Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: 13 vs 14  (Read 8756 times)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Re: 13 vs 14
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2016, 08:51:34 PM »

Yeah but no. I have riden lots of them in the Police Motor officer training program and done tests on this.

How many brake comparisons did you do going from 45-55 mph braking 100%?

EVERY rider should be a professional. I am a Commercial pilot and hold myself to the same standards. How many flights am I okay to crash not being a professional? I a rider can't out brake  the pre 2013 brakes a rider is really really a poor rider.

By the way, the linked part is not good. A competent rider don't want that. It's good they delink at lower speed.

Why do you believe your ABS brakes are good?

I often practice panic stops.  Just like I often practice doing figure 8's in the box.  I take the experienced rider course every couple years.  I have taken ride like a pro. 

I do at least a couple times a month practice on a MSF range, and do practice panic stops on different surfaces.

If you read my comment, I prefer the non linked brakes.  Yes they de link at 25 mph.  I wish they were not linked at all.  What happens if I miss judge a curve and enter a little to hot?  If I go to drag the rear brake to scrub a little speed the front also brakes, which is bad.

I think the ABS is good because they are far more consistent than 90% of the riders out there.  90% have no clue what threshold braking is and how important it is to know where it is on your bike if it is non ABS.  I have seen a locked rear cause many riders to go down, where if they knew threshold braking Technique they would not have gone down.

I have only comparison to bikes I have owned for test hard braking.  At my home there are only two bikes with out ABS, my 03 Fatboy and my wife's 09 Heritage.  From 50 mph my king will stop 5 to 10 feet sooner than either of those bikes.  In the rain the king is significantly superior in stoping to those two bikes.

My wife has ABS bikes and non, she does not ride the heritage if the forecast has rain.  She rides the ABS road glide special she has.

As for my 13 CVO King and my 15 CVO Road glide, 50 mph panic stop varies, some times the king wins some time the Road glide, I would give the edge to the road glide, but not by much.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

wiliturk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2016, 12:10:49 AM »

Thank you all for your comments. Everyone has gave me something to consider and that's what I wanted. Please, don't stop. This has been a thought provoking thread from every angle. As far as looks are concerned, I cant say I like one over the other. I thought I would want the '14 because of the bigger forks. Before music was never a consideration, now it is. I like the chrome headlight bezel over the painted but of course I want the daymaker lights. From what you all have said, I think either bike would be great. But please, continue the discussion. This has been excellent reading.

ordlord11

• Full CVO Member
  • IYAOYAS I.B.N.F.E Local 8251

• CVO1: 2013 SERK Burgundy Red
    • CVO2: 2009 SEUC Silver/Blue
    • CVO3: non CVO 2007 Road King Classic
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2016, 08:19:48 PM »

Yeah but no. I have riden lots of them in the Police Motor officer training program and done tests on this.

How many brake comparisons did you do going from 45-55 mph braking 100%?

EVERY rider should be a professional. I am a Commercial pilot and hold myself to the same standards. How many flights am I okay to crash not being a professional? I a rider can't out brake  the pre 2013 brakes a rider is really really a poor rider.

By the way, the linked part is not good. A competent rider don't want that. It's good they delink at lower speed.

Why do you believe your ABS brakes are good?

What was your blood pressure during your last flight physical....LOL.  Can't be right all the time...

IBNFE
Rinehart TD, SE AC, SERT Dyno Tune, clearview recurve shield

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2016, 11:43:45 AM »

What put me over the top for the 13, was the paint and stereo. The red with fusion graphics is my favorite production Harley paint job of all time. And I wanted a touring bike without a fairing, but still wanted a stereo. I'm sure folks will want to throw vegetables at me, but to me fairings look a little goofy and out of place on a motorcycle. Like someone buying a Corvette and putting a big wind deflector on the hood.

Overall it was like the 13 was made for me personally as far as looks and features. However, I would have absolutely no problems riding the 14. I do like the Rushmore stuff. But like I mentioned, paint and stereo put me over the edge for the 13. I am short, so I don't have much trouble hearing the radio at higher speeds. Though on a windy day you may have to crank it a bit. I have no complaints about brakes, comfort, etc.
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 21 queries.