Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: engine guard cooler with lower fairing ok or not  (Read 795 times)

martzford85

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 Electra Glide Classic
engine guard cooler with lower fairing ok or not
« on: July 01, 2020, 09:26:16 AM »

I searched to try and find this topic but couldn't find what I was looking for, so hopefully I didn't miss it.  What I am trying to find out is some pros and cons on using lower fairings on an engine guard that is an oil cooler or any other info that would be helpful. I'm riding and 1999 Electra Glide Classic with Delkron 117 heads, carbed, and an baker 6 speed overdrive.

Thanks in advance

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: engine guard cooler with lower fairing ok or not
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 11:58:59 AM »

Are you asking about mounting a vertical oil cooler onto your bike and keeping the lowers on, or turning your crash bar into an oil cooler and keeping the lowers on?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

martzford85

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 12:08:07 PM »

My engine guard is an oil cooler and I was wanting to add lower fairings to it. I seen your one comment about wrapping the guard with chamois, and they worked fine. Is that still the case and do you by chance have any pictures of your set up?

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 12:47:54 PM »

I don't have it done on my current bike, but I did on my '01 Ultra. And yes, wrap the crash bar at all the contact points with the lowers. Before I did that, I actually melted the contact part of lowers.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

martzford85

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 01:25:06 PM »

That's what am afraid of. I live in South Carolina just across the river from Georgia and it gets hot here in the summer 100+. How bad did they melt?

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 01:43:16 PM »

Nothing visible. It was all hidden under the caps that cover the front of the lowers. It also melted where the large clamp secures the bottom of the lower to the crash bar, but that too is not visible. I can't really say it melted, as in running like soft butter, but it did deform the plastic.

martzford85

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 02:45:57 PM »

Ten Four, that makes it a little better that it wont melt off the bike while i'm riding around :bananarock:. Do you know by chance what temp or guess what temps your 01 were possibly running or averaged at? I know running temp is usually around 235° F

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 03:03:30 PM »

Ten Four, that makes it a little better that it wont melt off the bike while i'm riding around :bananarock:. Do you know by chance what temp or guess what temps your 01 were possibly running or averaged at? I know running temp is usually around 235° F

That about what mine ran too.

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 24 queries.