Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Klock Werks or other extended windshield feedback  (Read 12852 times)

NMLazz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

Klock Werks or other extended windshield feedback
« on: May 16, 2015, 01:14:29 PM »

Hello all! I have a 2014 CVO RK and was curious if any have tried the Billboard Flare windscreen from Klock Werks. (Or similar)

I like the stock windshield, but was curious for long trips if the bigger windscreen is worth the expense / trouble. If the wind was dampened significantly or not, I would like to know.

Thanks for your feedback.

Nick

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: Klock Werks or other extended windshield feedback
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 02:41:17 PM »

I replaced my stock windsplitter with a 20 inch LRS tinted shield and the wind protection and reduction in noise was tremendous. I did not even keep the windsplitter, I sold it on EBay. I know other folks on here have went with the Klockwerks and love it also.

jpdchicago

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 04:37:44 PM »

I replaced mine with HD part #57994-94 which was the standard height 20" windshield for the former  regular Road King (up to 2012). If you go that route, make sure you do not order the current assembly for the regular Road King 2013 and later. It is shorter than that (17 or 18")
The 20" works great for me up to 100 mph (on a closed circuit of course...:))
Looks great too...

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 04:52:21 PM »

Also, If you decide to go with an aftermarket plastic like klockwerks or LRS you will need the hardware for a regular stock road king windshield. The hardware that the windsplitter is on has a totally different shape.

NMLazz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 05:08:50 PM »

Also, If you decide to go with an aftermarket plastic like klockwerks or LRS you will need the hardware for a regular stock road king windshield. The hardware that the windsplitter is on has a totally different shape.

So with different mounting hardware can my stock mount stay on or does it have to be removed? I wanted to be able to quickly switch just for long trips.
Thanks!

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 05:13:58 PM »

The stock mounting points (The rubber grommets) on the sides of the forks are fine. The regular road king hardware and the windsplitter hardware both fit on the same mounting points.

Bromebe

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2001 CVO FXDWG2 Switchblade
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 05:45:57 PM »

just got thru replacing mine, the factory 13 shield then ordered a
Klock werks but it does not work with the factory mounts and you can't find the hardware to mount the windshield to, so I sent mine back,
bought the factory Road King windshield from the dealer, about $300 and then ordered the Freedom Shield to replace the clear shield on the factory order and it was still cheaper than trying to find hardware for the Klock werks!
can't believe they are selling the shield and there is no easy or cheap way to use?
2013 CVO Screaning Eagle Road King - Big Blue
2001 CVO  Switchblade - Flash (sold)

NMLazz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 07:02:07 PM »

just got thru replacing mine, the factory 13 shield then ordered a
Klock werks but it does not work with the factory mounts and you can't find the hardware to mount the windshield to, so I sent mine back,
bought the factory Road King windshield from the dealer, about $300 and then ordered the Freedom Shield to replace the clear shield on the factory order and it was still cheaper than trying to find hardware for the Klock werks!
can't believe they are selling the shield and there is no easy or cheap way to use?

Thanks guys...that's disappointing Bromebe...I like the Klockwerks windshield. Hopefully someone has a solution.
How about sizing? I read somewhere to size about even with your nose but I'm just looking for best (I realize that is a matter of opinion...but I'm interested in yours) long road trip type of shield. I'm 5'11" ish  ;D
How have you sized all of yours for that type of riding?

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 07:06:54 PM by NMLazz »

Bromebe

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2001 CVO FXDWG2 Switchblade
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 08:10:50 AM »

Morning LAZZ,
at 6'-3" the factory 17" was way to low,
getting the new HD Road King full assembly kit which came with a 22" really kept the wind out of my face and above
so the Freedom Shield I bought that looks pretty much just like the factory shield without the vent
is a 20" Tinted, that should solve both the height and the choice to keep the bike looking factory

Should be able to get the bike out a little later this week and take pictures of all shield changes!
bottle line it really is only costing me about $450 to do this crazy change, height is an advantage most of the time
2013 CVO Screaning Eagle Road King - Big Blue
2001 CVO  Switchblade - Flash (sold)

NMLazz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 11:12:38 AM »

Hey Bomebe, do you have any pictures of the bike with the Freedom shield on it? I was able to locate the brackets for $75. I orignally thought I wanted the Klock Werks but after seeing all the positve posts about Freedom shields, I may be leaning that way.

If anyone else has a RK with the Freedom shield and can share a picture, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Scanbike

• NORWAY

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5 ANV CVO ROAD KING
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 02:50:31 PM »

Morning LAZZ,
at 6'-3" the factory 17" was way to low,
getting the new HD Road King full assembly kit which came with a 22" really kept the wind out of my face and above
so the Freedom Shield I bought that looks pretty much just like the factory shield without the vent
is a 20" Tinted, that should solve both the height and the choice to keep the bike looking factory

Should be able to get the bike out a little later this week and take pictures of all shield changes!
bottle line it really is only costing me about $450 to do this crazy change, height is an advantage most of the time

I would like to see pictures? thinking of buying the same. or 22 "clear.

NMLazz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 12:08:32 PM »

He posted a couple pictures tint : http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=101281.msg1319038#msg1319038

And clear...I think this is HD windscreen : http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=101281.msg1318704#msg1318704

I just ordered the 20" clear from Freedom Shields. I can send photos of that if you want...hasn't shipped yet, so not sure on timeline.

Harleyman CVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2013 RK Burgundy blaze fusion graphics
    • CVO2: 15 Sg ultra violet blue molten lava flames
once you go CVO there's no going back

Premiums69

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

• CVO1: 2013 Road King CVO
    • CVO2: 2007 Trotta/Thunder Cycle
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 05:21:23 PM »

Just ordered a 16" freedom shield medium grey tint....Will be here in about a week.

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 11:36:06 PM »

check this out  http://freedomshields.net/Windshields/_CVO_ROAD_KING_Windshield.html

Darn that is what I get for selling my stock 2013 FLHRSE5 windshield. I wish I still had the stock brackets now.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 21 queries.