Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clay bar  (Read 4115 times)

bloper123

• Full CVO Member
  • Wheel weight came loose. I have a dented fender.

• CVO1: 2011 1/2 Screaming Eagle serial#9987
Clay bar
« on: February 01, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »

Has eny one used a mother clay bar, Im wanting to try this on my bike but like to see what other members think of useing a clay bar on harley paint seems as my paint is really easy to leave swirl marks on with just washing and waxing. Thanks  :orange:
bobby

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
Re: Clay bar
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 12:35:48 PM »

not a mothers clay bar, but i have used a clay bar.  I don't think it would use it to get swirl marks out of the clear coat, there are several polishes that will help with that, even a cheap orbital buffer will do the trick.  A clay bar is used, or at least I use it for deeper scratches in the clear coat, paint blemishes, or scuff marks to the paint.  I bought a cheap small 5" orbital buffer for $30, every once and a while, after a bad rainfall or something where the bike really got dirty, I will pull that out with some final polish and it does wonders and removes all the surface swirl marks.  Last bike was black, this bikes color isn't so obvious.
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 02:06:45 PM »

A clay bar is used to remove surface and embedded debris from the paint film.  All those tiny particles that get worked into the paint rather than washed off are sheared off and absorbed into the clay, leaving the surface smoother.  However, a regular clay bar isn't going to eliminate scratches and swirls, you will still need to sand and/or polish to eliminate those.  Use the least abrasive method that will get the job done, since you are removing a small amount of paint when you polish.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »

Jerry is right on here.  I have used the Griot's Garage clay bar and think it works very well for paint cleaning (not for removing swirl marks nor scratches).  Here is what they say about the bar in their marketing materials: 

"Regardless of how clean you think your paint is, there are still contaminants stuck on the paint that you need to remove before waxing or polishing your paint. Paint Cleaning Clay leaves behind an ultra-smooth surface that will make your wax adhere better and last longer, too. It also makes the wax much easier to buff out, reducing your "elbow grease" substantially. Clay is safe for all paint and also works great on glass to get it squeaky clean. To use, just remove the clay from the wrapper, spray the paint's surface with Speed Shine (acts as a lubricating fluid), and slide the clay bar across the paint. No need to rub hard. When there is no drag your paint is clean! Wipe dry and your finish is like a baby's butt without the streaks. Unlike other cleaners and polishes, no buffing or hard circular motions are necessary. Follow up with any of our paint sealants or waxes."

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 03:26:44 PM »

The product I use is Malm's:  http://www.malms.com/  Their carnuba waxes are among the best in the industry.

They have the clay bars, waxes and polishes for autos and bikes. 

I use the clay bar once a year on my Jag and will use it on the CVO before spring.  Still, a good scratch removing polish or "very light" polishing compound with an orbital buffer is recommended to remove deeper scratches in the clear coat.  Careful not to burn. 

I have fun keeping my toys looken good!
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 03:43:25 PM »

I have used the Mothers clay on my bike as well as cars.  
As others have said..it is not for removing swirls.
If you use it make sure to be very liberal with the wet stuff...don't rub the clay without plenty of Mothers detailer first.  
You can and will create surface scratches in the clear if you let it get dry under the clay.

It works great and leaves a glass surface when you are done.   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 03:45:07 PM by guppytrash »

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 25 queries.