Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Apple Car Play problems  (Read 8350 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Apple Car Play problems
« on: March 01, 2020, 05:46:36 PM »

On my new 2020 Tri Glide I can't get Car Play to initialize or if it does to work consistently.  I've tried it several times in my garage with ignition on accessory and it works perfectly . . . as would be expected, duh!  But when I head out on the road for some reason (bests the heck out of me) it won't work. 

So here's the lowdown on my  setup and settings.  I have the latest Boom!Box software as of last week . . . and the latest Apple iPhone software.  Boom!Box has Projection set to On as required.  iPhone X shows Boom!Box as connected and to allow CarPlay when the screen is locked.  I use a wired J&M headset as a mic is required.

Heading out for a ride today.  Backed it out to the drive and after we mounted and started out CarPlay was not active.  After several miles it suddenly became active and worked.  After a gas stop it worked for a while then disappeared never to return the entire 75 miles or so of the ride.  Got back home, fired it up in the garage and it worked fine.

Anyone have any idea of what the problem might be.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: Apple Car Play problems
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 07:25:54 PM »

have you tried deleting all your pairings and re-pairing everything?  i had some weird issues with mine and had to do that and it seems to be working fine now.

I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 10:19:34 PM »

have you tried deleting all your pairings and re-pairing everything?  i had some weird issues with mine and had to do that and it seems to be working fine now.
I did but thanks for the suggestion.   :2vrolijk_21:

IBA member # 45520

PeterJ

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2007 Buell XB12SCg, 2000 FXSTD Deuce
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 12:08:10 AM »

I had a similar issue. Turned out the USB cable between phone and bike had an intermittent failure. Changed the cable and all worked fine.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 12:31:14 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm going to try another USB / lightening cable - an 'official' Apple cable and see if that makes a difference.

Also, i spoke to H-D customer care today about this and he asked if I used a wired or wireless headset.  I said wired and its a J&M.  He did not know specifically but did say he sort of remembered hearing that some headsets didn't work properly in that CarPlay didn't recognize that a headset was plugged in.  Going to speak to J&M about this and found that there is a work around to disable the need for a headset / mic to be plugged in for CarPlay to activate.  May try that also.

IBA member # 45520

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 08:13:24 AM »

For some reason CarPlay can be flakey.  I have had ac few times when I start the bike and car play does not start.  I usually just unplug phone and plug it back in and it works.  I have done all the pair and unpairing.  I have tried with HD brand Sena 20s and HD brand Sena 30K.

Yesterday was a first, rode 150 miles with all working fine.  Then took a turn off the interstate and it quit. 

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

load97

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide Red Pepper & Magnetic Grey With Black Hole
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 09:10:24 AM »

I've had issues as well. Even when I have Carplay to work when locked sometimes it still will require me to unlock the screen anyway. That same behavior there is present in my 2019 Jeep, but hasn't really been present with my 2015 Ram that has a 2018 factory infotainment retro fitted in. I can't even use the front USB in my Jeep with my iPhone 11 Pro. The USB stops working. But the rear will work pretty much most of the time. Now my wife still has the iPhone X and hers works fine in either port of the Jeep. She's had very few issues. I don't think this is strictly an HD issue or Jeep issue. I think Apple is partly to blame. I even installed a USB tool that plugs into the Jeep USB first then the cord in to it. Then the phone to the cord. It lets me know the voltage output, amps output & I think if data is moving (I'd have to verify that/haven't used it much). I've had it where the USB would be completely dead and nothing happen on the phone, but I also had it where the outlet was showing power being transmitted, but the phone not showing it's even charging. Jeep even replaced the front USB about year ago. The previous USB even my wife's iPhone X stopped working twice I think. I even made a youtube video of the Jeep deal.
2019 CVO Road Glide Red Pepper & Magnetic Grey With Black Hole
2017 CVO Street Glide Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black *Traded*

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 12:28:47 AM »

I have a brand new car and honestly have more issues with the Apple Play on it then on my bike. I regularly have to start the car and wait for it to connect and then shut the car off and re cycle everything to get it to work. Havent had to do that in the 15000 miles on my bike (yet..)
Alan

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 04:40:46 PM »

Today I tried something that may help with the CarPlay issues.  I learned from one of John Maxwell's videos there are settings for the Apple CarPlay mic.  A mic is required to be able speak to Siri and it seems to me that the mic may be part of the problem.  And I don't talk to that little b**** anyway.

