Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TPMS for 2015 CVO Owners?  (Read 1931 times)

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
TPMS for 2015 CVO Owners?
« on: June 14, 2020, 05:45:35 PM »

Have any 2015 CVO owners figured out how to retrofit their bikes to use either the CVO 2016+ TPMS systems, or the 2020 TPMS (42300124)? I've seen a number of posts by 2015 owners indicating they'd love to update their bikes to display the tire pressure information which was standard on the 2016+ CVO's. Research produced a few answers :2vrolijk_21: and more questions :nixweiss::

Regarding the 2020 TPMS (42300124) which supposedly only works for 2020 models, a P&A REVIEW comment stated: "we've installed these on several builds on bikes that has the latest GTS radio and it works perfect even on a 2014 FLHX that we installed the 19-newer radio on and works perfect and with his HD-Connect service". the 2/23/2020 review by NYExpress302 - Long Island, NY suggests it can be done, but didn't mention any details. I'd like to ask them. Anyone know who NYExpress302 is?

The retrofit challenges using the 2016+ TPMS systems include the following questions/answers:
  :2vrolijk_21: Wheel$ - as most Harley wheels use 11.3mm valve stems, will the 2016 8.3mm sensors fit? The 2015 CVO's came equipped with Slicer style wheels which forum posters claim work with the sensors. There's also an inexpensive metal FOBO valve stem adapter available if your wheels had the 11.3mm size. Additionally, I've measured my Slicers and they have the 8.3mm valve stems. My research discovered photos showing the sensors will fit despite a dubious claim the 2016+ wheels have a "required slot" for the sensors to work/fit properly.
 :nixweiss: BCM (Body Control Module) - a number of forum posts indicate the BCM along with the FOB's changed in 2016 (to 41000341) and our 2015 BCM's and FOB's would need to be updated/replaced in order to communicate with the sensors. New Castle H-D offers BCM 41000341 for $285, but I can't find a matching FOB in P&A :nixweiss: Can anyone help me with this?
  :2vrolijk_21: Tire pressure display and warnings - the 2015 CVO tachometer lacks the warning light present on the 2016+ models, but the 6.5GT or 6.5GTS head units will display a warning pop-up similar to the "low fuel" warning. Of course both the head unit and BCM would need to be flashed by H-D to enable TPMS.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 06:43:11 PM by Trigger-Man »
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
Re: TPMS for 2015 CVO Owners?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 11:09:52 PM »

I am sorry to see that you did not receive a reply. I installed the GTS last month and would love to do a TPMS upgrade. Please let me know if you get any information, or have any luck.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 03:03:10 PM »

I am sorry to see that you did not receive a reply. I installed the GTS last month and would love to do a TPMS upgrade. Please let me know if you get any information, or have any luck.
Upgraded to the GTS as well and loving the improvement :2vrolijk_21: The lack of response probably means my post had too much information motor1 ::)

UPDATE: This information applies specifically to 2015 FLTRUSE owners wanting to retrofit the TPMS feature introduced in the 2016 FLTRUSE. Research indicated we needed wheel sensors, an updated BCM to receive the pressure signal and a means to display tire pressure as well as low pressure warnings.
 :2vrolijk_21: BCM (Body Control Module: Was mostly having an issue identifying/ordering the correct BCM (41000341) but had an epiphany moment when I realized that the 41000341 BCM was included in the 41000087F Smart Security System Kit which also includes the newer FOB's.
 :2vrolijk_21: WHEELS/8.3mm Sensors: Consulted the part number lists of the 2015 & 2016 FLTRUSE model years and determined the wheel part numbers are identical, i.e. since TP sensors were standard on the 2016 CVO Slicer wheels, our 2015 Slicer wheels should accommodate the sensors as well;
 :2vrolijk_21: Tire pressure display and warnings: the 2015 CVO tachometer lacks the warning light present on the 2016+ models, but the 6.5GT or 6.5GTS head units will display a warning pop-up similar to the "low fuel" warning. Accordingly, I'll not bother ordering a 2016+ CVO gauge($) for a warning light. Of course both the GT/GTS head unit and BCM would need to be flashed by H-D to enable TPMS displays and the newer FOB's.

So, unless someone advises of a discrepancy in the above logic, I'm planning to place an order for the following:
•   2 each: 32700052 Chrome Wheel Valve-Sensors (32700096 if you wanted black);
•   1 each: 41000087F Smart Security System Kit;
 :drummer: Total cost for TPMS parts is approximately $450

Probably won't perform the installation until tire replacement ........so need the country to open up more to accommodate a few thousand miles of Road Tripping :(
In the meanwhile I'm hoping for some helpful confirmation feedback. NOTE: similar logic should apply for upgrading 2017 - 2019 model years except for the BCM requirement (which they already have) and the possibility of needing an adapter if their wheel's valve stem holes are 11.3mm.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 11:47:16 AM by Trigger-Man »
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Glenncarp

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 03:01:28 PM »

Have any 2015 CVO owners figured out how to retrofit their bikes to use either the CVO 2016+ TPMS systems, or the 2020 TPMS (42300124)? I've seen a number of posts by 2015 owners indicating they'd love to update their bikes to display the tire pressure information which was standard on the 2016+ CVO's. Research produced a few answers :2vrolijk_21: and more questions :nixweiss::

Regarding the 2020 TPMS (42300124) which supposedly only works for 2020 models, a P&A REVIEW comment stated: "we've installed these on several builds on bikes that has the latest GTS radio and it works perfect even on a 2014 FLHX that we installed the 19-newer radio on and works perfect and with his HD-Connect service". the 2/23/2020 review by NYExpress302 - Long Island, NY suggests it can be done, but didn't mention any details. I'd like to ask them. Anyone know who NYExpress302 is?

