the cell phone.  Only 1 person actually looked like he was paying attention!  I also see a lot fo wrecks and think if that had been my bike rearended we wouldn't be sitting around waiting for the cops!My wife is very nervous about me riding to work. I just love it so much I can't stop.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 03:43:09 PM »

Tazmun
I agree... when I tell people some of the places I've been on my bike and they ask about how I got their (riding on the Interstate) I tell them I feel comfortable on the Interstate. I go with (or faster) than the traffic around me and be cautious.... like you said all the traffic is going in the same direction for the most part. I feel as long as I don't let anyone run me over from behind I have a better chance of watching what is ahead/beside me. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 07:57:41 PM »

Great points guys.

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 10:34:25 AM »

as scenic as the back roads are I too think of all the idiots. I try to stay off the ones ( I use to love ) with no center lines painted, even though the lines don't mean anything either anymore. the main two lane I live off of has lines but everyone is in the middle ( 3' over the line) . this is every day, all day. but out on the secondary rds you meet "ronnie redneck " in his pickup with monster mudder tires either in a curve or a blind knoll & he's on your side, usually to the point that all you have is the ditch. sad to say, but this has become a "all about me" society. If I die, at least I'll die doing what I love. WE, as riders just have to be more aware of EVERYTHING around us at ALL times. 5 keys to smith system defensive driving, All Good Kids Love Milk. A- aim high  G- get the big picture  K- keep your eyes moving  L- leave yourself an out  M- make sure they see you.  IMO  law enforcement is way too lenient on drivers just not paying attention. if they would enforce it with some jail time like DUI's & bigger fines (not 25.00 & court cost) this would deter alot (not stop it, but slow it down)
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 10:41:46 AM »

sorry to continue, but was thinking about a friend from church 4 weeks ago. he & wife were sitting at light coming out of the mall. 28 yr old female hit them in the rear, totaled the bike ( red goldwing). told the LEO that it wasn't her fault, she was trying to go somewhere ( no answer as to where, just somewhere) & they were in the way. witnesses stated that she actually accelerated trying to get by the witnesses. case of " it's all about me & your are in my space".
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 04:13:14 PM »

I agree. Mandatory jail time for a DUI. 10 years behind bars is a good start.

as scenic as the back roads are I too think of all the idiots. I try to stay off the ones ( I use to love ) with no center lines painted, even though the lines don't mean anything either anymore. the main two lane I live off of has lines but everyone is in the middle ( 3' over the line) . this is every day, all day. but out on the secondary rds you meet "ronnie redneck " in his pickup with monster mudder tires either in a curve or a blind knoll & he's on your side, usually to the point that all you have is the ditch. sad to say, but this has become a "all about me" society. If I die, at least I'll die doing what I love. WE, as riders just have to be more aware of EVERYTHING around us at ALL times. 5 keys to smith system defensive driving, All Good Kids Love Milk. A- aim high  G- get the big picture  K- keep your eyes moving  L- leave yourself an out  M- make sure they see you.  IMO  law enforcement is way too lenient on drivers just not paying attention. if they would enforce it with some jail time like DUI's & bigger fines (not 25.00 & court cost) this would deter alot (not stop it, but slow it down)

yellow103

• 2005 Electra Glide SE
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2014, 07:10:55 PM »

Not trying to be a downer here, but wanted to add a little more from our 3 day ride with our good friends we just returned from. Left From our home in the north west part of va, headed down towards I 77 on I 81 all good, got off on a little road around Ivanhoe Va Rt 94 headed for Boone NC. Next day we left for Mountain City Tn , on our way to Shady Valley and the snake., On Rt 67 coming down a hill three vehicles coming out of a side road on the right, two gunned it to beat us two bikes, the third tried, saw he couldn't make it, hit the brakes slid through the stop sign right in front of us, we were both able to get stopped, and we were on wet roads. My thought, what the hell was so important. Later that day on Rt 58 out of Damacus Va, was enjoying the winding road traveling no faster than 35, guy sitting on the side of the road at the start of a turn, pulls out right in front of us, we were able to both get completely stopped horns blaring, he just looks at us like its our fault, never even looked before he pulled out. Like a few have already said, I am so tense anymore when out riding, it just takes a lot of the fun out of it for us.
SE Race Tuner
Rhinehart Tru Dual
Traxxion Front Supension
Rear Sway Control
King Tour Pak
Heated Grips
LED trunk spoiler

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 04:44:36 AM »

During my travels yesterday the one that baffled me was there were 2 bikes on my right and the one in front pulled out in front of me and cut me off made me brake. Of all people to understand this....

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 21 queries.