In any case the Apple CarPlay mic settings are wired, wireless and disable.  I had my dealer flash the BoomBox to disable the mic.  Figured it would take out at least one variable.  Anyway it worked coming home and after I stopped for gas.  Am I confident the problem(s) is/are solved.   :nixweiss: You gotta be kidding, right!   :D  No I'm not confident but perhaps it will be good enough that I can get it to work most of the time and that would be a huge improvement.  :)

Time will tell.  I'll keep you posted. 

IBA member # 45520

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 08:03:10 AM »

I was just in the car, the 18 Chevy.  Only CarPlay issue is you must unlock the phone, no matter the if its set to play when locked.  17 Truck has no issues that I have found with CarPlay.

I do use the WHIM that came with the bike and the 20S or 30K head set.  It usually connects CarPlay fine if headset is on.  However occasionally I have to shut bike down and wait two minutes and try again.  Talk to text with siri works, getting directions through siri works, using the iPhone as an iPod works.

The phone will make a call, it will connect but the person your calling can not hear you, and you cant hear them.  Same with receiving a call it will connect but you cant hear them and they cant hear you.

Seems the iPhone 11 should work for a call, its the most basic and most important reason for a phone.

That said if not using car play, not in projection mode.  The iPhone 11 still cant be used for a phone call, as volume is so low you cant hear them and they cant hear you.

So I am not sure its a CarPlay issue as phone does not work with the boom either way.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2020, 07:40:11 AM »

I have called Harley Customer Service again about this issue.  They keep saying its apple or Sena.  I believe its Harley.

I did some testing yesterday with a Harley Brand 20's.  I paired my iPhone 11 Pro to the 20's, not the bike.  The music was very loud in the helmet speakers.  I mean it was louder at 1/3 volume in the helmet speakers than when the 20's is paired to the Road Glide Boom and the boom volume is max.

Then I had my wife call me.  I had no issue answering the phone.  She was very loud, had to turn volume down to half.  I was also able to call her using seri.  Again no issues hearing her, was only at half volume.

So the iPhone 11 works just fine with the Sena, if paired to the sena.

softer music volume when paired to the Boom, and no phone volume at all when pair to boom tells me its Harley.

Glenncarp

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 07:42:19 PM »

On my new 2020 Tri Glide I can't get Car Play to initialize or if it does to work consistently.  I've tried it several times in my garage with ignition on accessory and it works perfectly . . . as would be expected, duh!  But when I head out on the road for some reason (bests the heck out of me) it won't work. 

So here's the lowdown on my  setup and settings.  I have the latest Boom!Box software as of last week . . . and the latest Apple iPhone software.  Boom!Box has Projection set to On as required.  iPhone X shows Boom!Box as connected and to allow CarPlay when the screen is locked.  I use a wired J&M headset as a mic is required.

Heading out for a ride today.  Backed it out to the drive and after we mounted and started out CarPlay was not active.  After several miles it suddenly became active and worked.  After a gas stop it worked for a while then disappeared never to return the entire 75 miles or so of the ride.  Got back home, fired it up in the garage and it worked fine.

Anyone have any idea of what the problem might be.

Best advice is: Find a lake and chuck all Apple products as far as you can, then wait until this summer for the HD upgrade as Android auto is coming to HD!!!! Wait, hold onto that Iphone, can't wait to see what technical snafu's there are with the Android Auto/HD marriage!

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 07:48:28 PM »

Best advice is: Find a lake and chuck all Apple products as far as you can, then wait until this summer for the HD upgrade as Android auto is coming to HD!!!! Wait, hold onto that Iphone, can't wait to see what technical snafu's there are with the Android Auto/HD marriage!

I hear you.  So true, so true, lol.

IBA member # 45520

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2020, 06:50:41 AM »

One can only hope that Harley does a better job integrating Android Auto than they did CarPlay.  I seriously doubt they will.  Harley has not been know for getting their software right.  They have also not been know for fixing it in a timely matter.

The GT6.5 came out in 2104.  It was still used on my 2018, and harley was still trying to get software issues corrected.  The GTS came out in 19 and still has lots of issues.

My truck nor car have software issues, neither has ever required an update.

I switched to apple for computer in 09.  Switched to the iPhone in 15.  Much happier with apple than I was with windows and android.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 04:48:53 PM »

Apple has come out with ios13.4 with some “improvements” including CarPlay.
Has anyone downloaded the latest version on their phone to see if there are any improvements to the gts units on 2019 and up?

My system “kinda” works most of the time but not as seamless as on the car.
 :nixweiss:
HOGMIKE

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 06:12:03 AM »

Apple has come out with ios13.4 with some “improvements” including CarPlay.
Has anyone downloaded the latest version on their phone to see if there are any improvements to the gts units on 2019 and up?