The retrofit challenges using the 2016+ TPMS systems include the following questions/answers:
  :2vrolijk_21: Wheel$ - as most Harley wheels use 11.3mm valve stems, will the 2016 8.3mm sensors fit? The 2015 CVO's came equipped with Slicer style wheels which forum posters claim work with the sensors. There's also an inexpensive metal FOBO valve stem adapter available if your wheels had the 11.3mm size. Additionally, I've measured my Slicers and they have the 8.3mm valve stems. My research discovered photos showing the sensors will fit despite a dubious claim the 2016+ wheels have a "required slot" for the sensors to work/fit properly.
 :nixweiss: BCM (Body Control Module) - a number of forum posts indicate the BCM along with the FOB's changed in 2016 (to 41000341) and our 2015 BCM's and FOB's would need to be updated/replaced in order to communicate with the sensors. New Castle H-D offers BCM 41000341 for $285, but I can't find a matching FOB in P&A :nixweiss: Can anyone help me with this?
  :2vrolijk_21: Tire pressure display and warnings - the 2015 CVO tachometer lacks the warning light present on the 2016+ models, but the 6.5GT or 6.5GTS head units will display a warning pop-up similar to the "low fuel" warning. Of course both the head unit and BCM would need to be flashed by H-D to enable TPMS.

Since my new bike is a non-CVO, it did not come with TPMS feature. Love Amazon, for $48, bought set of 4 caps that are bluetooth and uses phone app

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TB3GZF8/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gave 2 to my buddy and split the cost. had too much air in front tire so I started letting it out, phone started alerting me that I had a leak in the front tire. As I was filling rear tire, PSI on app went up as air was going in. Instructions are in Chinese and almost useless, I found best way to pair caps with app is to choose "manual" and scan code that comes on card with product, then it worked immediately.

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 06:00:38 PM »

Upgraded to the GTS as well and loving the improvement :2vrolijk_21: The lack of response probably means my post had too much information motor1 ::)

UPDATE: This information applies specifically to 2015 FLTRUSE owners wanting to retrofit the TPMS feature introduced in the 2016 FLTRUSE. Research indicated we needed wheel sensors, an updated BCM to receive the pressure signal and a means to display tire pressure as well as low pressure warnings.
 :2vrolijk_21: BCM (Body Control Module: Was mostly having an issue identifying/ordering the correct BCM (41000341) but had an epiphany moment when I realized that the 41000341 BCM was included in the 41000087F Smart Security System Kit which also includes the newer FOB's.
 :2vrolijk_21: WHEELS/8.3mm Sensors: Consulted the part number lists of the 2015 & 2016 FLTRUSE model years and determined the wheel part numbers are identical, i.e. since TP sensors were standard on the 2016 CVO Slicer wheels, our 2015 Slicer wheels should accommodate the sensors as well;
 :2vrolijk_21: Tire pressure display and warnings: the 2015 CVO tachometer lacks the warning light present on the 2016+ models, but the 6.5GT or 6.5GTS head units will display a warning pop-up similar to the "low fuel" warning. Accordingly, I'll not bother ordering a 2016+ CVO gauge($) for a warning light. Of course both the GT/GTS head unit and BCM would need to be flashed by H-D to enable TPMS displays and the newer FOB's.

So, unless someone advises of a discrepancy in the above logic, I'm planning to place an order for the following:
•   2 each: 32700052 Chrome Wheel Valve-Sensors (32700096 if you wanted black);
•   1 each: 41000087F Smart Security System Kit;
 :drummer: Total cost for TPMS parts is approximately $450

Probably won't perform the installation until tire replacement ........so need the country to open up more to accommodate a few thousand miles of Road Tripping :(
In the meanwhile I'm hoping for some helpful confirmation feedback. NOTE: similar logic should apply for upgrading 2017 - 2019 model years except for the BCM requirement (which they already have) and the possibility of needing an adapter if their wheel's valve stem holes are 11.3mm.
SUCCESS :2vrolijk_21: Returned from 2000 mile Yellowstone NP, Beartooth Scenic Byway and Mount Rushmore road trip. Took 2015 FLTRUSE in for 40k service and new Michelin Commander III's. Had tire pressure sensors installed and GTS flashed appropriately. Delighted to say that this upgrade works with the part numbers described. The TPMS system is now almost identical to the 2016 FLTRUSE ...........only missing the low pressure warning light in the tachometer. While replacing the tach instrument to get the warning light is a possibility, I don't think its worth it as a low pressure warning popup should appear on the GTS Infotainment screen.
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

JMK

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE7(sold)
    • CVO3: FLHTCUSE3(sold)
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2023, 05:01:00 PM »

I know this is an old thread but my BCM appears to have just died in my 15 FLTRUSE. I am wondering what was the difference in the key fobs in the new kit you got from the stock ones, and do you think it would have worked just as well if you only got the new BCM and tpms sensors.

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.