Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Neutral indicator not working  (Read 593 times)

RichardGee

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Neutral indicator not working
« on: August 18, 2020, 08:23:05 PM »

2012 CVO Ultra. Neutral indicator quit working. I have verified the Neutral switch on transmission, tests GOOD.  Tan and black wires and connectors going to the switch in perfect condition.
I tried grounding the tan wire to the case - still NO Neutral indicator.
Wondering IF I may have a bad bulb, but am not finding any info on checking or removing and replacing the Indicator lamp bezel assembly??
I have the Clymer Harley service manual and even it does not address replacement.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 10:46:27 AM by RichardGee »

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
Re: Neutral indicator not working
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 08:56:14 PM »

Seems not too long ago someone posted a similar problem but with a turn signal not working. Check to see if you can find that post. I think they replaced the whole light strip that has a wire and connector to it. Hope this helps and you get it fixed..

RichardGee

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 02:39:02 PM »

OK going to answer my own question and hopefully it helps someone else with this same problem:

First, ran the start up diagnostics that energize every instrument and light.  Everything worked EXCEPT the Neutral indicator.
I used an Ohm meter to check the Neutral switch on the transmission.  In Neutral, the switch is closed (0 ohms). In gear, the switch is open.
All that remained was accessing the Bezel Assembly, Indicator Lamps, p/n 68789-96B
This wasn't difficult:  Removing the tach and speedo allow easy access.  Both the tach and speedo are held on with 2 screws each.
Once they are out of the way, the Indicator lamp part can be removed by releasing 4 retainer tabs.
To access the actual lamps/circuit board, you must pry open the plastic housing, which has 4 retainer clips.
Looking closely at the circuit board, it is obvious the IC that drives the Neutral lamp is burned out.

I ordered replacement part 68789-96B

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 08:49:19 PM »

Sweet! Good find.....

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 24 queries.