My system “kinda” works most of the time but not as seamless as on the car.

Yes I have downloaded and installed iOS 13.4 yesterday.  I was not able to find any improvements into integration with the bike.  Siri still works fine can still ask for directions or destination,  still works as an iPod.   And of course you still can not use the phone as a phone.  It will connect to incomeing calls but they cant hear you and you cant hear them.  No change on the Phone call aspect.

Not surprised its no change with the phone call not working, its a Harley issue not Apple.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 06:29:38 AM by FLSTFI Dave »

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 09:13:19 AM »

Yes I have downloaded and installed iOS 13.4 yesterday.  I was not able to find any improvements into integration with the bike.  Siri still works fine can still ask for directions or destination, Siri text still works fine, still works as an iPod.   And of course you still can not use the phone as a phone.  It will connect to incomeing calls but they cant hear you and you cant hear them.  No change on the Phone call aspect.

Not surprised its no change with the phone call not working, its a Harley issue not Apple.

Good to know that the update is not any different with the gts than what we have now, I’ll update my phone.
👍
HOGMIKE

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 07:21:54 PM »

Update:
Updated my software on the iPhone and the Harley gts today.
Everything works as before except my speech to text is now not working.
Crap!
I’ll mess with it tomorrow or let the dealer figure it out.
 :oops:
HOGMIKE

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2020, 06:28:59 AM »

Update:
Updated my software on the iPhone and the Harley gts today.
Everything works as before except my speech to text is now not working.
Crap!
I’ll mess with it tomorrow or let the dealer figure it out.
 :oops:

Not just you, my text is now no longe working.  Spent a few hours on bike yesterday and found the new update broke more than it fixed.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2020, 06:52:14 AM »

Not just you, my text is now no longe working.  Spent a few hours on bike yesterday and found the new update broke more than it fixed.

Do you know if there is a way to load the PREVIOUS version of software as the latest is missing more than it’s gaining!

>:(
HOGMIKE

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2020, 06:56:55 AM »

The Boom Audio Bloothoth Device manager will let you re load the previous software into the head set or into the WHIM.

I do not believe apple will let you reload the previous iOS into the phone, I wish I knew how as 13.3 is better for me.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2020, 08:41:42 AM »

I’ve not done the 13.4 update but after riding yesterday it appears disabling the mic has resolved the CarPlay issues I was having. It activated each time and didn’t drop out. And I made a phone call with no problem. My iPhone is an XR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IBA member # 45520

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2020, 11:25:36 AM »

I got ambitious this morning due to being a rain and virus shut in.

Updated the Sena firmware along with the iPhone and updated boom gts.
Tried my Pandora, Amazon music, phone calls, speech to text. All are working at this point!

I will take a ride as soon as it stops raining and gets in the 70’s again to check everything out.
 :2vrolijk_21:
HOGMIKE

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2020, 06:41:23 AM »

I’ve not done the 13.4 update but after riding yesterday it appears disabling the mic has resolved the CarPlay issues I was having. It activated each time and didn’t drop out. And I made a phone call with no problem. My iPhone is an XR.

Where are you disabling the mic?  Yesterday I was able to get everthng working the way it was prior to the update, and Siri speech to text is working fine.

Still not able to do phone calls as I can not hear them and they cant hear me.

Please let me know more about the mic....

I got ambitious this morning due to being a rain and virus shut in.

Updated the Sena firmware along with the iPhone and updated boom gts.
Tried my Pandora, Amazon music, phone calls, speech to text. All are working at this point!

I will take a ride as soon as it stops raining and gets in the 70’s again to check everything out.
 :2vrolijk_21:

I updated mine again yesterday and got all working but the actual phone calls.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2020, 08:35:56 AM »

Where are you disabling the mic?  Yesterday I was able to get everthng working the way it was prior to the update, and Siri speech to text is working fine.

There is a setting for the mic - wired, wireless or disabled. It requires Digital Technician to change so dealer must do it. Need mic for Siri but I don’t use her so no loss to me. I made phone call using the Bluetooth capability that is standard on the bike.

