Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ipod Question  (Read 4059 times)

06cvo

Ipod Question
« on: March 11, 2007, 06:08:36 PM »

For Xmas the family got me a ipod nano, I saw you can plug it in the HK. My question is where do you guys mount them, I am going to get the wire I need to plug it in tomorrow and was thinking it would be great if I could place it in the tourpack or the lowers what do you guys think. and pics would be great.

Thanks for any input.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Ipod Question
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 08:57:39 PM »

For Xmas the family got me a ipod nano, I saw you can plug it in the HK. My question is where do you guys mount them, I am going to get the wire I need to plug it in tomorrow and was thinking it would be great if I could place it in the tourpack or the lowers what do you guys think. and pics would be great.

Thanks for any input.

My solution is a waterproof case designed specifically for the 2nd Generation Nano.

http://www.otterbox.com/products/ipod_cases/ipod_nano_case/second_gen.htm

They have a clip for the back of it that attaches to a RAM mount.

http://www.otterbox.com/products/ipod_cases/mounts.htm (The one at the bottom right)

I have attached a picture of it on the bike.

Good luck,

Chief

<EDIT> I apologize for the inconsiderate use of a black item on the bike. In my defense, they don't make a chrome clip.
</EDIT>
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 08:59:34 PM by Chief »

BlueFlames

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 flhrse3 blue
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 11:25:46 AM »

You can find some other mounting options on this site as well.  http://www.2wheeltunes.com/radio_mounts.htm

I mounted mine in the saddlebag because I didn't want it on the handlebar and I use a small Apple remote. If you like to crank the music you might want to try importing your music in a larger fomat than typical mp3 to get better sound.

Doug
"Chrome is like clevage.......too much is not enough"

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 11:50:26 AM »

I mounted mine in the saddlebag because I didn't want it on the handlebar and I use a small Apple remote. If you like to crank the music you might want to try importing your music in a larger fomat than typical mp3 to get better sound.

Doug

What other formats are compatible with an ipod? I am not thrilled with the output of the Nano. It's like I need a preamp between it and the radio to bump the gain.

Chief

BlueFlames

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 12:02:23 PM »

I burn all of my at "Apple Lossless Format".  The standard compressed mp3 format is great for earphones, but when you amplify it through a stereo it does not work well.  The downside is when you burn songs at full "resolution" they take up about 5 times (or more) as much space.  I bought a 30GB Ipod when my Nano was stolen, so I would have as much room as I could ever possibly use.

I am at the office now so I can't look to be exact, but to change the setting go to "Preferences", then there is an "Advanced" tab somewhere relating to Importing.  There you can pick "Apple Lossless" which basically imports songs at the same fill size they are on the CD.  One downside is that I do not think you can import from iTunes in that large format, so you can only use it on songs you have on CD.

There are some additional Ipod settings recommendations at the www.2wheeltunes.com" site, I believe under FAQ that may help you get  better sound as well.

Good luck,  Doug

06cvo

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 08:37:04 PM »

Thanks all, Doug how did you run the wire to the sadle bags, that is what I want to do, as I dont want to mount anything on the bars. Thanks for the sites and input. I spent all winter loading this little thing with songs now need to hook it all up. :-\ I wanted to run mine to either the lowers or tourpack.

BlueFlames

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 10:14:51 PM »

Since I have a SERK I don't have the luxury of a radio and amp built in.  For my set-up it was a little different, but I ran the wire from the backside of the saddlebag up under the seat, gas tank, to the neck and the up under the handlebars to where my speakers are located.

I saw a thread the other day from someone on this site that added an auxillary input on the back of the radio unit that would work nice to keep the wires hidden.  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=7674.0  You could run the wires to the back of the unit and use that set-up to keep them totally hidden.

I use a small Ipod remote on my unit that can control the volume, play, pause, skip, etc.  I posted some pics of the remote for someone else a couple weeks ago at   http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=10576.0  The nice thing is you can change the volume, pause and play with the remote and it is very inconspicious.

custardglide

• Full CVO Member
  • AN AMERICAN IN AN ENGLISHMANS BODY

• CVO1: FLHTKSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 sold
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 04:08:03 AM »

HEY CHIEF, WOTS WITH ALL THESE FANCY MOUNTS FOR THE IPOD, 3 MONTHS AGO I BOUGHT A WINDSHIELD TYPE BAG TO PUT THE IPOD IN :oops: AND NOW YOU COME UP WITH THIS SUPERB MOUNTING BRACKET ;D. SO $125 ARE WINGING THEIR WAY TO OTTERBOX AS I SPEAK, SO THANKS FOR SHARING THAT INFO WITH US. BTW THEY MIGHT NOT DO CHROME CLIPS FOR THE IPOD BUT THE MOCO SURE DO BILLET COVERS FOR YOUR THROTTLE CABLE ADJUSTERS(I THOUGHT IT INCONSIDERATE OF ME NOT TO POINT THIS OUT) :2vrolijk_21: :bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock:
IF YOU CAN'T SEE IT BEFORE YOU CAN HEAR IT WOTS THE POINT

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 06:35:43 AM »

Hi, http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=3094

Not sure what your ride is but try this set-up, it's the best on the market.  I fitted this to my Heritage Springer and am considering putting another onto my SERK.
Chrome self amplified speakers which fit onto your handlebars are wired straight to the battery via through the handlebars under the tank.  I rivetted a 12v charger to the inside of the saddlebags, connected  it to the battery and purchased an off the shelf car kit which allowed me to play the IPOD and charge it at the same time.

These speakers are so good you can hear the music comfortably without a windscreen at 50mph and with one up to 80mph and the sound quality is excellent.

It's not just a ride anymore it now becomes an "Entertainment Centre"

Stay shiny side up Bro

Smiler

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 09:08:35 AM »

HEY CHIEF, WOTS WITH ALL THESE FANCY MOUNTS FOR THE IPOD, 3 MONTHS AGO I BOUGHT A WINDSHIELD TYPE BAG TO PUT THE IPOD IN :oops: AND NOW YOU COME UP WITH THIS SUPERB MOUNTING BRACKET ;D. SO $125 ARE WINGING THEIR WAY TO OTTERBOX AS I SPEAK, SO THANKS FOR SHARING THAT INFO WITH US. BTW THEY MIGHT NOT DO CHROME CLIPS FOR THE IPOD BUT THE MOCO SURE DO BILLET COVERS FOR YOUR THROTTLE CABLE ADJUSTERS(I THOUGHT IT INCONSIDERATE OF ME NOT TO POINT THIS OUT) :2vrolijk_21: :bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock:

CG,

You win the prize. I was waiting for someone to mention the rubber duckies there.  :2vrolijk_21:

Chief

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.