Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rockford Fosgate HD9813 HU display falling off.  (Read 1011 times)

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Rockford Fosgate HD9813 HU display falling off.
« on: August 23, 2020, 09:01:04 PM »

Noticed the display panel on the RF HU looked a little strange after it got rained on at work one day. Thought maybe there was a thin plastic protective film on it and water got behind it. After a little further investigation I discovered the whole display panel loose.
  I've emailed RF to see if they have a fix for something like this. Here's what I sent them.

"Hey there,
I'm the second owner of a 2012 Road Glide that the previous owner had your full RF system installed about a year ago. I do not have any exact dates other than it was last summer. HD9813, 400 watt amp and front and rear speakers.
Recently my bike got soaked pretty good at work by a pop up heavy rain. I noticed what appears to be what I thought was a protective screen starting to peel up from the bottom of the display after that. Upon further inspection, the whole display seems like it's about ready to fall out. Is there a simple way to fix this with a dab of glue or will that screw things up? Pictures are enclosed.

Thanks
Mike "

I'll update what they say when I get a response back from them. Just wanted to put this out there for others.

Sent from my boring Droid phone.

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Re: Rockford Fosgate HD9813 HU display falling off.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 06:25:44 AM »

Sure hope there is an easy fix for you. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 07:59:10 AM »

Hopefully they get back to you quickly. Kathy and I have been talking about putting that same radio in her bike. Please keep us updated.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 10:04:30 AM »

Got a reply back yesterday. The cliff notes version because the rest of the email is all automated stuff with links. I had emailed them previously about other questions with this HU right after I bought the bike and they responded within a day. I may get another response tonight as well.

"Response By Email (Steve) (08/24/2020 05:27 PM)

I am checking with the repair department to see what they think, not sure if that is repairable or not.  I will let you know when I hear back from them."

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 08:39:35 PM »

Hope it all works out.  On a side note, how does the whole system sound? Is it the speakers that go in the saddlebag lids or tour pak. Only asking for my wife.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 09:36:48 PM »

This hit my inbox at 11:51 am today. Mind you I'm on East coast time and Phoenix is 2-3 hours behind us.

"Response By Email (Steve) (08/25/2020 08:51 AM)
Ok, I was able to get a warranty claim approved through Customer Service.  Go ahead and submit your information on the website at the link below.  In the notes please explain what the failure is and that you go this approved by Steve in Technical Support.  You can also add the same pictures as well. "

I'm liking these guys. :2vrolijk_21:

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 09:48:58 PM »

Hope it all works out.  On a side note, how does the whole system sound? Is it the speakers that go in the saddlebag lids or tour pak. Only asking for my wife.
Jury is still out on it. Shark nose bike with saddlebag speakers. Not sure what your better half is riding but if it's a batwing then speaker location up front is different from mine.

Comparing this to the Boom 2 in my '15 Shark is probably not a good comparison because believe it or not, I think my '15 sounds a lot better quality wise. Here's the kicker. The '15 is an Ultra with TP speakers and also has a taller windshield to help keep the sound from being blown past you so to speak. The Rushedmore bikes with the TP also has something going on with the rear speakers ported into the TP or something like that and it makes a big difference in sound. 

600 watts on the Ultra and it's pretty loud on the highway.
400 watts on the Custom and it's louder than the Ultra to the point of wanting to make your ears bleed. However, I just can't get the quality of sound dialed in like I want it.  I'm running stock HD Windsplitter on the '12 and reached out to Memphis Shades about a new shield for it last week (still no response from them but that's another story) hoping that a different shield will help keep some of the sound where I'd like to have it. It sounds great at low speeds but once you hit about 30mph, it just seems like the sound gets blown past you. I don't have that issue with the Ultra. Again, that could be all wind management.

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 09:05:34 PM »

Thanks for the info. She rides a 13 street glide. It has a older Rockford amp and different 6.5" speakers in it but she wants something a little louder. We met some new friends and he said he could build something better for less but she isn't sure what to do. Probably doing the Rockford radio no matter what cause hers is starting to act up again. Sent it to iron cross a few years ago and samething is happening again, so time for a fresh start.

Glenncarp

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 05:34:41 PM »

Jury is still out on it. Shark nose bike with saddlebag speakers. Not sure what your better half is riding but if it's a batwing then speaker location up front is different from mine.

Comparing this to the Boom 2 in my '15 Shark is probably not a good comparison because believe it or not, I think my '15 sounds a lot better quality wise. Here's the kicker. The '15 is an Ultra with TP speakers and also has a taller windshield to help keep the sound from being blown past you so to speak. The Rushedmore bikes with the TP also has something going on with the rear speakers ported into the TP or something like that and it makes a big difference in sound. 

600 watts on the Ultra and it's pretty loud on the highway.
400 watts on the Custom and it's louder than the Ultra to the point of wanting to make your ears bleed. However, I just can't get the quality of sound dialed in like I want it.  I'm running stock HD Windsplitter on the '12 and reached out to Memphis Shades about a new shield for it last week (still no response from them but that's another story) hoping that a different shield will help keep some of the sound where I'd like to have it. It sounds great at low speeds but once you hit about 30mph, it just seems like the sound gets blown past you. I don't have that issue with the Ultra. Again, that could be all wind management.

Just an FYI, they sell the port kit at HD for like $49. I installed one in my '11 SERGU, '16 had it stock. Removed speaker pods, dill 2" holes behind pods into TP and the bass from the speaker turns TP into larger woofer type box, adds some depth to the sound and sounded louder to me, but maybe I was just trying to justify it. Still well worth $49 and an hour of work. Not sure of they upgraded kit yet, but my CVO had lined TP and little port grills did not reach the hole drilled behind the pod, so I used strips of velcro on back of pod grills to hold them to the TP lining. Mine may have sounded better if grill tube reached pod with no break, still sound a lot better with them installed though.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 05:09:06 PM »

They verdict is in. I received a brand new head unit today from RF. Considering my first post explaining my situation, I'd say that's pretty damn good customer service.

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.