IBA member # 45520

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2020, 10:37:49 AM »

I’ll post some screenshots of my Sena settings that seem to be working today.
I’ll go for a ride just to verify.
HOGMIKE

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2020, 10:38:48 AM »

HOGMIKE

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2020, 10:39:31 AM »

HOGMIKE

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2020, 10:40:10 AM »

HOGMIKE

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2020, 07:17:12 PM »

Tried my apple CarPlay with speech to text, phone calls, nav, music.
Everything seems to be working fine at this point. It still takes a few minutes for everything to hook up when you start the bike.
Better than it was for sure!
 8)
HOGMIKE

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2020, 07:11:45 AM »

Tried my apple CarPlay with speech to text, phone calls, nav, music.
Everything seems to be working fine at this point. It still takes a few minutes for everything to hook up when you start the bike.
Better than it was for sure!
 8)

Thanks for all the information.  Curious as how speech to text works with mic disabled?  Same with phone call?  Does mic actually still work when disabled?

I am going to copy your head set settings.  And try them.  Guess it will be a while until I can try anything with digital tech as shop is closed.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2020, 09:07:52 AM »

Thanks for all the information.  Curious as how speech to text works with mic disabled?  Same with phone call?  Does mic actually still work when disabled?

I am going to copy your head set settings.  And try them.  Guess it will be a while until I can try anything with digital tech as shop is closed.
Speaking only for myself using a wired J&M headset I can make a phone call through the CarPlay app. Both parties could hear. This is with iPhone XR and after I had dealer flash to disable CarPlay mic. But I cannot use Siri which I would need for texting.  I think disabling the mic in CarPlay only affects ability to use Siri.

IBA member # 45520

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2020, 07:18:57 PM »

:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2020, 07:26:57 PM »

The Struggle to Fix Broken CarPlay on Harley-Davidson When Nobody Seems to Care

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Thanks for the link that explains WHY we are all having such issues getting CarPlay to work properly as it should.
If it works on the cars I would think it’s not an iPhone issue, rather an issue with the GTS boom system.
Just my 2c

:soapbox:
HOGMIKE

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2020, 06:26:50 AM »

Thanks for the link that explains WHY we are all having such issues getting CarPlay to work properly as it should.
If it works on the cars I would think it’s not an iPhone issue, rather an issue with the GTS boom system.
Just my 2c

I feel it is a Harley issue like you.   

My iPhone 11 works great in my 2017 F-150.  No CarPlay issues at all, connected every time the first time.  My truck has never had to have software updated.

My iPhone 11 works great in my 2018 Corvette.  No CarPlay issues at all.  connects first time every time.  Have never updated the car software.

My iPhone 11 works great with my Sena 20S, HD brand if not paired to bike.  Volume on music so loud you never go over half.  Phone calls crystal clear.

Problem is when iPhone 11 is pair to bike and phone is.  No phone call possible.  music volume low.

Kicker is, yesterday for example, everything paired and worked including CarPlay came up first time I start the bike.  All I do is shut bike off for gas, restart the bike.  CarPlay does not come up.  Have to kill bike for a minute, and restart.  CarPlay comes up.  Hit or miss all day weather or not CarPlay would come up when restarting bike.

Harley just doesn't care.  More concerned about getting the google version of CarPlay released.  Sort of like failing lifter in the 110 bikes, never did fix it after 10 years. 

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2020, 09:17:39 AM »

I’ve been trying the latest “updates” with my 2019 cvo gts system, along with the latest updates from ios
Can’t really see any improvements over the last version concerning Apple CarPlay.
Still won’t hook up SOMETIMES, can’t really isolate any common reason why sometimes it’s hooked up, sometimes no, sometimes after riding for a few miles.
WTF?
Anyone have a smooth connection with Apple CarPlay ALL the time?
HOGMIKE

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2020, 12:40:44 AM »

I have never had an issue on mine other then when I ended up have a faulty cable
Alan

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2020, 05:59:14 AM »

I’ve been trying the latest “updates” with my 2019 cvo gts system, along with the latest updates from ios
Can’t really see any improvements over the last version concerning Apple CarPlay.
Still won’t hook up SOMETIMES, can’t really isolate any common reason why sometimes it’s hooked up, sometimes no, sometimes after riding for a few miles.
WTF?
Anyone have a smooth connection with Apple CarPlay ALL the time?
If I put the bike in Run mode and wait for the radio to boot all the way up and then connect my phone, I have a consistently good experience with CarPlay but If I leave my phone in the media compartment connected when I shut the bike off and restart it later then it is hit and miss.
I had an older iphone previously and it gave me some issues but now I have a XR and it works pretty well.
I also had a cable go bad that would still charge but would intermittantly not carry data.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2020, 06:38:36 AM »

No, mine is not a smooth hook-up all the time.  I have replaced cable with new apple cable but it still some times does not want to connect.  It will work perfect four or five times in a row, then it will not connect the next time.  Some times have to shut bike off for a couple minutes then restart to get it to connect.  Some times just un plug the phone and plug it back in.

Yet it always connects in my car, never with an issue.  iPhone 11 Pro.

Guess I will see if Phreakyz method works for me.  But thats a pain in the jazz for gas stops especially with a group.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2020, 07:14:50 AM »

If I put the bike in Run mode and wait for the radio to boot all the way up and then connect my phone, I have a consistently good experience with CarPlay but If I leave my phone in the media compartment connected when I shut the bike off and restart it later then it is hit and miss.
I had an older iphone previously and it gave me some issues but now I have a XR and it works pretty well.
I also had a cable go bad that would still charge but would intermittantly not carry data.

I think I’ve tried every sequence of turning things on but I’ll try that method again.
It will reboot when you start the bike anyway but I’m not with a group today so I’ve got some time to play with it. I thought about cables and have new ones on the way. Right angle on both ends to fit in the media compartment.
iPhone 7
HOGMIKE

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2020, 01:03:07 PM »

I think I’ve tried every sequence of turning things on but I’ll try that method again.
It will reboot when you start the bike anyway but I’m not with a group today so I’ve got some time to play with it. I thought about cables and have new ones on the way. Right angle on both ends to fit in the media compartment.
iPhone 7

Everything hooked up when I set the run switch to run, plugged in the phone, turned on the Sena, CarPlay hooked up, my Pandora hooked up and all was good.
Started the bike and the GTS came back on but no blue tooth connection. Turned the Sena off then on now blue tooth but no CarPlay.
Music works off the phone.
Went riding, 14 miles later CarPlay hooked up !!?!?!
HOGMIKE

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2020, 06:21:01 AM »

Everything hooked up when I set the run switch to run, plugged in the phone, turned on the Sena, CarPlay hooked up, my Pandora hooked up and all was good.
Started the bike and the GTS came back on but no blue tooth connection. Turned the Sena off then on now blue tooth but no CarPlay.
Music works off the phone.
Went riding, 14 miles later CarPlay hooked up !!?!?!

I have experienced everything you have said, except the bold.  That is a new one.  I have had the opposite, CarPlay stop after 50 or 60 miles.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2020, 07:30:32 PM »

No love today.

First thing this morning, hit the acc. Trigger switch, fired up the Sena, plugged in the phone, CarPlay comes right on, music playing.

Pushed the start button, everything goes dark while cranking. Display comes right back on, no CarPlay, Sena will play music but none of the bike controls have any effect. This sequence changes throughout the day.
Sometimes the handle bar buttons work the volume sometimes not.

No repeatability on sequence of what is working and what is not..

Dealer has another bike that is doing similar things and we’ll have some updates Tuesday afternoon.
No help from H-D as of today, it’s all just guessing. Worst case is to replace the boom unit. I’ll bet Harley doesn’t really want to go there.
 :nixweiss: :soapbox:
HOGMIKE

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2020, 07:01:02 AM »

Mine was pretty consistent this week end.  Power up senna, then start bike.  Some times CarPlay would come up, some times not.  If not, unplug and plug phone back in, then it would come up.  Rode bike lots Friday, Saturday and Sunday. 

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2020, 02:14:11 PM »

Tried the latest sequence:
Turned on the Sena
Started the bike
Plugged in the phone
CarPlay came right up!

Rode about 40 miles with everything working fine.
Stopped for gas
Shut of bike
Gassed up
Started the bike, CarPlay came up for a split second then off, unplugged the phone and plugged it back in, CarPlay came up and worked fine for the remaining 10 miles.

Come on Harley, get this fixed!
HOGMIKE

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2020, 06:32:26 AM »

That is how it works for my 95% of the time. 

It only took Harley 7 months to get the ability to use a iPhone 11Pro as a phone, so I doubt we will see a fix any time soon.....

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2020, 07:19:38 PM »

Our local dealer had the same issues with a 2019 with WHIM installed.
Only way to get CarPlay to work is turn on the Sena, START the bike, plug in the phone. Every time you stop for gas or? You have to repeat this process.

Our SM wanted to make sure my gts had the latest updates (it did) they did a factory reset anyway and we tried again.
No change.
They had called H-D last week about the issue, no help from them.
Let’s see....my $50k cvo doesn’t work as advertised, but our $15k Toyota works fine? Hmmmm
Looks like this is my last new Harley, and I think I’ll sell 2 of my older bikes, I’ve had enough.
HOGMIKE

revolver

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2020, 06:00:58 AM »

I shot off my bleutooth on phone , know all work fine . Did you do the same ?

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2020, 08:37:35 AM »

Let’s see....my $50k cvo doesn’t work as advertised, but our $15k Toyota works fine? Hmmmm
^^^^^^^^^^^
That statement right there is the greatest!

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2020, 10:31:44 PM »

I shot off my bleutooth on phone , know all work fine . Did you do the same ?

I did
No change
I put my SIM card in my old iPhone and tried that....no change.
I’m going to try my friends iPhone to eliminate that. Harley is saying the phone is the problem, not their infotainment system.
They seem to be good at pointing fingers at others.

HOGMIKE

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2020, 06:18:46 AM »

I did
No change
I put my SIM card in my old iPhone and tried that....no change.
I’m going to try my friends iPhone to eliminate that. Harley is saying the phone is the problem, not their infotainment system.
They seem to be good at pointing fingers at others.

They did that for seven months saying it was the Apple iPhone 11 Pros problem, not theirs.  but their update is what fixed the issue.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2020, 08:45:13 AM »

Latest info from MOCO on how to get CarPlay to operate the way it’s supposed to:

1: if the headset was ever paired to the phone, unpair it.
2: make sure the iPhone setting for CarPlay is to activate when iPhone is locked.
3: new cord and good connection from iPhone to usb on bike.
4: repair headset.

Results:
1: my headset is now unpaired. Bluetooth is off, no Bluetooth connection to anything. CarPlay seems to hookup quicker but still will lock out after a gas stop and restart SOMETIMES. Never anything consistent.
2: check
3: check
4: not yet as it is the same issue with my other headset.

I’ll use my other headset and Bluetooth to play my music when on the other bikes, my 2019 is the only one with the gts.
I’ve got a ride on Wednesday and will play with it. MOCO wants an email when I have had a chance to try different settings from a soft reset.
We’ll see.
HOGMIKE

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2020, 08:20:10 PM »

Latest info from MOCO on how to get CarPlay to operate the way it’s supposed to:

1: if the headset was ever paired to the phone, unpair it.
2: make sure the iPhone setting for CarPlay is to activate when iPhone is locked.
3: new cord and good connection from iPhone to usb on bike.
4: repair headset.

Results:
1: my headset is now unpaired. Bluetooth is off, no Bluetooth connection to anything. CarPlay seems to hookup quicker but still will lock out after a gas stop and restart SOMETIMES. Never anything consistent.
2: check
3: check
4: not yet as it is the same issue with my other headset.

I’ll use my other headset and Bluetooth to play my music when on the other bikes, my 2019 is the only one with the gts.
I’ve got a ride on Wednesday and will play with it. MOCO wants an email when I have had a chance to try different settings from a soft reset.
We’ll see.

No real change on my ride today.
CarPlay hooks right up and starts playing my music as it should as soon as I turn on the kill switch and the boom finish the self test.
As soon as I hit the starter button the boom box screen goes blank then Lights up again without CarPlay restarting.
Got my music and all volume controls work but only way to rehook up to CarPlay is after the bike is running, unplug the phone and plug it back in. This works most every time until I stop for lunch or anything.
Sent a email back to Harley with this information, we’ll see if anything good happens.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 08:22:31 PM by HOGMIKE »
HOGMIKE

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2020, 07:02:47 AM »

No real change on my ride today.
CarPlay hooks right up and starts playing my music as it should as soon as I turn on the kill switch and the boom finish the self test.
As soon as I hit the starter button the boom box screen goes blank then Lights up again without CarPlay restarting.
Got my music and all volume controls work but only way to rehook up to CarPlay is after the bike is running, unplug the phone and plug it back in. This works most every time until I stop for lunch or anything.
Sent a email back to Harley with this information, we’ll see if anything good happens.

That describes mine most the time.  Have had it quit a few times while riding, can usually unplug and plug in and it resumes.  Just got a new lightning cord to make sure no cord issues at all. 

Street_Axel

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • DE

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2020, 03:46:18 PM »

I have read a few threads on carplay in the forum and have exactly the same issue. Engine in standby, headsets connected, iphone via USB connected and carplay works as designed. As soon as the engine starts, boom box makes a reset, headsets new connected (a message in the speaker tells that) and no fruit carplay. That is no matter what iphone and cable used. I had a similar issue with my older street glide special with boombox 6.5. I programmed my Navi with engine not running, as soon as I start my engine all Navi programming got lost. I replaced the batterie and the issue was gone. Can the carplay problem be related to the batterie with power going down during engine start. It is definitely a Harley issue and no reason to point to Apple. Any further comments?

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2020, 07:00:52 AM »

I have found if I start my bike before the GTS powers up CarPlay will load if headset is connected and iPhone is connected. 

So I am sure its the interruption of power when starting that causing CarPlay not to load when starting. 

Street_Axel

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • DE

« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2020, 01:21:29 PM »

thanks for this, which my findings. The question I have is, when the MIC is disabled using his Digi tech software, this is discussed in other threads here, will the MIC still work as designed, so I can use e.g. Siri during the ride? I am pretty sure that carplay will stay on during power cycle, if the MIC is disabled.

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2020, 04:01:10 PM »

thanks for this, which my findings. The question I have is, when the MIC is disabled using his Digi tech software, this is discussed in other threads here, will the MIC still work as designed, so I can use e.g. Siri during the ride? I am pretty sure that carplay will stay on during power cycle, if the MIC is disabled.

I had my MIC disabled with the digital technician, my carplay works when ever to plug into the USB, if you use the headset, it will still work on the CB, but SIRI wont hear you and I assume you cant answer the phone and talk, I have never tried the phone though or the intercom. 
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

Street_Axel

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • DE

« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2020, 04:14:03 PM »

thanks for this, it will now give me some good information to talk to my HD dealer.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2020, 06:19:16 AM »

I have found if I start my bike before the GTS powers up CarPlay will load if headset is connected and iPhone is connected. 

So I am sure its the interruption of power when starting that causing CarPlay not to load when starting.

Well, yesterday starting my bike before boom powered up did not work.  In fact twice yesterday nothing would get CarPlay to come up but shutting bike off, letting it sit two minutes or more than starting again.

Guess there is still no way to get it to come out constantly.  My cord is five days old, apple cord to eliminate that.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2020, 08:37:46 AM »

I had my MIC disabled with the digital technician, my carplay works when ever to plug into the USB, if you use the headset, it will still work on the CB, but SIRI wont hear you and I assume you cant answer the phone and talk, I have never tried the phone though or the intercom.
Intercom and phone work just fine with mic disabled for CarPlay and I have used both features since mic disabled. Never even tried Siri before or after but understand if mic is disabled in CarPlay then cannot communicate with Siri.

IBA member # 45520

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2020, 09:01:14 AM »

Well, yesterday starting my bike before boom powered up did not work.  In fact twice yesterday nothing would get CarPlay to come up but shutting bike off, letting it sit two minutes or more than starting again.

Guess there is still no way to get it to come out constantly.  My cord is five days old, apple cord to eliminate that.

CarPlay seems to hook up a little easier if you set Bluetooth “off” in your settings.
It still won’t hook up all the time when you start the bike.

Still NO response from H-D from the last email they requested from me if I had tried all their suggestions.
Guess I’ll call again today. :nixweiss:
HOGMIKE

Street_Axel

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • DE

« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2020, 12:28:05 PM »

thanks, I tried various iPhones and different cords, all the same and aigan I can confirm your findings. I think the trouble will be gone as soon as Apple eliminates the dependency to the headset. Of course I need Siri with carplay.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2020, 06:57:42 AM »

CarPlay seems to hook up a little easier if you set Bluetooth “off” in your settings.
It still won’t hook up all the time when you start the bike.

Still NO response from H-D from the last email they requested from me if I had tried all their suggestions.
Guess I’ll call again today. :nixweiss:

Thanks, I will try to see if that helps.  Again yesterday the bike would not recognize my phone as plugged in so no CarPlay.  Shut it off for five minutes and still would not recognize my phone on a cord used for five days.  Frustrating, when it hooks up no mater what in my 18 corvette, or 17 F-150, never an issue.

I'm calling useless customer service again. 

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2020, 08:05:56 AM »

Thanks, I will try to see if that helps.  Again yesterday the bike would not recognize my phone as plugged in so no CarPlay.  Shut it off for five minutes and still would not recognize my phone on a cord used for five days.  Frustrating, when it hooks up no mater what in my 18 corvette, or 17 F-150, never an issue.

I'm calling useless customer service again.

I called customer care again yesterday. Gave the nice young man my SerReqNo, he looked it up and said “oh I see you were dealing with....... and the tech.........
I’ll have her call you back as she’s with another customer.
NADA
 :drink:
HOGMIKE

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2020, 12:02:30 PM »

After a 20 minute phone call from tech support at Harley it looks like the only way to insure that CarPlay works on my 2019 cvo limited is to start the bike THEN plug in the phone every time.

He said that when you pull in to gas up, hit the kill switch to stop the engine but leave the acc switch on.
The cvo doesn’t have an acc switch. The trigger switch on the left switch pod will allow CarPlay also, but will still disable it when the bike is started.

Harley is correct saying these bikes allow CarPlay to work if bike has a “whim” but getting it up and running requires lots of steps on the riders part before it happens.
It seems to me there should be a software tweak that is possible to fix this problem.
HOGMIKE

Street_Axel

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • DE

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2020, 12:11:21 PM »

thanks for this Information. I agree the only way is to start the engine and then plug in the iPhone. Most of the time CarPlay will work then. I had a diskussion here in Germany with my friendly dealer and he said that this issue is been discussed every now and then during regular dealer meetings with Harley. HD is very well informell about that problem but software changes to fix that are still outstanding. He also said that CarPlay is a very good selling point for Harley bikes and all dealers complain that HD need to fix that a.s.a.p.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2020, 06:41:13 AM »

Mike, I was told the same by Customer service, plug phone in after starting.  So far it works like that but is a pain.

As for gas stops most all the time, it will restart once I start the bike if I un plug and plug it back in.  It too is a pain.

17 Truck and 18 Car do not need any plug in or un plug silly-ness to work.  Plug it in when you want, it always works first time.  Seems to me it should work that way on my 19 Harley.

I am sure CarPlay is a big selling point for Harley.  I know dealers want it fixed as they get lots of complaints and nothing they can do about it. 

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2020, 08:53:31 AM »

Mike, I was told the same by Customer service, plug phone in after starting.  So far it works like that but is a pain.

As for gas stops most all the time, it will restart once I start the bike if I un plug and plug it back in.  It too is a pain.

17 Truck and 18 Car do not need any plug in or un plug silly-ness to work.  Plug it in when you want, it always works first time.  Seems to me it should work that way on my 19 Harley.

I am sure CarPlay is a big selling point for Harley.  I know dealers want it fixed as they get lots of complaints and nothing they can do about it.

I was told by my dealer that all things were fixed on this bike that were problems on my 2017.
Not blaming the dealer, he was just repeating what the factory told him.
Issues with QC and denial of the issues from tech support are frustrating to say the least!

It seems the more “features” offered on the new bikes to entice buyers, the more things to not work properly or are defective from the start.
“They all do that” trickledown mantra from H-D to the dealers.

Mine has been  a 2 year journey to get the bike sorted out under the warranty time.

My last conversation with the H-D tech gave me the impression that his hands were tied and this is the only option now. It’s up to management to get QC back on track, and follow through on promises.

I’ll keep my 2019 for now as the power train is nice and no problems there for now (esp is in my future as, I can’t trust the bike). I’ll be selling off some of my older bikes to make room for another hot rod.

JMHO :soapbox:
HOGMIKE

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2020, 02:45:26 PM »

I recently upgraded to the GTS on my 2018 CVO RG which of course has WHIM and Sena 20 (with latest update). I was having issues with getting Carplay to work as it's been hit and miss. After reading this thread, then unpairing the Sena from my phone and then not plugging in the phone (iPhone 2020 SE, has the same chip as 11 with latest updates) to the USB until after starting the bike it seems to be working much better, BUT, when I hit the call/speak button on the left handlebar control to make a phone call I get an audible prompt through my Sena headset "no phone connected"???
Any Ideas? I'm assuming it's something in the settings of my iPhone.  :nixweiss:

Any help would be appreciated.
TIA
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2020, 07:41:56 AM »

I recently upgraded to the GTS on my 2018 CVO RG which of course has WHIM and Sena 20 (with latest update). I was having issues with getting Carplay to work as it's been hit and miss. After reading this thread, then unpairing the Sena from my phone and then not plugging in the phone (iPhone 2020 SE, has the same chip as 11 with latest updates) to the USB until after starting the bike it seems to be working much better, BUT, when I hit the call/speak button on the left handlebar control to make a phone call I get an audible prompt through my Sena headset "no phone connected"???
Any Ideas? I'm assuming it's something in the settings of my iPhone.  :nixweiss:

Any help would be appreciated.
TIA

If you are using CarPlay when you hit the call/speak button, and its a short push you are trying to make the call through the bike.  It will not work as the phone is connected via CarPlay.

Solution is simple, press and hold the call/speak button for a few seconds.  Then you will be making the call through CarPlay. 

You are just not pressing the call/voice long enough for siri.....

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2020, 12:14:25 PM »

Ahhhh, thanks Dave. This system definitely has a non user friendly learning curve. I really appreciate the help.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 24 queries.